HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 10:42 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

good word gordo!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 11:31 PM

New that I've seen it, I like it, originally I was imagining something actually shapes like a clamshell suspended over the square, but this is really nice.

Wish we could push the government to try and have it completed before 2010, would be a really nice thing to show off and certainly would get some air time on the camera's.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 11:46 PM

i'm gonna have to say that it doesn't really look like a clamshell...and with these improvements, the two glass roofs that currently exist would be removed and should open the square to the public eye:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 12:44 AM

^I have always thought that those round glass roofs (plexiglass?) look hideous. I'd be more than happy to see them gone and it would open up the place to the public eye from the street. As long as the new roof allows as much daylight in as possible I think this thing could actually work. At night they could have some funky lighting as well to help liven up the place.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 1:41 AM
Vancouver Moderator

exactly... it should be built along with the ice rink upgrade so that when we open the ice rink... we can also celebrate the grand opening of the newly renovated Robson Square!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 1:43 AM

maybe we should start a 2010 completion petition. ...and write to the premier.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
maybe we should start a 2010 completion petition. ...and write to the premier.
Well write one up. I don't know how to myself. I'd gladly sign the thing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:19 AM
Site 8 Lives

Agreed with all of the above. The re-introduction of the ice rink to Robson Square is wonderful -- but it will die a quick death if it continues to be hidden under that current roof.

The square needs to be opened up... and this revamp seems to be the way to do it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:50 AM

There was just a report on CTV 6:00 p.m. news about trees being cut down near Robson Square. Speculation is running wild that this is a sign that Gordon Campbell is forcing the clam shell on us without public consultation. The NDP guy is up in arms!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:19 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnny4 View Post
The NDP guy is up in arms!
Tell me something new.

When isn't Carole James and company going off half cocked on some obscure travesty they half create?

I like the new design for Robson Square. From the little we can see here, I can conceive that it would look much better than those two glass domed abominations that are there now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:46 AM

Love the Sketch - Photo of Similar Glass Canopy Structure (metal instead of wood)

Foster Glass Canopy just completed in Washington, DC (pic from the world architect news online):

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...sonian%202.jpg

Apparently this is similar to another one he designed for London. I haven't seen the one in London but the one in DC is incredible. And that is a large building with a very large courtyard (hard to get a sense of scale in the photo). This one is metal and glass but imagine the shape in the sketch with wood and glass. I think it would be really impressive and open up the courtyard magnificently.

Another plus of the canopy is that it can be uplit from below at night for some incredible effects and the glass atrium appears to glow at night so from a distance it has a very impressive appeal.

Anyway, I think it is a cool design and I hope it does come together as part of the renovations of the Robson square.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:49 AM

I don't have any practice getting a photo posted here and not much luck trying, but here is the link to the photo of the DC courtyard with the glass canopy.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:58 AM

Quote:
There was just a report on CTV 6:00 p.m. news about trees being cut down near Robson Square. Speculation is running wild that this is a sign that Gordon Campbell is forcing the clam shell on us without public consultation. The NDP guy is up in arms!
if the trees are being chopped down this quickly, maybe it's a sign that the roof is [hopefully] being fast tracked for 2010?

i would have preferred if they had transplanted those trees elsewhere rather than cutting them down.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 4:00 AM

The concept is different than I had imagined... but that's a good thing. For some reason I had a really screwed up vision of what a clam shell looked like.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 4:22 AM

Well if this thing is partially intended to promote the sale of BC wood then why wouldn't we cut down trees at Robson Square. To do anything else would look bad.

Anyway, I like this. I've done a 180 degree turn in my opinion now that I've seen the elevation and the scope of the project. That should be a lesson for the Premier, always have something visual to accompany the release of information. Otherwise the mind will conjure what it will.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Well if this thing is partially intended to promote the sale of BC wood then why wouldn't we cut down trees at Robson Square. To do anything else would look bad.

Anyway, I like this. I've done a 180 degree turn in my opinion now that I've seen the elevation and the scope of the project. That should be a lesson for the Premier, always have something visual to accompany the release of information. Otherwise the mind will conjure what it will.
Isn't that the truth, for some reason I envisioned really large versions of what Calgary has going on downtown, the controversial "Metal Trees" which they intend to put a cover over... for some reason?

From daryl_mitchell on Flickr
http://flickr.com/photos/daryl_mitchell/413353960/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
Tell me something new.

When isn't Carole James and company going off half cocked on some obscure travesty they half create?

I like the new design for Robson Square. From the little we can see here, I can conceive that it would look much better than those two glass domed abominations that are there now.
maybe she and he can stand out on robson protesting the trees being cut down

saw them on the news getting people to sign a petition against the fare hikes at broadway station

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:24 AM
David

i actually don't mind this roof either... dare i say i like it
like most, it is totally different than how the Sun reporter made it sound. but what do you expect..

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 8:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
This sounds like it could inspire movies - "The Giant Clam that ate Vancouver"; Clamzilla, or Clamfield.

Seriously, it could work and look quite impressive if done right.

Last edited by Architype; Jan 22, 2008 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 9:17 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
Foster Glass Canopy just completed in Washington, DC (pic from the world architect news online):

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...sonian%202.jpg

Apparently this is similar to another one he designed for London. I haven't seen the one in London but the one in DC is incredible. And that is a large building with a very large courtyard (hard to get a sense of scale in the photo). This one is metal and glass but imagine the shape in the sketch with wood and glass. I think it would be really impressive and open up the courtyard magnificently.

Another plus of the canopy is that it can be uplit from below at night for some incredible effects and the glass atrium appears to glow at night so from a distance it has a very impressive appeal.

Anyway, I think it is a cool design and I hope it does come together as part of the renovations of the Robson square.
Thanks, and thanks to johnjimbc for his picture as well.

I absolutely love this glass canopy. What an incredible design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver