HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 8:57 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Vanoc to start closing Vancouver streets as early as Nov. 1 for Olympic preparation

Quote:
VANCOUVER - Vanoc will start closing streets around the Lower Mainland as early as Nov. 1 as it starts to secure sites and install screening stations ahead of the 2010 Olympic Games.
But Vanoc officials insist it has been working with businesses to ensure they can access their shops and won't suffer economic fallout from the closures.
A section of Quebec Street between First and Second avenues and a portion of Stanley Park around Olympic Village will be the first to be closed. A series of other closures will occur in January.
Vanoc has released a website today to allow residents to see where the closures will occur.
Meanwhile, Olympic Games spectators and residents are urged to "know before they go" to work or any Olympic events to ensure they have enough time to get there.
Vanoc is encouraging spectators to get to an event two or three hours in advance so they can get screened and in their seats before the event starts.
Spectators will be able to book their bus tickets in November.
More to come.

Source: CanWest Media

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:06 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:07 PM
Hello World

It begins !!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:22 PM
David

Quote:
a portion of Stanley Park around Olympic Village
Uhhhh.... what? I'm assuming they mean "a portion of (the seawall) around Olympic Village". Terrible reporting...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:17 PM

grin . . . well, the seawall runs around the edge of Stanley Park so I guess they assume the terminology is interchangeable .

This reminds me of how the Washington Post could report on US national political happenings with no problem, but if there was a fire in sight of their headquarters building downtown, their metro section somehow couldn't produce an accurate map of the location for the next print edition. The locals always chalked it up to the Northern Virginia addresses of most of their reporters .

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:42 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

"A section of Quebec Street between First and Second avenues"

WTF hope its only a lane or 2.............during the games ya sure shut her down. but in November? !WTF!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:47 PM

now you can see why so many people want th crap out of this city

most don't even realize that the closures and changes will be in effect longer than the 2 weeks

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:52 PM

With the speed that this city likes to work on things, one guy at a time, it's probably for the better.

Quote:
Vanoc is encouraging spectators to get to an event two or three hours in advance so they can get screened and in their seats before the event starts.
Haha. Fat chance.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:58 PM

Here's the chronology of closures - nothing unexpected...

http://www.cknw.com/Other/2009_10_14...ayered_map.pdf

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 11:04 PM
Transit User

With all these parking restrictions and bums in jails I bet the traffic flow will actually improve...Maybe I should be driving to work?!? Now, if we could only ban couriers and cyclists things would be really looking up...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
With all these parking restrictions and bums in jails I bet the traffic flow will actually improve...Maybe I should be driving to work?!? Now, if we could only ban couriers and cyclists things would be really looking up...
Some of us still need to make money regardless of the Olympics! And I can ONLY deliver during business hours. The city still has to run as normal and the people who make it run still need to get around.

Anyway, I love how on the news someone was saying, "if you really must work during the Olympics..." Ha, not all of us can just skip town for the duration of the games.

And to shut down some of these areas in November just seems a little excessive to me.

/rant

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:23 AM

Sweet, considering they will probably ban left turns in most of Downtown and parking along the streets, it should be way easier to get to my underground parking spot at work. No way in hell I am taking an even more overcrowded transit system when I already have paid parking.
Taking 2 weeks of in Feb? That would be as good as saying to my boss that I am quitting...wouldn't be allowed even if I had 2 extra weeks vacation time.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Some of us still need to make money regardless of the Olympics! And I can ONLY deliver during business hours. The city still has to run as normal and the people who make it run still need to get around.

Anyway, I love how on the news someone was saying, "if you really must work during the Olympics..." Ha, not all of us can just skip town for the duration of the games.

And to shut down some of these areas in November just seems a little excessive to me.

/rant
You have to remember the Olympics isn't for common folk like you and me. Its a rich man's party and they have no clue of what life is like for the common folk who end up footing the bill.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
You have to remember the Olympics isn't for common folk like you and me. Its a rich man's party and they have no clue of what life is like for the common folk who end up footing the bill.
Must you be so negative all the time?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:06 AM

its true though

anyway at least robson, granville and mainland will become "pedestrianized" for the duration

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:09 AM

Here's the newest Games event: The marathon commute

Invest in a bus pass or prepare to walk as city moves to reduce auto traffic

By Pete McMartin, Vancouver SunOctober 14, 2009 9:00 PM

Yes, there will be delays.

Yes, there will be times when you may not be able to get from A to B, at least, not before detouring through the rest of the alphabet.

So, you have two options when it comes to responding to the street closures and traffic restrictions that the Winter Olympics will begin to bring to our fair city as early as next month.

You can (a) whine.

Or you can (b) get with the program, you party pooper, and embrace the Olympic Spirit! Which will likely mean you having to take the bus in the near future. Where you will sit beside the man whose breath smells overpoweringly of garlic.

(There is, actually, a third option, though it entails alcohol.)

So say you choose Option B. You have decided to embrace the Olympic Spirit! Good for you! First, you should be made aware of the fact that most of the parking spaces on the street in the downtown core will no longer be available to the public, and those that will be available have been reserved for the sole personal use of IOC chairman Jacques Rogge, who will need them whenever he feels the urge to stop somewhere and get some sushi to go.

You should also be made aware that the City of Vancouver plans to reduce car traffic coming into the downtown core by 30 per cent during peak hours. Since some 55,000 cars presently do so now -- cars which, when stacked end to end, as they usually are, would form a line all the way from my home in Tsawwassen to my office at the foot of Granville, as they usually do -- that means the city hopes to have 16,500 fewer cars entering the downtown core during the Olympic period. Which means you will have to leave your car at home so I won't have to.

Okay, so let's now look at your options.

You can walk. No, seriously. This is a particularly good option if you live in the second-floor apartment above the Seven-11 in which you work. If your commute happens to be a little farther than that, the City of Vancouver, according to Wednesday's press release, "will implement an easily recognizable and consistent way-finding program to guide residents." The one downside to this will be, of course, that you will have to walk to implement this program.

You can bike. If you have never biked to work before, you are in for a treat, especially since you will have a chance to experience first-hand our dedicated paramedic crews in action.

Or, if you happen to live outside the City of Vancouver, where long commutes preclude the walking and biking options, Vanoc and TransLink suggest various strategies to ease your commute.

These are:

1. Don't. Work from home. Upside: Nude dress code. Downside: You get laid off after boss notices how well things are going in the office without you around.

2. Carpool. Your neighbour who insists 9/11 was an inside job? This is your chance to really get to know him.

3. Commute during off-peak hours. TransLink has suggested, for example, that you consider not commuting between 7 and 9 a.m., and 2 to 7 p.m. I understand this to mean that I am to arrive at work after 9 a.m. and leave work before 2 p.m. Which in my case would be a longer than usual work day.

4. Take transit. Your best bet. The Metro Vancouver is blessed with a variety of rapid transit systems that can whisk you to and from your office within days. During your commute, you can read the newspaper, do paperwork or watch to see if the woman snoring in the seat next to you will drool out of the side of her mouth. Two words of advice for those of you new to the transit system? Flu shot.

5. Take a vacation. Not, unfortunately, an option for most of us.

Somebody has to pay for all this.

pmcmartin@vancouversun.com

604-605-2905

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Her...302/story.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Taking 2 weeks of in Feb? That would be as good as saying to my boss that I am quitting...wouldn't be allowed even if I had 2 extra weeks vacation time.
Same here. Our office has been informed that a full complement of staff is required during the games, so I'm stuck having to put up with this bullcrap.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:24 PM

that article was so annoying. why can't reporters just report things anymore. everything has to be blog-like.

"You should also be made aware that the City of Vancouver plans to reduce car traffic coming into the downtown core by 30 per cent during peak hours. Since some 55,000 cars presently do so now"

i guess reporters don't check stats either? There's way more than 55,000 cars that come into downtown everyday. looking at the vehicle traffic stats posted on the city's website (http://vancouver.ca/projects/burrard/statistics.htm), Burrard bridge alone had 66,912 vehicles cross on oct.2. Granville bridge had 68,998 vehicles. now add cambie bridge, the dunsmuir viaduct, stanley park causeway and hasting street and you get a lot more than 55k! duh.

"all the way from my home in Tsawwassen to my office at the foot of Granville"
i doubt this guy takes transit to work from Tsawwassen. so why is he bitching about the traffic when he's THE one contributing to it?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Must you be so negative all the time?
Some of us didn't drink Gordo's Kool Aid.

What's the rational for closing Quebec Street between Terminal and 2nd between January 15 and March 35? Ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:54 PM
testify

i can't wait to wander up pedestrianized robson!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]