HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
You could say the Expo line tracks are the exactly same thing......
You could...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 6:42 PM

not to mention the Granville Bridge approaches, the Cambie Bridge and ramps and the Burrard Bridge, which now all hove condo towers and other structures being built directly beside them and in a few cases, under them.

I have failed to see how these structure are any different. look at the residential units built (and being built) directly beside the Cambie Bridge, or all the towers right along the Granville Street bridge.

But if only 1 viaduct were to remain, it would have to be the georgia viaduct. Traffic flows so well out of downtown right now, i have never been stuck in a jam using Georgia street to the viaduct, so something tells me that design is working, and if it were to be removed we would simply be creating a new unnecessary traffic headache, in the end making the city around Georgia less pedestrian friendly and green.

The Dunsmir viaduct does have some traffic issues entering downtown, but whether this is due to the poor design of the bike lane (which, while I do support, I also feel it was not implemented properly).

That being said, the western end of the Dunsmir viaduct would have to remain regardless due to all its connectivity and how it has been built into the Colours development and Rogers Arena (among other utilities)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
They are noisy, terrible, doning nothing for community.

Wait, I have an Idea....what if we could connect quebec st to kingsway and then put a exit to georgia and dinsmore streets...
Where is Dinsmore Street?

The viaducts are no noisier than any other road, or Skytrain line.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Where is Dinsmore Street?

The viaducts are no noisier than any other road, or Skytrain line.
Oh yeah, I edited the plan so we should close Dinsumire Viaduct or something... (I forgot how to spell Dusmire)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I edited the plan so we should close Dinsumire Viaduct or something... (I forgot how to spell Dusmire)
Dunsmuir.

Named after James Dunsmuir, Canadian industrialist and heir to his family's fortune, built on coal mining on Vancouver Island. Served as BC Premier from 1900-1902.

Class dismissed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:25 PM

^^thanx

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Unfortionately, who would live near a noisy, polluted viaduct? Just saying.
Me. And I love it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Unfortionately, who would live near a noisy, polluted viaduct? Just saying.
Hooray commercial development! Doesn't concord owe a bunch to the city anyways?

Also, if demand for living near viaducts is lower, wouldn't that lower the value of any nearby residential space, thereby making living there more affordable? No, it wouldn't be a utopian experience, but not everyone needs complete peace and quiet and sterile air.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Me. And I love it.
Not many people I know are like you.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Hooray commercial development! Doesn't concord owe a bunch to the city anyways?

Also, if demand for living near viaducts is lower, wouldn't that lower the value of any nearby residential space, thereby making living there more affordable? No, it wouldn't be a utopian experience, but not everyone needs complete peace and quiet and sterile air.
Commercial development! Yay! Just what we need in Chinatown! NOT

Demand for living near the viaducts is VERY low... Why do you think we havent built there for so many years?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:13 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Nothing has been built there because the owners of the land haven't wanted to build anything, no other reason. Espana and Firenze are right next to the viaducts and had no problem selling, neither did Spectrum's 900 units.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
They are noisy, terrible, doing nothing for community.

Wait, I have an Idea....what if we could connect quebec st to kingsway and then put a exit to georgia and dinsmore streets...
The Viaducts are not noisy. The cars that travel on them are.
Why are they terrible, because you say so? Everyone will have a different opinion.
They are roads. Roads so something for the community, don't they?

I think what they need to have is simple. noise barriers. They REALLY add to the livability of an area. I've been to housing areas built adjacent to road viaducts with barriers and they are fantastic. Slow moving traffic below, higher speed through-traffic above, rain shelter or retail below. You can barely hear the traffic in the viaduct.

If done properly you can almost double the usefulness of a space.

What argument can be made for busy ground-level arterial roads?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The Dunsmir viaduct does have some traffic issues entering downtown, but whether this is due to the poor design of the bike lane (which, while I do support, I also feel it was not implemented properly).
When I cycled from Poco to downtown Vancouver for two months, I only ever used Dunsmuir eastbound once. It's useless, the traffic lights are timed in the westbound direction so you hit a red light every two lights. Going eastbound on Dunsmuir, I can do 40km/h the from Granville all the way to Main St. My commute was 32km long each way, I'm not going to waste 5 minutes stopped at red light after red light just for the sake of supporting bike lanes.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Not many people I know are like you.
Then ask the other tens of thousands of people who enjoy living on any of the major road corridors in the city. In my opinion, the viaducts are not nearly as "noisy and polluted" as Granville or Broadway.

In fact, as a resident of this area, I think the viaducts should stay and I will oppose any attempts to dismantle them. Some great and creative urban cityscapes can be created under, over, and around the viaducts and Skytrain guideways. Spectrum and Costco are fantastic. If we're seriously out of ideas, look to any major Asian city like Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:13 AM

So this is in Québec City. Too bad nobody here ever thought it up. High-quality public art on the Georgia Viaduct could become a tradition, giving all the less reason to tear them down. (I hope they stay, just for the record)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

So this is in Québec City. Too bad nobody here ever thought it up. High-quality public art on the Georgia Viaduct could become a tradition, giving all the less reason to tear them down. (I hope they stay, just for the record)
I fully agree. Just like we have things like "" we could turn this into a yearly event and have the public vote on the best and maybe leave those ones .... and voting would be with a donation therefore raising $$ for the city. also I'm sure a corperate sponsor would not be hard to find. "Telus Vancouver Art Walls 2012" or something like that again raising more $$ for the event and the city.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I finally figured out why the Beatty/Dunsmuir intersection is so undersized for the amount of traffic it carries. It used to be way bigger. Looking at some pics of Expo I came across this gem showing the configuration in 1986. This makes a lot more sense, although I have no idea when some of these things were changed.

Source: CanadaGood on Flickr
Linky

Beatty used to be 1 way, allowing for only one turn direction to occur. Just before the intersection, Dunsmuir was 6 lanes across. Configured as through/through/through/through/right/right. Compared to today's 3 lane cross section of left/through/right, where the left lane is mostly clogged by turning traffic.

Does anyone know why the one way system was scrapped on Beatty and Cambie? Also, what precipitated the sidewalk changes? GM place construction?

Last edited by Alex Mackinnon; Jan 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Does anyone know why the one way system was scrapped on Beatty and Cambie? Also, what precipitated the sidewalk changes? GM place construction?
as downtown south grewout over the 90's into the 00's it neccesitated the former 1 way streets of beatty, cambie and homer to be made 2 way. switch happened in 2005.

city report here >> http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20040914/tt1.htm

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That was Steamworks, and yes, their lower level is exactly what I am talking about in having interesting urban environments. Not more bland street level Cactus Clubs.
Imagine how cool an industrial themed pub underneath the viaducts near Stadium Station or near Main Street would be. Stadium would be better location, but shit, imagine sitting at a bar with the viaduct for a roof, and the glass wall beside you overlooks the passing Skytrain lines as they cross beneath the viaducts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure