HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2005, 5:01 AM

^ i don't think they could ever add on a 400' hotel to the bloomingdales project under construction now. from an engineering perspective, i don't think it would be possible. in any case, zoning only allows for a maximum height of 160' if i'm not mistaken. the developers (with the help of redevelopment and former mayor willie brown) were pushing for a 400' hotel to make the project, in their words, "economically feasible".

i'm still holding out hope that they'll eventually do away with the pickwick hotel and replace it with a 5 star luxury hotel. maybe then, you'll get your 400' tower there!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2005, 4:06 PM

I'm still trying to grasp the larger picture of how this all works, but I thought that when a parcel was entitled, those entitlements lasted for a certain period of time. If the building's 400' height was approved, doesn't that mean that even though the area might be zoned for 160', that lot is allowed to exceed this and reach 400?

Could they atleast, from an engineering perspective, again, I am just postulating, go at least to say 200ft?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 4:06 AM

if i'm not mistaken, the project never had approvals/ permits for the 400' hotel. i would double check with j church, fflint, or craeg to make sure.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 4:07 AM

if i'm not mistaken, the project never had approvals/ permits for the 400' hotel. i would double check with j church, fflint, or craeg to make sure.

and i still don't think they could add a 200' or 400' hotel to the existing bloomingdales without closing the store and completing extensive renovations to support a new tower.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 7:01 AM

Interesting.

I actually went back in the Biz Times and Chronicle to check the stories about the tower. It seems that they just couldn't get financing for a hotel at the time.

I wonder why they didn't either pursue a half condo, or all condo development to help subsidize, or why they didn't divvy it into two phases with the tower at a later date. Their thought seemed to be that hotels were too risky. Now you've got St. Regis, InterContinental, Sofitel a few blocks down. I think if there was a phase two, the timing would have been perfect.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 4:42 PM
Proud upstanding member

I commented at the time that the hotel portion had been cancelled that it was foolish to not pursue housing on the site.
I'm fairly certain that they had approval for the 400' portion of the project - wasnt it that one sliver of the site was already zoned for something that tall?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 5:11 PM
Proud upstanding member

Maybe not. I checked the height limits and it seems only a small corner of the north side of 4th and mission falls under the 400' height limit.
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.d...df?f=templates$fn=altmain-nf.htm$3.0

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 7:15 PM

city college sits at the 400' zone. i doubt anything could be built at that height anyway at that site because city college won't relocate anytime soon, and any new development would probably exceed the FAR because the parcel is so small.

in any case, the 400' tower was approved for the site next to the pickwick hotel. see...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 8:16 PM

Of all the towers in your "never built" section 415, this one irks me the most. I think it really would have ushered in the Westward expansion down Market we will see. It would have been prominent down Powell, both directions down Market, from anywhere South of Market and most importantly from Yerba Buena. I also really like the design and imagine that balcony/courtyard area beneath the tower architecturally stunning.

I think as 5th blossoms, which I think it will immensely, we will see some comparable projects.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 2:01 PM

What is the correct height for Millenium Tower??? Is the 645 ft figure this thread has correct or the 625 ft figure Emporis has correct??

What is the correct height for 300 Spear II ?? Emporis has 350 ft. This thread has 400 ft.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 11:02 PM

301 mission aka the millenium tower is 625' to roof and 645' to its structural tip. it has some glassy architectual element at its roof giving it an extra 20'.

as for 300 spear II, there has been some debate, but the official height is 350' to its roof. it does have an additional top for mechanical equipment, but it isn't an extra 50'.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 11:27 PM

Press Release by Intercontinental:

InterContinental Hotels Group Expands U.S. Upscale Presence
Wednesday September 21, 4:40 pm ET
New InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Property to Open in San Francisco Near Moscone Convention Center

ATLANTA, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) (NYSE: IHG; London) (ADRs), the world's most global hotel company, plans to open its latest InterContinental Hotels & Resorts property in San Francisco. The new InterContinental San Francisco will join its sister hotel, the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, in the City by the Bay.

Located in San Francisco's South of Market Area (SOMA), the InterContinental San Francisco will be at the corner of Howard and Fifth streets and adjacent to the new Moscone West Convention Center. The hotel will be in close proximity to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Metreon/Sony Entertainment Center, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, the Jewish Museum San Francisco, the Mexican Museum and the San Francisco Historical Museum.Construction is scheduled to begin in October and the hotel is expected to open in late 2007.

"With IHG's strong focus on expanding the InterContinental Hotels & Resorts brand in the U.S., especially in key gateway cities, the InterContinental San Francisco is a tremendous and welcome addition to our portfolio of hotels," said Kirk Kinsell, SVP and chief development officer, the Americas, InterContinental Hotels Group.

The 32-story high-rise will include 550 guestrooms and three complete floors of meeting space, which will be housed in a tower designed to complement Moscone West. With over 43,000 square feet of meeting and function space, the hotel will have one of the largest meeting facilities in San Francisco and will have the capability of supporting the increasing business to the Moscone Convention Center.

Hotel amenities will include:
- A two-level Presidential Suite with sweeping views of the Bay Area
- Exclusive Club InterContinental lounge with food and beverage served
throughout the day
- State-of-the-art technology in guest rooms, meeting space and
public areas
- Lobby-level upscale restaurant and bar
- 8,000 square foot full-service spa and health club
- Indoor lap pool
- Spacious terraces for public use
- On-site underground valet parking

The property will be developed by the majority owner Continental Development Corporation, and will be managed by InterContinental Hotels Group. The design architect is Patri Merker Architects and the construction architect is Hornberger+Worstell. Brayton+Hughes Design Studio is the interior design firm. Webcor will be the project's general contractor.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2005, 12:19 AM

thanks for the info.

One more question. On page one you have this:

690 Market Street
renovation

function: residential, hotel
height: 312'
floors: 24
architect: ?
completion: 2006

It's not on Emporis. That address has a 16 floor tower according to emporis. Is the tower really getting 8 story addition?? This is the only thread I heard about the renovation of this tower. Any more info??

Old Posted Oct 3, 2005, 5:05 AM

^ yes. the developer is restoring the building's original facade and adding 8 floors. i think the building is becoming all condos with the ritz carlton running a certain amount of time shares within the building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2005, 5:22 AM
The True Avatar

I really like the plan for 690 Market Street. The original facade looks very nice and the addition seems to mix in relatively well.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2005, 10:20 PM

One Rincon Hill is now under construction according to emporis

Last edited by kazpmk; Oct 22, 2005 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 9:20 PM

new render from the one rincon hill thread:

official groundbreaking took place thu, 10 nov 2005. target date for opening: dec 2007.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 9:22 PM

Were more specific completion dates for 300 Spear and 301 Mission ever announced?

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 9:24 PM

Has the intercontinental hotel begun construction yet??

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 9:37 PM

301 mish is late 2008. 300 spear started on excavation awhile ago but got sidetracked when buried ships were discovered; not sure what its target date is. the intercontinental is supposed to break ground by the end of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations