HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:23 PM
Bosston

STR:

I've never seen such a horrible display of arrogance on this site. At least trolls and spammers are direct with their bullshit. You're just always trying to prove you're right and getting into meaningless discrepancies when these posts should be on topic.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:05 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioli12 View Post
STR:

I've never seen such a horrible display of arrogance on this site. At least trolls and spammers are direct with their bullshit. You're just always trying to prove you're right and getting into meaningless discrepancies when these posts should be on topic.
I find it much more palatable to just look at the pretty pictures and never read his words.

As far as the Highest Grossing Restaurant blah blah blah... Until you see the old accounting books from WOTW you will never know how razor thin their margins might have been. They could have sold 100 billion dollars in steak each year, but if it cost them 99.99999 billion in overhead then it wasn't very profitable.

"Gross" just means how much the business did, not how much it cost to run and therefore how much profit was left over.

Anyhow... Seeing as the floor in question has dedicated elevator service, high floors and a prestigious address, I suggest they offer it up as one heck of penthouse! It could be the most expensive condo in the world.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

If it has 25' ceilings, I suggest basketball courts.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:33 PM
Back to Basics

Yay! New steel!

(From Rebuild Ground Zero cam found here: http://www.malistebde.com/groundzero...11/rgz_000.jpg )

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:12 PM
Bosston

b ball courts would be epic!!! But probably unlikely.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:26 PM

They are using both cranes to install the corner nodes. How heavy are those?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:21 PM

Well I am rather disappointed in Chris Ward for scrapping plans for the Restaurant Atop One World Trade Center. That's just the thing we needed to make Lower Manhattan, more specifically New York City feel whole again. Then again Ward is only out for the money, he wants this Tower all filled with tenants by the time it opens in 2013. He doesn't want to sit around and wait to see if the restaurant would be profitable even though I had a feeling it would have been. Well never say never. There is still time. Maybe they'll add a restaurant later on years after the Tower opens who knows anything is possible. But like I said Ward is only out for the money, which is why that whole ordeal was done with Silverstein on building Towers 2, 3 , & 4. Anyway this is nothing to get upset about, we still have the Observation Deck. I swear if they scrap that too the Port Authority can go to hell . I don't think they are that stupid so they'll keep the Observation Deck and everything else about this Tower should be great. In the meantime let this tall bastard rise.

Last edited by NewYorker2009; Mar 9, 2011 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:33 PM

WOW, really!?!? You gotta be kidden me.... I am very disappointed to hear about the "Windows On The World" type Restaurant deal. I never made it to the original Windows On The World Restaurant at all. I was really looking forward to the 2nd Chance of going to the new one, but I guess that's not going to happen. YUCK!!!!!! Oh well then...... At least I will have a new tower to look at & go to the top & check out the views. Hey, I got an good idea LOL!!!!! They might as well keep the "Subway Sandwich Shop" up there for the Observation Deck LOL!!!! (At least that's already up there as of now)!!!! LOL (Sorry, I had to say it) LOL!!!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Well I am rather disappointed in Chris Ward for scrapping plans for the Restaurant Atop One World Trade Center. That's just the thing we needed to make Lower Manhattan, more specifically New York City feel whole again. Then again Ward is only out for the money, he wants this tower all filled with tenants by the time it opens in 2013. He doesn't want to sit around and wait to see if the restaurant would be profitable even though I had a feeling it would have been. Well never say never. There is still time. Maybe they'll add a restaurant later on years after the Tower opens who knows anything is possible. But like I said Ward is only out for the money, which is why that whole ordeal was done with Silverstein on building Towers 2, 3 , & 4. Anyway this is nothing to get upset about, we still have the Observation Deck. I swear if they scrap that too the Port Authority can go to hell . I don't think they are that stupid so they'll keep the Observation Deck and everything else about this Tower should be great. In the meantime let this tall bastard rise.
Yea, I was looking forward to it & I am very disappointed also. I do like your attitude about it though. There is still time to re-think things & nothing to get upset about. Yea, it would of made NYC whole again... But your right, we still have the deck to look forward to. I am with you "1776%" ALL THE WAY! Let this beast RISE INDEED!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I find it much more palatable to just look at the pretty pictures and never read his words.

As far as the Highest Grossing Restaurant blah blah blah... Until you see the old accounting books from WOTW you will never know how razor thin their margins might have been. They could have sold 100 billion dollars in steak each year, but if it cost them 99.99999 billion in overhead then it wasn't very profitable.

"Gross" just means how much the business did, not how much it cost to run and therefore how much profit was left over.

Anyhow... Seeing as the floor in question has dedicated elevator service, high floors and a prestigious address, I suggest they offer it up as one heck of penthouse! It could be the most expensive condo in the world.

If I had a $billion I'd make em an offer. Though the 5 elevators serving those floors would be a bit much. On the bright side there will be a stairway connecting the two floors, or at least the space and slab opening for one.

My Uncle owned a restaurant back home, it was filled every night. It lost money every year he owned it. If it wasn't on the first floor of the hotel he owned he would have closed it after the first year. (The restaurant was a big part of the draw, what it lost he more than made up for on guest receipts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
They are using both cranes to install the corner nodes. How heavy are those?
Being solid steel they have some weight to them. Roughly 26 tons. I think they are just a few thousand pounds too much for one crane.

PS: As for the restaurant being dead, alot can happen in 3 years. With luck it may yet happen.

PPS: it's the broadcast floors with the 24 foot floor heights, not the restaurant floors.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:54 PM

what are the nodes for?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:31 PM
BROOKLYN

IntoTheLens and NewYorker2009 are not the same person...trust me...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
what are the nodes for?
The columns that run up that slanted portion of the building

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 11:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
what are the nodes for?
The nodes transition the perimeter columns from the vertical face of the building to the sloped face. They are at a concentration of forces so they need to be stronger than a normal column. There will be another corner node around the 85th floor.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 1:22 AM

Zen I have a question for you if you don't mind answering it. Pages back where you showed a pic of how the elevations are for the top floors of One World Trade Center near the roof it said that the Observation Deck was on the 102nd Floor. I don't understand why the Port Authority put on www.wtcprogress.com that the Observation Deck will be on Floors 100 and 101. I thought Floors 100 and 101 "were" set up for what "was" to be the Restaurant. If you could clarify this for me I would gladly appreciate that. Thanks Alot.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 1:33 AM
Urban Explorer

Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about this restaurant news? Stuff like this happens all the time.

The space will eventually be leased at a rate that is good for the developers/owners. Maybe it will be a restaurant. Maybe it will be some other type of space. Maybe they will expand the observation level. Who knows?

But this isn't some canvas for all of us to paint with our own ideas. It's a giant real estate endeavor that - in the end - is all about the money.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:08 AM

Zen. Do you know how many tons those nodes are?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:18 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Zen I have a question for you if you don't mind answering it. Pages back where you showed a pic of how the elevations are for the top floors of One World Trade Center near the roof it said that the Observation Deck was on the 102nd Floor. I don't understand why the Port Authority put on www.wtcprogress.com that the Observation Deck will be on Floors 100 and 101. I thought Floors 100 and 101 "were" set up for what "was" to be the Restaurant. If you could clarify this for me I would gladly appreciate that. Thanks Alot.
Never trust the PA, I have the prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Zen. Do you know how many tons those nodes are?
If you were to read . . . . . . . . anyway, about 26 tons.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:47 AM

Anyway I have a better idea. Why don't we just leave floor 100 as empty space, but with room to put a restaurant on a future date, make the 101 floor the inside observation deck, and remove the glass to the 102 floor, and make that an open air observation deck. Though the rest of the building including the mast would be above it. It would be almost like the original 2 WTC's open air deck except there would be floors above the open air observation deck. That would be interesting, and would be a combination of both the original 1 & 2 WTC. So someday when they do make the 100th floor a future Windows on The World restaurant the observation decks would be above it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:36 AM

26 tons Thanks. The nodes are for floors 58,59 and 60.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive