HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:46 AM

Las Vegas
Connects a parking garage to the Showcase Mall on the Strip.
Photo: Me

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 10:33 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

More Atlanta.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 3:09 PM

That's a great shot of the concrete-framed building.

These walkways connect warehouses in Shad Thames, London. Now the warehouses have been converted into flats, and the walkways are used as balconies - though according to Wikipedia, someone has bought flats on either side of the street, and restored the walkway between them.

JoMiD, Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/15208245@N00/1887702039/

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 5:09 PM
Khan

^ Very cool.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 1:28 AM
Corporate logo

Philadelphia's newest skywalks: from the Piazza at Schmidts' in Northern Liberties.

Photo credit: Swinefeld

Photo credit: Swinefeld

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Nine-decker in Las Vegas
I went back over there to get a better picture and I noticed around the back side that they now have a 13-level skywalk connecting to the new Building C. This is at the World Market Center.

So, are there skywalks with more levels?

Last edited by mdiederi; May 25, 2009 at 3:05 AM. Reason: added a hyphen.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 9:15 PM
So very tired...

Couple from Edmonton, including a double-decker, with its own Tim Hortons.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 6:49 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
I went back over there to get a better picture and I noticed around the back side that they now have a 13-level skywalk connecting to the new Building C. This is at the World Market Center.

So, are there skywalks with more levels?

The former Luna Park public housing towers have 20 floor tall skywalks in a manner similar to the above posted. Each tower is composed of four separate housing blocks, with outdoor walkways connecting each one at each level. At the intersection of the walkways is a central core with elevators and stairs. There are five towers.

Three of the towers are visible to the right of this photo, the outdoor 'skywalks' are the darker, horizontal looking areas connecting the brick faced units. Notice the Manhattan skyline far in the distance:

Gary Dunaier on flickr.com

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
The former Luna Park public housing towers
Are they still standing? Anyway, if those had mega-levels of skywalks, there must be more around.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 11:38 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Yes, they are, but they're private apartments now. They are the only buildings like them I've ever seen anywhere.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 2:37 AM
FUS RO DAH!

this can hardly still be called a SKYWALK... its basically just a NARROW part of the building now!

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:06 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
this can hardly still be called a SKYWALK... its basically just a NARROW part of the building now!

That's basically what a skywalk is.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:26 AM
BANNED

^^^ Not really, I would say a skywalk is completely different due to the fact that its engineered much more like a bridge than a building. Then again, if one defines it like that, then the Daley Center in Chicago is the world's largest, craziest skywalk.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:43 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Not really, I would say a skywalk is completely different due to the fact that its engineered much more like a bridge than a building. Then again, if one defines it like that, then the Daley Center in Chicago is the world's largest, craziest skywalk.
Well then we can start applying the idea of the span into the question, and really in the Las Vegas case how is the vertical multiplication of the span not different than what you describe is a skywalk? The fact is there really isn't a difference; if it were one floor only everyone would be in agreement that yes, that is a skywalk, but since it extends over the entire height of the building, there is argument. To me, so long as those walkways serve as links to other structures, and are not themselves a programmatic focal point, they are 'skywalks,' regardless of how they are engineered. I would like to hear the argument, though, that Daley Center is just a series of multiplied links between larger buildings.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:47 AM
FUS RO DAH!

links to other structures? So the corridor in my apartment bedroom is a skywalk, because it links the structures of my bedroom and living room, in the 16th floor

I think more like nowhereman... a skywalk is more like a "bridge". When a skywalk has the same height as the building, it becomes so much a part of the building that it loses its definition.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 6:05 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
links to other structures? So the corridor in my apartment bedroom is a skywalk, because it links the structures of my bedroom and living room, in the 16th floor
The corridor in your apartment bedroom is not at all attached along the sides to anything else, as in the corridor is completely structurally separated from your apartment except for the beginning and end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor
I think more like nowhereman... a skywalk is more like a "bridge". When a skywalk has the same height as the building, it becomes so much a part of the building that it loses its definition.
No. You deciding it isn't a skywalk simply because it is building height is an entirely arbitrary definition. If this structure were only one or two floors there would be no argument; so then what is the difference between a skywalk being one floor tall and being nine floors tall? The answer is; there is no difference, as long as it is a passageway attached from its ends to two or more other structures, since clearly the number of supporting columns or number of engaged floors wouldn't come up in a semantic conversation about any skywalk that was only one floor tall.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 1:39 PM

Quote:
It's an enclosed narrow walkway spanning a gap between two distinctly separate buildings and, most importantly, it does not have a ground floor (you have to go outside to link the ground floors of the two buildings). The building on the right is actually taller than the building on the left, so no, it's not the same height as the buildings. There are a couple extra support pillars connected to the ground, but several other skywalks in this thread also have extra support pillars, and, of course, pillars are a normal part of several engineering methods for bridge building. There's a six-decker on the very first post in this thread that's almost the same height as the buildings it connects. The Wikipedia page about WMC refers to these as "skywalks". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Market_Center

Some skywalks in this thread have rooms in them, are those still skywalks or are they actually skybuildings? There's another skywalk here in Vegas that connects the Luxor resort with the Mandalay Bay resort, crossing over Hacienda ave., and inside the skywalk is a 100,000 square foot shopping mall.

Last edited by mdiederi; May 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:59 PM
Corporate logo

Yes, THIS is a skywalk, even though it has seven levels.

A skywalk is an enclosed walkway that connect two separate buildings regardless of how many levels it is. And it must be above street level, i.e., no ground level, hence the "sky" part of skywalk.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:07 PM

Are these skywalks?

345 California Street, San Francisco

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nia_Street.JPG

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:57 PM

^^^^^ Yes - perhaps not part of the main family tree, but certainly a cousin.

A couple from Swindon, England. One is technically a bridge, because it doesn't connect two buildings, but what the hell, I'm feeling crazy.

my pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture