HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I think its about time for a

Go GORDO Go! the man sure knows how to get it FUCKING DONE!

I`m in awe............
Too much credit....he should've made this announcement a year ago, at the latest, so that it could've been done by 2010.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:29 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Well, all of the 56 multicoloured columns and the multicoloured glass panels (with the Winter Games sport symbols), as well as the new exterior glass facade, will be completed in time for 2010. Everything shown in the stadium's exterior renderings will be done by 2010.
Wow, that's quite the improvement. Do we know this for certain?

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:42 AM

It looks a lot better than I had expected it to

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 3:33 AM

Interesting picture.....note the water leakage at Commerzbank Arena's roof. I guess it's possible that the players could use it to cool off.

With that said, I believe it only happened once and the problem was resolved....apparently, for just that one time the roof didn't unfold and lock properly 100%.

If that ever happened at BC Place, it would pose some major problems to the events below. Considering that the rim of the retractable roof is a little deeper into the field than Commerzbank, it would affect concerts, trade shows, and might even require football games to be delayed.

Last edited by mr.x; May 17, 2008 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
Wow, that's quite the improvement. Do we know this for certain?
I got it from another member at another forum, who is quite credible and works for the media.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 8:12 PM

Defintely positive news. Even if the external glass panels are installed by 2010, but the roof pillars are not completed (as officedweller credibly asserts), then the stadium would look a little more acceptable.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 8:27 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Congrats Van-City All Stars! This looks like it will be an amazing project! The current roof at BC place has always been a visual landmark and the new roof will certainly follow in this tradition!

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 9:47 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Too much credit....he should've made this announcement a year ago, at the latest, so that it could've been done by 2010.
meh better late than never.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:31 AM

Some pics from the BC Place website:

This is what the upper tier concourse looks now, with the glass windows - which will be removed, and possibly replaced with more opaque and modern looking windows.

The entry concourse today

Concourse.

Ramps to the lower-tier seats.

BC Place Stadium cafeteria/bar/restaurant

BC Place mens restroom

They've got a lot of work to do.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 6:11 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I think its about time for a

Go GORDO Go! the man sure knows how to get it FUCKING DONE!

I`m in awe............
But a year too late!

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:20 PM
BANNED

They can't do anything about the windows cause the building is airtight. When and if they put a Retractable on, only then can the windows go.

Those ugly windows are there to show the world in 2010.

Question is: how far does $ 50 million go? How much reno can you really do with a Stadium that covers 10 acres?

probably not much considering the cost of construction.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 9:41 PM
Registered Luser

I would imagine that the engineers involved in the renovation are taking into account the structural necessities of the elements that will undergo renovation. That's sort of their job.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:25 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't see the windows in the renderings...

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:06 AM
Registered Luser

I don't either. Obviously the engineers have a contingency to allow for the fact that the windows are required to maintain positive pressure inside the building during construction. Perhaps the roof will be deflated for a period of time to allow for construction. Either way, they're not just going to wallpaper over the windows.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Deflation before 2010 is not an option. Every time you deflate and reinflate, you stress the panels and the connections with the cables, which can cause tears.

When the roof deflated last time, tears occured. It's risky, considering the roof is a patchwork as is.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:23 PM
+

$50 Million is really just a drop in the bucket.

This stadium is really going to be an embarrassment on the world stage especially after being compared Beijing's venues, which have set a new standard of architectural excellence.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:33 PM

To be honest I dont think 99% of the viewing public gives a s%*t about the look of BC place stadium... especially considering the cameras are all going be trained on the opening ceremony presentation going on at the floor or on the freshly renovated exterior from above.

What people are going to see is a stadium set in the middle of a sea of high rises, in a beautiful location with an assuredly boring opening ceremony occuring inside, as they are almost always are boring. Everyone on this fourm blows up at the state of BC place but the bottom line is almost everyone outside of this forum does not know or care how old and ugly this stadium currently looks.

And also 50+ million (it was assuredly be over 50 million, that's how government tenders work) in cosmetic improvements to the stadium will actually go a long way. It will allow for completly renovated washrooms, a new lighting system, new sound system, a refurbished concourse and many more cosmetic interior improvements. 50 million dollars for a renovation of a structurally sound building is actaully quite a bit of money.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:36 PM
Cheers!

I think I remember seeing this discussion before. Summer games and winter games are on different levels when it comes to money being put into venues. If you were to compare an upgraded BC Place with all the past winter olympic stadiums, we stand pretty tall. It shouldn't be an embarrassment, because what really matters is the actual sporting venues and I think we'll have set new standards there.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:53 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
To be honest I dont think 99% of the viewing public gives a s%*t about the look of BC place stadium... especially considering the cameras are all going be trained on the opening ceremony presentation going on at the floor or on the freshly renovated exterior from above.

What people are going to see is a stadium set in the middle of a sea of high rises, in a beautiful location with an assuredly boring opening ceremony occuring inside, as they are almost always are boring. Everyone on this fourm blows up at the state of BC place but the bottom line is almost everyone outside of this forum does not know or care how old and ugly this stadium currently looks.

And also 50+ million (it was assuredly be over 50 million, that's how government tenders work) in cosmetic improvements to the stadium will actually go a long way. It will allow for completly renovated washrooms, a new lighting system, new sound system, a refurbished concourse and many more cosmetic interior improvements. 50 million dollars for a renovation of a structurally sound building is actaully quite a bit of money.
I can't remember what Torino's stadium looked like... or Salt Lake's or Athens, and although Beijing's structures are stunning, most people don't know what they look like today.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 9:07 PM

Competing with China? There's a lot of reasons we can't and shouldn't do that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver