HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 9:08 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegr...ollection.html

Quote:
And here’s what Lowry told us about the status of the long delayed Jean Nouvel tower, being developed by the Hines development company: Their goal, as we understand it, is to be in the ground in the first quarter of 2014—call it March or April. We may know more than you, but we don’t know a lot more than you on that.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 9:22 PM

Please stop teasing me! Can you imagine that and the Steinway tower rising at the same time? That'll be the equivalent of 2 Chrysler buildings rising simultaneously. Alright... Back to earth now.

Last edited by Blaze23; Oct 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I can imagine it, and I'm more than ready for it.

( October 13, 2013 )

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:01 PM

'tis time!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 7:12 PM

Ah yeah, let Nouvel finally get his indisputable masterpiece in New York, then he'd be forgiven for his more or less controversial work in his home country.

Although his Arab World Institute in Paris is yet cheered as a seriously precious piece of architecture...

http://www.tripadvisor.fr

http://www.greatbuildings.com

Huh? that kicks ass. Nouvel's a Pritzker prize winner, though. That just can't be ignored.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:46 PM
BANNED

They should raze that inefficient art space...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 6:07 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
'tis time!
Agreed. Get this one going!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:36 PM

^I'm glad we all agree!

Projects like this and 111 W 57th are like what the ESB and the Chrysler were for their times

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

could be the greatest NYC building since ESB and Chrysler.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
They should raze that inefficient art space...
Wait, you mean the Arab World Institute? If so, you can't be serious. It's been a complete success. Notice it very nicely promotes the famous Middle-Eastern style of ornamentations and their lifestyle up to it's facade. Just quickly see this for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Visible behind the glass wall, a metallic screen unfolds with moving geometric motifs. The motifs are actually 240 photo-sensitive motor-controlled apertures, or shutters, which act as a sophisticated brise soleil that automatically opens and closes to control the amount of light and heat entering the building from the sun. The mechanism creates interior spaces with filtered light — an effect often used in Islamic architecture with its climate-oriented strategies. The innovative use of technology and success of the building's design catapulted Nouvel to fame and is one of the cultural reference points of Paris.
An Arabic brise soleil also allows women to watch outside without being seen, or so I heard.

I wouldn't compare this tower to any other design, that'd be no use, but if the involved developers agree on paying what's necessary (fine materials) for it in New York, which they'll probably do given the location, it will be quite a legend. I guess everybody can see.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
testify

^ i think he means the moma folk art building.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Woops I should have been specific ... the moma folk art building needs to go

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Poor Tower Verre, always forgotten in the media. But I've fixed that...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/ny...pagewanted=all

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 7:19 PM

I love this one, but with all the other supertalls that are gonna go up in the neighborhood, I don't think it will making anything near the impact that we originally expected. I wish it was 300 feet taller.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I love this one, but with all the other supertalls that are gonna go up in the neighborhood, I don't think it will making anything near the impact that we originally expected. I wish it was 300 feet taller.
It lost the impact it was going to have when 200 ft got chopped off. But it will still be a very tall tower, tall enough to stand out in Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:11 PM

It will most certainly stand out where it is no matter the vantage point (RCA/GE is decidedly the tallest in this immediate area). And again, she's taller than One57, if only by 45 feet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:15 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm too excited!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...65573187682340

Singapore Investors Back New York Tower
The $1.3 Billion Project Contains Space for Museum of Modern Art

By Craig Karmin
Oct. 29, 2013

Quote:
A prominent Singapore real estate family backed by a group of Asian banks is providing more than $1 billion to revive plans to build one of Manhattan's tallest skyscrapers and new gallery space for the Museum of Modern Art.

The billionaire Kwee family, which controls property developer Pontiac Land Group, is making an equity investment of about $300 million in the metal and glass tower designed by French architect Jean Nouvel, according to people briefed on the deal.

Singapore's United Overseas Bank Ltd. and other lenders are also providing $860 million in construction loans for the project, these people said.

The total cost for the 72-story building that will rise next to the current MoMA building in midtown Manhattan is about a $1.3 billion, say people familiar with the project, which would make it one of the most expensive buildings in the country. The developer, Houston-based real estate firm Hines, confirmed the deal with the Kwee family and Asian banks but declined to disclose details.

The new financial commitments revive one of New York's most discussed real-estate projects, which drew both critical acclaim and howls of protests from some neighbors when it was unveiled in 2007. Progress slowed during the recession and its aftermath when financing for such big projects dried up. The Hines tower would include the biggest expansion for MoMA in a number of years, with 36,000 square feet of additional gallery space on the museum's second, fourth and fifth floors. The building also will feature 145 luxury condominiums.

"We have long admired MoMA's contribution to the city and the world, and we are pleased that this project will expand their galleries," Kwee Liong Tek, a director of Pontiac Land Group, said in a statement. Hines and its partner Goldman Sachs Group Inc. also are making equity investments. Construction is expected to begin next year on the 1,050-foot-tall building on vacant land adjacent to the museum.

The new investment shows how some of New York's flashiest and most expensive developments that slowed to a crawl during the recession are back, as the economy stabilizes and as more investors pump money into high-end real estate. Earlier this year, New York developer Larry Silverstein received $930 million in financing led by the Children's Investment Fund Management, a U.K.-based investor, which is enabling Mr. Silverstein to restart an 82-story Four Seasons Hotel and private residences downtown. Luxury residential projects in Tribeca and near the United Nations also have sprung back to life after sitting idle for years. These comebacks are arriving sooner than expected. After the recession of the early 1990s, stalled projects took a decade or more to revive, or never returned at all, says Mark Edelstein, a real estate attorney at Morrison & Foerster. This time, he says, less supply of new buildings, capital now available at attractive rates and surging foreign interest has breathed fresh life into several developments that were on hold. "It's pretty remarkable really," he says.

The deal also marks the biggest bet yet on the U.S. market by the Kwee family, which owns and operates many Asian hotels and is one of Singapore's biggest landlords. The family has a net worth of $3.9 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

Initially dubbed Tower Verre by Mr. Nouvel's office, the Hines building is the latest entrant into Manhattan's luxury condo sweepstakes. Two other midtown residential buildings that will rise more than 1,000 feet, One57 and 432 Park, already have contracts for top-level apartments at more than $90 million. Several other luxury condo projects are under way with units that have eight-figure asking prices.

MoMA sold the 18,000-square-foot lot to Hines and Goldman Sachs in early 2007. It initially was approved for a more modest 25-story building, but Hines was able to acquire air rights from some of the surrounding buildings. Mr. Nouvel proposed a 1,250-foot tall skyscraper.

The tower's design tapers as it reaches to the sky, and early plans included the possibility of a hotel along with the apartments. But the economic downturn caused momentum to grind to nearly a halt.

At the same time, Hines was defending against neighborhood complaints. A tall building on a relatively small space drew scorn from some on the block and preservationist groups. The Historic Districts Council, an independent organization that lobbies on behalf of community groups, wrote on its website that "Tower Verre would be one of the tallest buildings in Manhattan on a lot barely the size of a McDonald's franchise." The city in 2009 told Hines to reduce the size of the tower by 200 feet. Mr. Nouvel came back with a new, shorter version that won city approval, but it has been confined to the drawing board while Hines tried to secure financing.

Talks with the Kwee family and Asian banks began last year, and the two sides reached an agreement in the spring before closing on the deal in recent days.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:19 PM

HEAVEN!!! You made my day NYGuy! who cares about that dud going up on 57th street?! The King of all towers is about to rise. Hope its sidekick at 111 W57 follows.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm too excited!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...65573187682340

Singapore Investors Back New York Tower
The $1.3 Billion Project Contains Space for Museum of Modern Art

By Craig Karmin
Oct. 29, 2013

Something about the top of the tower looks different...

Either way, I'm sure this will be miles better than Extell's garabage on 57th St.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 6:04 PM

YES!!! WoooHooooooooooooo!!! Salvaged from the depths of horror south of the columbus circle we are!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive