HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 PM

what ever happened to the capital grand tower

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:46 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Having nothing to do with the courts I don't know if a new Sac Co. courthouse is really warranted. Of course, I'd like to see new construction and jobs created but I don't see courthouses as really enlivening a neighborhood. So I guess I really don't care that much. I mean it's not like it's going to have some spectacular game-changing design. And If a new courthouse is built what would happen to the old one?
Supposedly the courts are so crowded and backlogged that they need a new court building but would still use the existing courts building, just with the number of courtrooms it was designed for instead of being packed to the gills the way it is now. It's also a foot in the door for Railyards development, and would help pay for some of the infrastructure costs needed to entice a master developer to buy the property from Inland. Lots of activity at the site these days--track realignment is all done, they're building the second tunnel and getting started on the bridges, getting started on the depot rehab and the Phase II "transit village" plan, plus the housing at 7th and H is about to open up. Lots of complaints about the long walk from Light Rail to trackside, but part of Phase II will include realigning the tracks north-south, and eventually connecting them with the Green Line alignment up 7th Street to Richards, which will cut down on that walk.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:16 AM
Hindrance to Development

Apparently the California Auto Museum is working on plans to expand into a new, larger building, combined with a Natural History Museum. I found a brief article on the plan in the Business Journal from a couple months ago that says they're developing the plan but don't have the funding yet--it would take about $40 million. I have noticed a lot of toxic remediation going on at the Front Street site next to the CAM over the past year--it used to be an illumination gas plant and electric powerplant for the company that became PG&E, pretty nasty stuff. That will be the new parking area, completely capped off, and the CAM/Natural History Museum will be a taller building that takes up the current CAM property site including the existing parking lot. Could be cool if they can find the funds--and give a nice impetus to development of the Docks waterfront area. It would also give people walking along the existing "Riverwalk" promenade, that currently extends to R Street, something to walk to, and provide a southernmost site for a "museum mile" that runs north to the Crocker, Old Sacramento, the Railroad Museum, Sacramento Museum, and future RTM and Powerhouse Science Center.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 5:13 PM

I saw that article in the business journal as well, I have admit that I'm pretty interested, especially by the idea of a natural history museum. Though, the idea of the two museums ( cars and natural history?) together is kinda odd.

I haven't been able to find any other information on it, I'm quite curious about how they plan to fund all of this.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 4:30 PM

Sacramento's Township Nine starts with 180 apartments, light-rail station

Sacramento's Township Nine starts with 180 apartments, light-rail station

By Tony Bizjak
Sacramento Bee
Jan. 17, 2013

“Construction is finally under way for Sacramento's long-planned Township Nine housing project – a live-work-play community planned for 10 square blocks off Richards Boulevard north of downtown.

But amid groundbreaking-day speeches Wednesday, project developers acknowledged that the initial 180 apartments on a former cannery site are the only part of the development with funding in place, other than the initial light-rail station on site.

The money for the rest of the 65-acre project is still being cobbled together…”

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/17/512...s=Our%20Region

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:05 PM
Kodachrome

Latest 16 Powerhouse rendering by LPAS! 50 luxury rental apartments above retail. June start date. https://www.facebook.com/#!/16Powerhouse?group_id=0

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:18 PM
Here we stAy

Looks great. Wish we could get more projects like this that didn't solely focus on the luxury market for downtown, but any residential development downtown is good, especially on this site.

I still can't get a picture of how deep/far down P Street this building goes. Is it just the first two properties or three?

Love the start date in the near future too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:19 PM

Love love love the look of that. Some density coming to 16th and P!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:45 AM
Hindrance to Development

It's just on one property, the former motel operated as apartments by CADA, about 16 units I think, so effectively tripling the density. The lot is maybe a third of an acre? From P to the alley and 80 feet deep? Should make a nice companion to the other two CADA properties on 16th that just got untarped, and we'll see if the Warren on N and 16th gets built next.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:51 AM

Looks good. This is across P from Starbucks, across 16th from Fremont Park and on the same block as Hot Italian, correct?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:22 PM
Here we stAy

That's it. Glad to see this site being put to better use.

Wburg, thanks for clarifying. Wouldn't have minded seeing the 1612 address being part of this project for more and newer units, but this is still very nice.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:02 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
After the "ground breaking" a few weeks back, I've finally seen some more stirrings at the 2500R project site the past few mornings.

http://www.2500rmidtown.com/
So from all the way back in August until now: there's actual equipment and dirt work being done at the site since last week.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:01 PM

I'm excited about this project getting done. It's has been my dream to buy here... but I guess they are only renting.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:57 PM

^ What project is this?

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:28 PM

It's the Warehouse Artist Lofts. http://www.cadanet.org/project/capitol-lofts/

Used to be Capitol Lofts.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 1:17 PM
Hindrance to Development

I'm still hoping some warehouse/industrial/office building goes "condo" with for-sale units, but so far the only ones being considered are rental like this one or commercial/office only like the Kress. I have a feeling as the market shifts a bit some of these projects built as apartments will switch over to condos, and hopefully some of the landlords sick of upper-story office spaces sitting vacant will start marketing them as residential lofts.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I'm still hoping some warehouse/industrial/office building goes "condo" with for-sale units, but so far the only ones being considered are rental like this one or commercial/office only like the Kress. I have a feeling as the market shifts a bit some of these projects built as apartments will switch over to condos, and hopefully some of the landlords sick of upper-story office spaces sitting vacant will start marketing them as residential lofts.
Thanks in part to a new arena downtown, yes?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:23 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Thanks in part to a new arena downtown, yes?
Pretty sure it will happen whether or not they build an arena.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Pretty sure it will happen whether or not they build an arena.
I don't understand how people expect the grid to build upwards with condos magically, as if there is such a demand at the moment that people are coming in droves to live there, and with so many amenities and job opportunities to drive them there. Aren't business people always going on about "incentivizing"? There's not going to be any more growth the way you are hoping for unless there is a catalyst and investment to do so.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:48 AM
Hindrance to Development

I don't think magic is required--there is already a high demand for downtown housing, as you can see if you try home shopping in the central city. The properties aren't cheap because their numbers are limited, especially ownership housing. There are only about 2000 for-sale homes, including condos, in the entire grid! Rentals are also comparatively higher, due to demand and the advantages of location. People aren't coming in droves to live here because there is a severe shortage of central city housing supply! High demand, low supply--and thus, high prices and shortages. This produces opportunity for a developer willing to provide an urban product to supply that need.

Catalysts come in all sorts of forms--some are as simple as less-restrictive zoning codes and parking ratios, both of which were recently passed by the city council. Both make it easier to build urban forms in the urban core, and lower requirements for parking lots that just aren't as necessary in an urban setting. That changes the fiscal equation for builders. I suppose I'm less sanguine about the potential of arenas to be catalysts--the studies and numbers I have seen don't suggest that outcome. Arenas tend to follow after the revitalization of a neighborhood, but they don't cause it. I'm already seeing the first signs of recovery in the central city--and sure enough, here is an arena plan to capitalize on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area