HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:54 PM

That makes more sense - it'll have windows!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 9:59 PM

I just walked past the sales room. I'm not exaggerating. There were between 80-100 people in the line-up. I saw 1 white guy, I East Indian guy in a chair...EVERYBODY ELSE was Asian.

So I think that sums it up: Too expensive for the locals. Off-shore investors, hooray! Keep pushing up the prices!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:20 PM

Most, if not all of those people, are bloodsuckers...err real estate agents. They should put a limit of 1 per person, since they will sell them all in a day anyways, and regular people will be able to get a better deal...rather than paying twice their value...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:53 PM

I saw this on the news too:

Quote:
Over 50 line-up to buy condo on Vancouver's waterfront

Thursday, October 25 - 09:50:00 AM
Tamara Slobogean

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - This is what condo buying has come to in Vancouver. You won't move into your new abode at 'Millennium Water' in the Athletes Village for three years but you can buy one today. Outside the presentation centre at West 2nd and Cook, some buyers have been camped out for days.

60 lawn chairs sit in the line-up, and just about everyone has a business card pinned to it, and most seem to belong to realtors. But there are very few actual bodies there, and that seems to be causing a little tension. One man shivering out there since 10 last night says they're not playing fair. He says there are unwritten rules that if you're going to be in the line-up, you don't leave the chair and go home and then come back in the morning nice and fresh.

Up for grabs today are about 200 units and a project billed as Vancouver's last waterfront community. Prices start at $600,000 and go well beyond $3 million. Part of the buzz around this project is that it will first house Olympic athletes in 2010 but today, it seems to be all about the real estate.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 1:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

To be honest, I wouldn't really want another person living in the suite before me... Millennium Water has done an excellent job in marketing this though: Vancouver's Last Waterfront Community... Well, according to the City of Vancouver, the Olympic village area we see by 2010 is only lot 2A. Anyone wanting suites that are new and in the olympic village can purchase them after 2010 when construction starts for lot 1AB, 2B, 3ABC.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 3:46 AM

some pics i found on www.flickr.com

you can see that they've started planting trees on habitat island and along the new seawall

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:57 AM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 12:18 AM

^That last pic is pretty dope.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:21 AM

Millennium Water project does $200 million in sales on 1st day

Malcolm Parry
Sun

Saturday, October, 27, 2007

Folk camped on the Cook Street sidewalk for up to five nights this week to spend an average of $915 a square foot on South False Creek condominiums they can't occupy until 2011. By Thursday night, they'd committed $200 million to acquire 241 of the 302 units in the Millennium Water project's first offering.
It was a big day for star condo marketer Bob Rennie, whose staff recorded deals on an ultra-sustainable project that will put 1,100 residential units -- 400 of them affordable-housing and market-rental -- on its 11-hectare site.

But it wasn't Rennie's biggest opening day. That was the $240-million buying frenzy for the Woodward's redevelopment that also attracted a longer-lasting line of sidewalk campers -- not to buy in but to make their case for the homeless.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:32 AM

Athletes' village still on budget: Mayor
With concrete poured and construction about to begin, development could hit $131-million target

Clare Ogilvie, The Province
Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2007

WHISTLER -- The Whistler athletes' village is set to come in on budget.

With the in-ground infrastructure in place for at least five per cent less than budgeted, the concrete poured and home construction about to begin, it looks like the developers will hit their $131-million target.

"I just don't see it being substantially over budget," said Eric Martin, chairman of the board of the Whistler Development Corporation, which was formed by the municipality to build the village.

"We have tried to build in contingencies all the way along and we have tremendous expertise . . . in everyone that is working on the project," added Whistler Mayor Ken Melamed.

Site work costs came in under estimates by approximately $500,000, due to efficient use of machinery and smaller than anticipated volumes of rock to blast and move. Rock crushing was also moved up in the schedule and completed in 2006, providing a stockpile of approximately 40,000 tonnes of gravel for road base and sub base.

The WDC hasn't touched its $11-million contingency fund, though Martin said he has no qualms about using it if necessary.

The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Games contributed $35.5 million to the project. Originally, the money was to be used to put a temporary village in place to house the close to 2,500 athletes and team officials who will be staying there.

The municipality in 2005 decided instead to use the money as seed funding to help build permanent housing that would be used for local workers after the Games. It is contributing $11 million, with the rest of the money being borrowed, then repaid from proceeds of the sale of the units.

"I think the really good news is that we will end up with over 300 units of resident housing and have the legacy," said Martin, a vice-president at Bosa Development, who took on the project for $1 a year.

The 40 townhouses will go on sale next year and, with more than 700 people on the municipal waiting list for employee housing, there is little doubt they will be snapped up.

There will be 350 residential units for use after the Games. Of those, 240 will be available to local workers to buy. An apartment rental building and an international hostel will provide the remaining 110 units.

The athletes' village phase will sell for about $231 a square foot, so the housing will range from $150,000 to $500,000.

clareogilvie@telus.net

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:46 PM
+

Interesting.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 1:24 PM

here's one of the buildings that went on sale this week -
this one is at 123 West First Ave. i like it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 5:48 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Looks very nice... I like Vancouver's "modern architecture" much more than the European's version. It's much more warm and inviting...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:39 AM

Neat. I like the horizontal windows and the orange balconies.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:10 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

an 8th!!! tall crane is now up at this site

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
an 8th!!! tall crane is now up at this site
Wow! Just incredible.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:15 AM

I think it would be neat to do something creative during the Olympics with the undeveloped land in SEFC outside the security zone.

Imagine if the BC Film Commission and the major local studios built a fake alpine village as a celebration site. It would be an amazing promotion for our film and tv people and it would be an absolute hit with the tourists and int'l media people. Just picture an anchor doing their live daily report from the porch of a chalet in front of a glacial vista. The camera would follow the anchor and zoom out as they walked "off-set" and you would see the fake buildings and snow machine crews, boom mic operators, camera people, costumes, makeup, and director. All the while the anchor talks about the BC film and tv industry while taking off their parka. Finally the anchor is left wearing a normal suit and rain coat, they are handed a coffee, and they walk out of frame onto the seawall and get passed by joggers in shorts while kayakers and dragon boaters pass by in False Creek. Finally the camera pulls back to reveal the entire scene and a director yells "Cut!"

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

LOL

You have many random thoughts SFUVancouver today... are you alright?! =P

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:31 AM

Is that a bad thing? He usually comes up with the best idea's when a little crazy/drunk.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 1:50 AM

A couple photos from Nov 10th

Source: My Photo ( SFUVancouver in SSP | Vancouverite in SSC )

Source: My Photo ( SFUVancouver in SSP | Vancouverite in SSC )

"Habitat Island" is now fully landscaped. This island will only be accessible at low tide. The three tall dead tress are perches for our local bald eagle population.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Nov 11, 2007 at 2:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver