HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:53 PM

Calgary Economy

Thread to talk about the Calgary economy.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 9:54 PM
Dr Morgan, AME

Sign o' the Times

John Torode's house looks to be up for sale. This can't be a good sign for the East Beltline.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 11:10 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Looks like Cardel's feeling the pinch--the east-side luxury boxes at McMahon Stadium have been hastily re-branded as the "Executive Clubhouse"...

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 8:38 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 5:20 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Nortel/Flextronics Calgary Closure

Nortel and Flextronics are all but gone from Calgary now. The former manufacturing facility, offices and property have been sold to the City of Calgary. The City will be taking the site over from Nortel on June 15th. The Calgary Police Service is taking the 300 000 sq. ft. place over. We had a reunion this afternoon for all those who worked for Nortel and Flextronics in Calgary from the 1980s to today. It was really great to see folks that I worked with over the past 6 years. I won't necessarily miss the work, but the people I worked with are irreplaceable.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 7:29 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Office furniture maker closes Calgary plant: 600 jobs lost

CHQR Newsroom
8/18/2009

600 jobs are being lost in Calgary as U.S. based office furniture maker Haworth Incorporated is closing its Calgary plant and moving the operations to Michigan.
100 jobs will be maintained in Calgary at a local showroom and office.
Calgary's loss will be Michigan's gain, as the company says 500 people will be hired at its Holland, Michigan campus.
One of the reasons for the move is that haworth is expecting a 13-year, $22-million tax incentive from the state of Michigan.
The move is expected to be complete by 2010.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 9:44 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
moving the operations to Michigan
Dude, these four guys without heads just rode by my window on flaming horses,

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

I'd hope this was the right spot for this:

Former Calgary Flame sets new real estate record in Calgary

A mansion built for former Calgary Flames goalie Mike Vernon has sold for $10.3 million, setting a new residential real estate record in the city.

The beautiful home is in Elbow Park and is a stunning 12,700 square feet.

It has custom inlay hardwood, limestone and marble floors, antique fireplaces, and even French doors that lead to river vistas.

Despite the hefty price tag, Vernon's property sold in just six weeks and came down only slightly from the listed price of $10.5 million.

The realtors who sold the home had a number of offers, and tell the Calgary Herald they think the market is quite strong right now.

A local economist says this may be an indication the housing market in Calgary is still relatively healthy.

The previous record sale in Calgary came in June 2008.

It was a six bedroom house in Crescent Heights and went for $7.5 million.

source

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Dude, these four guys without heads just rode by my window on flaming horses,
With Michigan facing 20%+ unemployment in many areas, I'm not surprised the government is basically buying jobs for its residents.

They'll probably also chop their wages budget in half or more.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Nortel and Flextronics are all but gone from Calgary now. The former manufacturing facility, offices and property have been sold to the City of Calgary.
This is where Flextronics manufactured Blackberries for RIM right?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:14 AM

I can't understand what financial benefit moving the bulk of this operation to MIchigan! I understand their probably getting some form of tax break, but are they also saying that they don't have confidence in the economy of the western half of this continent. To me, and stats would prove it, that is were future growth is, not the east... IMO... I just hate seeing these jobs go.

Last edited by bob1954; Aug 19, 2009 at 6:15 AM. Reason: add words

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 1:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
I can't understand what financial benefit moving the bulk of this operation to MIchigan!
Millions of dollars in tax breaks, and much reduced employee wages. It's a pretty simple calculation. The company will save tens of millions of dollars.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:13 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Imperial's talking about an oilsands expansion that they figure will be profitable at $30 oil.

What ever happened to all the doomsayers that claimed oilsands only work with $100+ oil?

If Imperial is anywhere close to correct on this, expect another oilsands boom in short notice once capital markets finish with their shakeup.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:18 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

$30 to be profitable? Wow, with the kind of money Imperial will start to make they can build a 1000' tower

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:41 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Imperial's talking about an oilsands expansion that they figure will be profitable at $30 oil.

What ever happened to all the doomsayers that claimed oilsands only work with $100+ oil?

If Imperial is anywhere close to correct on this, expect another oilsands boom in short notice once capital markets finish with their shakeup.
Natural gas prices have a lot to do with how profitable an oilsands project is. Assuming they use gas for fule (which a lot, if not all of them do) then the current state of $3 to $4 gas makes a huge difference. Compare that to last year when gas was at least double what it is now.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
$30 to be profitable? Wow, with the kind of money Imperial will start to make they can build a 1000' tower
haha sick. that would be cool.
heres a question, how far south of downtown would they have to build a '1000 foot tower (or how far away i guess) in calgary with the shadow by-law? i guess they could build it across the river, but there isn't any downtown on that side so it would be silly at this point.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Natural gas prices have a lot to do with how profitable an oilsands project is. Assuming they use gas for fule (which a lot, if not all of them do) then the current state of $3 to $4 gas makes a huge difference. Compare that to last year when gas was at least double what it is now.
Yup. It offsets the doomsayers who complain about natural gas prices being so low as to ruin our economy. If gas is low enough, oilsands become VERY profitable. And vice-versa. It's a nice balance in the end.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydude View Post
heres a question, how far south of downtown would they have to build a '1000 foot tower (or how far away i guess) in calgary with the shadow by-law? i guess they could build it across the river, but there isn't any downtown on that side so it would be silly at this point.
There are spots in downtown where 1000' would work just fine (I believe Wooster or someone has actually ran the math on this). Including Imperial's lot on 6th Ave.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:51 PM

Freeweed; I acknowledged the tax breaks, but I don't think the labor is that much less. Also, future transportation cost to get the product back to the western US or Canada. Or, as I stated before, does the company think the potential for growth won't be in certain goegraphical areas? Sounds like Imperials' 1000 footer is taking center stage for now.... I wish.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yup. It offsets the doomsayers who complain about natural gas prices being so low as to ruin our economy. If gas is low enough, oilsands become VERY profitable. And vice-versa. It's a nice balance in the end.
It would be nicer if gas prices found a happy medium. The province is getting absolutely killed right now by the current prices. Drilling is way off, and I read an article last week estimating 25 000 direct job losses in the drilling sector this year alone, and that's not ocunting indirect spinoff jobs that have been lost. Plus, Alberta makes the bulk of it royalties from gas. So while it may breathing a little life into some oisands projects, it is coming at a very heavy cost to the 'other side' of the industry (the conventional side).

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy