HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:54 AM

I'm curious to know what causes you such distress. The Cambie bridge has MUCH more capacity than the lanes on each side, so removing a lane will have very little impact on vehicle traffic. Meanwhile, the cycle lane removes detours, reduces conflicts between bikes and pedestrians, and makes cycling a better option for many people.

Since we can no longer build more vehicle lanes in the city, the key to reducing congestion is to give more people the chance to move within the city without taking up a vehicle lane. Every cyclist reduces congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
As someone who lives in the immediate nearby area and who bikes, walks and drives (in that descending order of use), there isn't enough in the world to express my dissatisfaction with this plan.

Deliberately antagonistic transport plans like these only make this place a less happy place to live.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Granville St Bridge plan is years away (and almost everyone has panned it’s inside walkways). . The city should have put flashing lights above the crosswalks years ago-there’s a limited pool of money and pedestrians are supposed to be their #1 priority.
I agree the inner lane walkways are dumb. People want to look out at the view. But the city wants to enable elevators to Granville Island, and centre lane walkways make this easier. I would like to see design that allows for pedestrians on the outside of the bridge and elevators/stairs down to the market.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West22 View Post
Since we can no longer build more vehicle lanes in the city, the key to reducing congestion is to give more people the chance to move within the city without taking up a vehicle lane. Every cyclist reduces congestion.
Did you honestly write that while sober? Removing an entire lane isn't taking up a lane? What sorcery is that, I wonder.

And I won't even touch your last sentence. It's pure comedy gold.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 9:06 PM

Cambie Bridge Bike Lane Progress

It seems the plan is to run the bike lane through the parking lot and then connect with the Heather St. Bike Boulevard.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the pics.

They need to put the pedestrian logo on the ground with 2-way arrows at the base of the ramp (not just the small green sign above).
In addition to the "Wrong Way" bike sign, a "Do Not Enter" circle would also work on the ground (for bikes and pedestrians
- esp. so a pedestrian doesn't "Keep Right" and get plowed into by a bike head-on)

That parking lot isn't used much anyways and the temporary modular housing will take up a chunk of it too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 10:49 PM

Very exciting! It's a pretty bare-bones project compared to some of the quality stuff we're getting used to (10th Avenue, Burrard Bridge, Quebec/1st), but it's going to make a huge difference in usability.

I believe the plan is to complete a more permanent upgrade a la Burrard Bridge once the viaducts/Pacific Blvd mess is complete.

Next up, Granville Bridge! (I saw it as a $25 million project in the 2019-2021 City Capital Plan)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:33 PM

Can anyone explain why the City has blocked off 14th on the East side of Main to accommodate some sort of quasi-bike lane? This isn't a designated bike route. It also leads to Mount Saint Joseph Hospital. Frankly with the requisite hipster/planner fetishes of a Mobi station and parklet, it seems like somebody has a little in at City Hall here:

[IMG]Main and 14th by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Can anyone explain why the City has blocked off 14th on the East side of Main to accommodate some sort of quasi-bike lane? This isn't a designated bike route.
14th is a bike route up to Ontario (two blocks away). It doesn't take much imagination to see them extending that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Can anyone explain why the City has blocked off 14th on the East side of Main to accommodate some sort of quasi-bike lane? This isn't a designated bike route. It also leads to Mount Saint Joseph Hospital. Frankly with the requisite hipster/planner fetishes of a Mobi station and parklet, it seems like somebody has a little in at City Hall here:
In Vision's world, all ambulances going forward will only be bicycle powered?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
It's been planned for several years - it was part of the Mount Pleasant Plan and is supported by the Mount Pleasant BIA. [Link]

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
It's been planned for several years - it was part of the Mount Pleasant Plan and is supported by the Mount Pleasant BIA. [Link]
Don't let your facts get in the way of bicycle haters foaming at the mouth.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:41 AM

TransLink approves Major Bike Network (MBN) Map

On June 27th, the TransLink Regional Transportation Advisory Committee approved the Interim Major Bike Network (MBN) map and areas of high cycling potential. The updated map includes bike routes that connect urban and other centers as identified in the regional growth strategy. HUB Cycling staff and volunteers assisted with the development of this plan.

The interim MBN map, which will be expanded over time, will be used for making co-funding decisions for TransLink's Major Road Network and Bike (MRNB) and Bicycle Infrastructure Capital Cost Share (BICCS) cost-share programs for Metro Vancouver municipalities.

TransLink will provide up to 75% of the funding for projects that are considered comfortable for all people (i.e. Class 1) and located in Urban Centres/FTDAs or along the MBN. TransLink will provide up to 50% of the funding for other projects that are comfortable for most people (i.e. Class 2) and/or located in the areas of high cycling potential.

https://bikehub.ca/about-us/news/tra...etwork-mbn-map

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:45 AM

Hmm, might need some sort of major bridge project to make that highway 99 between Richmond and Delta a reality...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:38 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
On June 27th, the TransLink Regional Transportation Advisory Committee approved the Interim Major Bike Network (MBN) map and areas of high cycling potential. The updated map includes bike routes that connect urban and other centers as identified in the regional growth strategy. HUB Cycling staff and volunteers assisted with the development of this plan.

The interim MBN map, which will be expanded over time, will be used for making co-funding decisions for TransLink's Major Road Network and Bike (MRNB) and Bicycle Infrastructure Capital Cost Share (BICCS) cost-share programs for Metro Vancouver municipalities.

TransLink will provide up to 75% of the funding for projects that are considered comfortable for all people (i.e. Class 1) and located in Urban Centres/FTDAs or along the MBN. TransLink will provide up to 50% of the funding for other projects that are comfortable for most people (i.e. Class 2) and/or located in the areas of high cycling potential.

https://bikehub.ca/about-us/news/tra...etwork-mbn-map
I've been meaning to post this too. Very cool initiative and I'm super excited about it. Nice to have a region-wide approach to cycling infrastructure.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:33 PM
Rational urbanist

New bike share coming to Metro Vancouver
Quote:
PORT COQUITLAM (NEWS 1130) – While Mobi has a monopoly on the bike share scene in Vancouver proper a new service is coming to other cities in the Metro area.

U-Bicycle started in Victoria last October–it’s now expanding to Port Coquitlam and Port Moody this month and will be in Richmond by the end of September.

The company’s Mia Zhang says they’re different from Mobi because they don’t have physical docking stations, but virtual parking zones instead.

“For all of these three cities, we’ll have virtual parking zones. It’s not the traditional station where you’ll see the huge docks. It’s a technology based parking station,” she says, adding you’ll see a parking sign for U-Bicycle and bike racks.
Read more: https://www.news1130.com/2018/08/05/...tro-vancouver/

As someone who spends a lot of time in Richmond, I'm excited about this! I am personally skeptical about dockless bike share so it'll be interesting to see how this works out.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:44 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Good to know that Poco and Port Moody is adopting bikeshare (although having dockless bikeshare is questionable due to it more prone to theft). Burnaby and Surrey have yet to to put theirs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:48 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Good to know that Poco and Port Moody is adopting bikeshare (although having dockless bikeshare is questionable due to it more prone to theft). Burnaby and Surrey have yet to to put theirs.
Well this bike share is a private venture right, so I think it also has to do with just where that company wants to operate.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:03 PM
Transit User

Willingdon linear park

Does anybody know if there is some sort of plan to link Willingdon linear park bike lane to the south so that you can bike from Metrotown to Brentwood direct? So far you can cross the highway but then things get iffy between Still Creek and Brentwood.

Looking at Translink Major Bike Network map it seems that they are prioritizing connection along Gilmore...

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Does anybody know if there is some sort of plan to link Willingdon linear park bike lane to the south so that you can bike from Metrotown to Brentwood direct? So far you can cross the highway but then things get iffy between Still Creek and Brentwood.
I once saw plans for a pedestrian bridge at the foot of Alpha as part of one of the developments there. That would connect to the Central Valley Greenway. I hope that's going ahead. If was for bikes too, it might help a bit.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:18 PM

Jump Electric Bike Share in Metro Vancouver?

It seems UBER is hoping to get their Jump E bike share in Metro Vancouver

https://globalnews.ca/news/4444710/u...er-two-wheels/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure