HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 8:27 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wasatch, I assume Trimet's reasoning is that the orange line isn't going to have the same frequency as the yellow line. It would be confusing if sometimes the yellow line continued south and other times it didn't. Granted, that's what they're making happen anyway, but the difference is that riders will know if their train is headed further south if it becomes the orange line. Geez, that's stupidly confusing. The real question is, if someone gets on a yellow line train north of downtown, will they have any way of knowing whether or not that train will become orange? Or will they have to just take the yellow downtown and see what happens? Stupidly confusing. It's a shame frequency isn't going to line up such that the yellow line would go to Milwaukee every time, that way there would be no need for the color to change.

Is there ever a circumstance when a blue line MAX train changes en route to red?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 11:45 PM
Karma Police

Actually, they said that the Yellow WILL always go through to Milwaukie, but for some reason, the Orange won't always go past Union Station. I can't imagine why there would be a difference in frequencies, but assuming that's the case, why wouldn't they just have a full-length Expo Center-Milwaukie Yellow line, then a separate, shorter Union Station-Milwaukie Orange line? Then people getting on south of downtown will know whether their train goes all the way north, or turns around downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 12:35 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Actually, they said that the Yellow WILL always go through to Milwaukie, but for some reason, the Orange won't always go past Union Station.
If that's the case, then I REALLY don't understand it. The map shows a yellow line changing to orange once it reaches downtown. Why not have the yellow line go all the way from Milwaukee to the Expo Center, and have the orange line that goes from Milwaukee to downtown Portland?

Last edited by 2oh1; Jun 21, 2015 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:08 AM
Karma Police

Exactly.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Wasatch, I assume Trimet's reasoning is that the orange line isn't going to have the same frequency as the yellow line. It would be confusing if sometimes the yellow line continued south and other times it didn't. Granted, that's what they're making happen anyway, but the difference is that riders will know if their train is headed further south if it becomes the orange line. Geez, that's stupidly confusing. The real question is, if someone gets on a yellow line train north of downtown, will they have any way of knowing whether or not that train will become orange? Or will they have to just take the yellow downtown and see what happens? Stupidly confusing. It's a shame frequency isn't going to line up such that the yellow line would go to Milwaukee every time, that way there would be no need for the color to change.

Is there ever a circumstance when a blue line MAX train changes en route to red?
Red line trains frequently turn into Blue line trains at Gateway. At least, that's been my experiences when I leave the airport after 10 pm.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Snapped some pics of the new MAX line

SE Gideon st., Clinton station

SE Rhine station

SE Bybee station (I live near this one!)

world's shortest pay phone - seriously, its like 3' tall.

RC train moving trains around the Brooklyn Yard

Lloyd District in the background

I think its really odd that the rails aren't straight, but wavy. Whats the deal, Trimet?

Last edited by zilfondel; Jul 7, 2015 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:13 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

SE OMSI transit station

Looks like the new transit station on the east side of the river is just about finished
Interesting configuration - bikes on the outside, trains in the middle, buses on the inside.

looking west

looking east, overpass is MLK viaduct

pics by me

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 7:03 PM

ADA requires that where payphones are installed, at least one of them be low enough for wheelchair users to reach. Why a payphone is being installed at all in 2015 is perhaps a larger mystery.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM

Thanks Zilfondel! Great pics!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 9:05 PM

[QUOTE=zilfondel;7081678]Snapped some pics of the new MAX line

SE Gideon st., Clinton station

Awesome pics - thank you very much. LOOK AT PAW!!! It positively looms in this photo (I realize it's a telephoto shot, but still).

Last edited by rsbear; Jul 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 9:22 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Thanks guys! Yeah, I got a new camera.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 2:20 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
ADA requires that where payphones are installed, at least one of them be low enough for wheelchair users to reach. Why a payphone is being installed at all in 2015 is perhaps a larger mystery.
Although most people have a cell phone now, not everybody does. Also, somebody's battery could have died before they could recharge. If somebody needs to call 911.....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:21 AM

Here's a few pictures from last night of an Orange line train approaching and crossing the bridge. There was a streetcar going over just a few minutes before, but I wasn't able to get a shot of that.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:47 PM

I've been regularly seeing trains coming through SE Portland over the past few days. Last night they were running them at about 9 pm even. Since it doesn't open for a week I'm not sure if they're just testing, or just trying to get people used to them passing through the neighborhoods?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 7:44 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
I've been regularly seeing trains coming through SE Portland over the past few days. Last night they were running them at about 9 pm even. Since it doesn't open for a week I'm not sure if they're just testing, or just trying to get people used to them passing through the neighborhoods?
They've been running trains for several weeks now, almost on a regular schedule. I can see the bridge from here and there are trains going across in both directions all day long, about 10-15 minutes apart. Occasionally, I see streetcars and buses crossing as well. In fact, as I type this, there are two streetcars crossing paths about midspan.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 8:21 PM

How exciting, the bridge is coming to life!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 8:30 PM
A before E

Quote:
As of September 1st, they have been running them on their future regular schedule to show how the trains will run in rotation with the other lines. It is basically the finally testing stage before the line opens.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 7:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Trimet has been running the Orange Line trains on their regular schedule. All day, until after midnight.

Next Saturday they are doing a free ride day with some events at some of the stops. 11am-6pm.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:52 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! I knew about the opening next Saturday, but didn't know about the practice operations leading up to it. I'm already planning on having a late lunch in Milwaukie next Saturday at either Cha Cha Cha or Rice Thai.

I'll ride the bus, but I'm happy to have a late night frequent service train that can move me around SE. The 33 is something I've only used in case of emergency because it was awful. The 70 to the 9 or 17 was better.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:31 AM
A before E

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone! I knew about the opening next Saturday, but didn't know about the practice operations leading up to it. I'm already planning on having a late lunch in Milwaukie next Saturday at either Cha Cha Cha or Rice Thai.

I'll ride the bus, but I'm happy to have a late night frequent service train that can move me around SE. The 33 is something I've only used in case of emergency because it was awful. The 70 to the 9 or 17 was better.
Between 11a-6p, downtown Milwaukie will be having a full on Main St party going on.

Milwaukie's Orange Line Opening Celebration

Also, check the bus maps because a number of them are changing. The 31, 32, and 33 will no longer be going to downtown Portland once the light rail line is active. The Orange Line will be the only direct route into downtown besides the 99 bus during rush hours.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure