HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Sunday evening:
Great shots.

It's nice that they can use the boarding facility at Canada Place now instead of having to borrow space at the Seabus terminal as the previous incarnations of the Vancouver-Victoria harbour-to-harbour ferries had to.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 3:25 AM
Reason and Freedom

Two promotional videos with brief glimpses inside the ferry:

Video Link

Video Link

Far superior videos can and should be done to promote this venture.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:58 PM

Was in Victoria when this docked. Notice a total of two passengers did the crossing.

I did not have high hopes for this being a success. They should pull it off the Victoria run and put it on Nanaimo. It can probably do a harbour to harbour crossing in close to 1 hour. Far more viable as a business.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:33 PM

This would be nice to do. I hope I get the chance before it folds

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Was in Victoria when this docked. Notice a total of two passengers did the crossing.

I did not have high hopes for this being a success. They should pull it off the Victoria run and put it on Nanaimo. It can probably do a harbour to harbour crossing in close to 1 hour. Far more viable as a business.
Victoria is a larger city and a larger tourist draw than Nanaimo.

Originally I was going to say that this ferry is probably trying to compete with the Helijet, but looking at their website and logistics it's pretty clear that they're just going for tourist dollars. I don't see how this survives to 2018.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Originally I was going to say that this ferry is probably trying to compete with the Helijet, but looking at their website and logistics it's pretty clear that they're just going for tourist dollars. I don't see how this survives to 2018.
It's almost a bit tragic to see the steady stream of hopeful operators that have tried this over the years. If these guys have any chance of succeeding it will be in the form of a summer-only operation that's booked in advance through tour operators and sites. But BC Ferries already has a lot more experience doing that with a better, more convenient schedule and at a much lower cost. So I'm pretty skeptical too.

The ones who are actually making money on these repeated attempts are the companies that lease or sell the ships and ones running the harbour facilities.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Victoria is a larger city and a larger tourist draw than Nanaimo.

The key benefit of doing Nanaimo is at aprox. 1 hour it is a competitive service to BC Ferries. Long ago in the 90s when there was a seacat service to both Nanaimo and Victoria I regularly did the Nanaimo run. It was rate that they filled the ship, but it did have passengers.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:40 AM

While I am also sceptic of the viability of this year-round, one should keep in mind that both Victoria and especially Vancouver have growns a lot since the 90s (or whenever the last ferry operated). Amount of traffic between the two must have grown quite a bit and I don't think BC Ferries has increased service all that much. So there is certainly more potential than previously, but is it still enough...

3.5 hours sounds also very long. Surprisingly long, even.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 6:40 AM

I did the trip from Vancouver to Victoria a couple weeks ago during their half price promotion. At $60 for the one way ticket, it was reasonable and convenient for me to try it out for a visit to see my family for the weekend.

I was initially daunted by the thought of three and half hours, but in truth it takes all of that and more to do the same journey by Canada Line to Bridgeport Station, transfer to express bus to Tsawassen, BC Ferry, and another express bus to downtown Victoria. The latter route takes about 5 hours plus the hassle of all the transfers and waits, though it only costs about $25.

The cabin is comfortable. Food and beverage service good quality and not overpriced. Staff are friendly and available. Roof deck is great! Views spectacular.

The closeness to the surface of the water makes the V2V experience far more enjoyable than looking down from the great heights of the mammoth BC Ferries, with seemingly more opportunities to view birds, porpoises, whales, eagles, etc. The speed at 30 knots is smooth and fast (BC Ferry travels at about 20 knots).

Full price at $120 for seat in the main cabin without meal included would be still be a fair price for a visitor coming from Vancouver to stay overnight in Victoria before returning the following afternoon. Upon arrival in Victoria, they are smack in the middle of the Inner Harbour with all afternoon, evening and all next morning making it fairly easy to take in major attractions and have a couple good meals and not feel rushed.

As part of a one way itinerary onwards to Seattle this would have great appeal as well.

Either tourist excursion package is clearly how the operators have conceived it, and it could do well once travel tour companies get it fitted into total trips that may include an Alaska Cruise or larger Pacific Northwest adventure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 11:00 PM
loafing in lotusland

Also, remember that Vancouver is a starting port for Alaska Cruises. I can totally see tourists doing a trip to Victoria before or after an Alaskan Cruise.

A 2PM return seems weird. I know tourists who would go to Victoria for the day if it returned at 5pm. Heck, I know people who do day trips on BC Ferries, using public transit or a scheduled charter bus... but perhaps they will partner with another operator, who will offer either a flight back... or a bus back.

If you see how much money is being spent on the Rocky Mountaineer trains... $$$ you'll see people will pay for luxury. I AM disappointed that the Whistler Mountaineer was discontinued though. You can only take that train as part of a longer (and much more expensive) package.

Look at the great reviews for this 13-hour tour to Victoria:
https://www.viator.com/tours/Vancouv...s/d616-3914_3B

I'm guessing that's 7am to 8pm, with actual time on island being from 10:30ish to 5pm.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Jun 5, 2017 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Two? Was that a typo?

I'm old enough to remember when Royal Sealink tried it with virtually the same kind of craft. Didn't work then, can't see why it would now. It can also be much rougher than ferry riders are used to if there is a stiff chop.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:05 AM

Clipper cancels Vancouver ferry plans; focuses on Seattle service upgrade
http://www.vancourier.com/clipper-ca...ade-1.23115345

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Shocking.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:07 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
As far as V2V's operations, the ferry itself has not been running since August supposedly due to mechanical issues according to V2V. I walk past the ticket office every morning, it's been locked and unstaffed for months but lights are always on and gift items fully stocked plus they installed a large V2V sign long after the office shut down.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Two? Was that a typo?

I'm old enough to remember when Royal Sealink tried it with virtually the same kind of craft. Didn't work then, can't see why it would now. It can also be much rougher than ferry riders are used to if there is a stiff chop.
No typo. It was two. The crew compliment is likely more than that. There were two land-side staff members that handled docking the ship. So the ratio of staff to passangers was well "impressive".

Good move by the clipper people to stay focused on Victoria to Seattle. Not certain if the V2V will return.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:28 PM

Yeah, I've said it before, Downtown Victoria is just too far for this to make any sense, and Nanaimo isn't a big enough tourist draw. If Victoria was situated where Nanaimo is, it would probably work.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It's almost a bit tragic to see the steady stream of hopeful operators that have tried this over the years. If these guys have any chance of succeeding it will be in the form of a summer-only operation that's booked in advance through tour operators and sites. But BC Ferries already has a lot more experience doing that with a better, more convenient schedule and at a much lower cost. So I'm pretty skeptical too.

The ones who are actually making money on these repeated attempts are the companies that lease or sell the ships and ones running the harbour facilities.
Is normal passenger ferry from Waterfront to Nanaimo (an alternative to BC Ferries service) ever likely to be profitable?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 12:50 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Is normal passenger ferry from Waterfront to Nanaimo (an alternative to BC Ferries service) ever likely to be profitable?
There were several attempts at this in the past and they all eventually failed. An operator with a single boat is always troublesome due to mechanical issues.

I am not sure whether it would make sense for BC Ferries to run Vancouver Downtown to Nanaimo route maybe Summers only to begin with. There is a ton of people walking onto the ferries in Horseshoe Bay, so I think the ridership should be there provided that the price is right.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:13 AM

Most people going to Nanaimo as a foot passenger have friends or family pick them up on the other side - so I don't know if a downtown terminal would be a draw.
The Horseshoe Bay Express bus is only 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver and very convenient.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
There's still action of sorts in Nanaimo and the company is still active online

https://www.facebook.com/islandferries

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure