HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1799 View Post
Wow Calgary...bad bounces in the 3rd. Imo the Flames are done. Down 3-0 they're not going to win 4 straight against the Ducks.
I think they are done, this is 6 straight losses to this team now going back to December. I can't say I've ever seen a team lose so much to one particular team, this is just weird now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:21 PM

Flames choking in the playoffs is hardly new but last night was a new low. Pathetic, Junior B goaltending combined with a fragile team mentality where they absolutely wilt under any type of adversity. Yes they have a few players that other teams might want but the Oilers and Leafs have leapfrogged the flames and are ahead by miles in terms of development. I don't see this team ever becoming a serious contender.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:39 PM

That's a bit harsh, this is a good team and they are still rebuilding. Edmonton and Toronto should be ahead of us, they've both been at this longer. I think the Flames need to make a couple moves in the offseason, they need to get tougher and they need more heart. Gulutzan got a lot of their systems working better, but they need to tighten things up a bit more, and I think we need a new goalie coach, our numbers went off a cliff when we hired Jordan Sigalet, and they never quite recovered. Also, players need to stay out of the box, they did great for that last night, but we were one of the most penalized teams this season and that carried over to playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:44 PM
Fake News

I'm done with the Flames this season!!! Only they could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like they did last night.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:55 PM

To be fair this was the Leafs first real season after our rebuild. It does seem now they have created something solid to work with moving forward........finally.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:58 PM
arf

They were up 4-1 on 3 power play goals. They were ahead in shots, hits, face off %. It is either quality of chances or just lousy goaltending in this case. Losing when up 4-2 with 10 minutes to play can happen. No power plays for Anaheim and Calgary goes 3-5 with the man advantage. You have to figure you win that game.

This is seeming like a curse to me.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I'm done with the Flames this season!!! Only they could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like they did last night.
I think the Flames are done with the Flames this season lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:29 PM

The Ottawa-Boston series has featured a major shift in momentum in every game so far. It leaves you a nervous wreck. I was certain that the Sens would lose last night but I am shocked about how poor the Bruins penalty kill has been at critical times.

This series is really demonstrating Erik Karlsson's enormous talent. Wow!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 9:03 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
They were up 4-1 on 3 power play goals. They were ahead in shots, hits, face off %. It is either quality of chances or just lousy goaltending in this case. Losing when up 4-2 with 10 minutes to play can happen. No power plays for Anaheim and Calgary goes 3-5 with the man advantage. You have to figure you win that game.

This is seeming like a curse to me.
It is a curse!!! How else to explain losing to the same team for 13 years when our roster has since changed several times over.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It is a curse!!! How else to explain losing to the same team for 13 years when our roster has since changed several times over.
That other team has always had the better players?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
That other team has always had the better players?
They have in recent history, but not really anymore, I'd actually take the Flames roster over the Ducks right now. Anaheim just has way more swagger and the Flames are mentally fragile, can't win if you don't believe in yourself. Getzlaf is a damn tank too, hard to play against a player you can't even move.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's a bit harsh, this is a good team and they are still rebuilding. Edmonton and Toronto should be ahead of us, they've both been at this longer. I think the Flames need to make a couple moves in the offseason, they need to get tougher and they need more heart. Gulutzan got a lot of their systems working better, but they need to tighten things up a bit more, and I think we need a new goalie coach, our numbers went off a cliff when we hired Jordan Sigalet, and they never quite recovered. Also, players need to stay out of the box, they did great for that last night, but we were one of the most penalized teams this season and that carried over to playoffs.
The Leafs have certainly not been at it longer. They were a team that was trying to make the playoffs every year but simply weren't good enough. The actual rebuild has only been going on for a couple years.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They have in recent history, but not really anymore, I'd actually take the Flames roster over the Ducks right now.
Really? You're taking a team who finished 5th last in the previous season over a team who has won their own division every season since the lockout?

The ducks finished well ahead of the Flames this regular season and are one game out from sweeping the flames and you think the flames are the better team? Don't get me wrong the flames are on their way up and the ducks are aging and nearing the end of their run but take off the homer glasses, the Ducks are the better team right now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:45 AM
恭喜发财!

I think Elliott has played himself out of a contract extension / raise with this playoff series. Flames could easily be up 2-1 or even 3-0 if he'd played as well as he could, rather than playing sub .900.

Discipline and bad luck don't help, though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:54 AM
Community Guy

Even with this cold weather, the town is heating up. Off to the local with some buds.

GO OILERS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:47 AM

Thumbs down

Wow Edmonton is getting destroyed 6 nothing!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow Edmonton is getting destroyed 6 nothing!!
I knew getting Thornton back might have changed things a bit. I hope the Oil show up in game 5 because they sure didn't show up tonight, at all! 15 seconds in, I was like ffs here we go.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:07 AM
Community Guy

Awful. Mayybe the worst in 2-3 yrs.

Laurels?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:35 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Awful. Mayybe the worst in 2-3 yrs.

Laurels?
Hey, hey, at least there's for sure another 2 games in the Oiler's season and still a very good chance to move to the second round - just a few hours south of you, golf courses are open and eagerly awaiting the increased influx of players in most likely a day or two.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Hey, hey, at least there's for sure another 2 games in the Oiler's season and still a very good chance to move to the second round - just a few hours south of you, golf courses are open and eagerly awaiting the increased influx of players in most likely a day or two.
You never know, the Flames could follow in the Kings' footsteps and come back and win the series like they did with San Jose a few years back from a 3-0 deficit.

But more than likely you are correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada