HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Some of us didn't drink Gordo's Kool Aid.

What's the rational for closing Quebec Street between Terminal and 2nd between January 15 and March 35? Ridiculous.
Athletes start moving in mid-January and the Olympic Village transportation compound lot is located west of Quebec Street right next to the Village.

I think you're drinking your own kool aid.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Some of us didn't drink Gordo's Kool Aid.

What's the rational for closing Quebec Street between Terminal and 2nd between January 15 and March 35? Ridiculous.
What in the world does Quebec Street's closure a month before the games have to do with Gordon Campbell?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:22 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Sweet, considering they will probably ban left turns in most of Downtown and parking along the streets, it should be way easier to get to my underground parking spot at work. No way in hell I am taking an even more overcrowded transit system when I already have paid parking.
Exactly my point. And I bet I will be making a record time as:

a) most people will be too scared to come downtown
b) there will be no street parking
c) most of the remaining people will be lined up for a lube job/strip search in front of some Olympic venue

Off the topic, I wonder whether the cyclists will be allowed to do their little protest tour of downtown during Olympics? Or it that allowed only when it inconveniences common folk and not the members of the Olympic oligarchy (even more of the topic when somebody mentions Olympic Committee - I immediately have this mental image of the “Republic party headquarters” from the Simpsons in my head. I wonder why is that?).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
that article was so annoying. why can't reporters just report things anymore. everything has to be blog-like.

"You should also be made aware that the City of Vancouver plans to reduce car traffic coming into the downtown core by 30 per cent during peak hours. Since some 55,000 cars presently do so now"

i guess reporters don't check stats either? There's way more than 55,000 cars that come into downtown everyday. looking at the vehicle traffic stats posted on the city's website (http://vancouver.ca/projects/burrard/statistics.htm), Burrard bridge alone had 66,912 vehicles cross on oct.2. Granville bridge had 68,998 vehicles. now add cambie bridge, the dunsmuir viaduct, stanley park causeway and hasting street and you get a lot more than 55k! duh.

"all the way from my home in Tsawwassen to my office at the foot of Granville"
i doubt this guy takes transit to work from Tsawwassen. so why is he bitching about the traffic when he's THE one contributing to it?
it's not a news article - its an opinion/editorial piece

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What in the world does Quebec Street's closure a month before the games have to do with Gordon Campbell?
Because our dear leader, the huckster-in-chief, has promoted this as the greatest thing for BC since sliced bread. He is not interested in the negative effect it will have on small businesses or your average-joe commuter.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 5:35 PM

....as if the NDP, the party that started the Olympic bid, wouldn't be doing the same if it were in power.

But hey, these days being anti-Campbell also means being anti-Olympics...just for the heck of it, right?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 1:35 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Not that the Provincial Government had any control in the closure of streets anyway...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Exactly my point. And I bet I will be making a record time as:

a) most people will be too scared to come downtown
b) there will be no street parking
c) most of the remaining people will be lined up for a lube job/strip search in front of some Olympic venue

Off the topic, I wonder whether the cyclists will be allowed to do their little protest tour of downtown during Olympics? Or it that allowed only when it inconveniences common folk and not the members of the Olympic oligarchy (even more of the topic when somebody mentions Olympic Committee - I immediately have this mental image of the “Republic party headquarters” from the Simpsons in my head. I wonder why is that?).
You know - the more I read about Olympic Security, the more disgusted I am with Canada. How can we let the RCMP trample on our right to free speech n - the security at the games is complete overkill and the draconian laws being considered by the BC government means that Canada has finally accepted that it wants to be a Police State. Let them get away with it at the Olympics and there's no stopping them. Already the police goons in Victoria are searching people travelling downtown on Canada Day - ironic considering that is the birthday of a supposedly free country.

Sorry Canada - but I'm totally annoyed at the acceptance of this crap and embarrassed to be a Canadian these days. What did we fight for 60 years ago?

We'd all better start learning how to goose step. Oh, and don't say anything negative about the complete waste of money greedy Olympics and the fascists running this Province.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:47 AM

Moving on...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 8:04 AM

I just love the arrogance and ignorance of these people who keep trying to compare BC to a "Police State" during the Olympics. I'm more then willing to fly who thinks this way to North Korea so they can see what a real Police State is like, not the fantasy in their head. Not to mention how disrespectful it is to those who have "vanished" in those countries. So is there anyone who will take me up on that, ya thought not. Now I feel like eating cheese for some strange reason.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:28 PM

I like how they're all so naive to think that the government would have diverted any of that money to their cherished causes had we not had the Olympics. Like they would have spent any of the billions on anything else.

Why are they afraid of these temporary by-laws? They only target people who want to cause a disturbance. If you play by the rules, you don't get targeted. What is it about this culture that people think they can flout the rules? And to be embarrassed to be Canadian over something temporary, get over yourself Lightrail.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Why are they afraid of these temporary by-laws? They only target people who want to cause a disturbance. If you play by the rules, you don't get targeted. What is it about this culture that people think they can flout the rules?
Have you read the VANOC guidelines? Have you read the City by-law? Have you seen the contract that the city signed with VANOC?

A few examples of stuff you can't do:

- Someone involved in organizing a summer festival in Vancouver wanted to pass our brochures about the festival on Robson street during the Olympics. She consulted with a lawyer who said that she would probably be removed from downtown or arrested for doing so.

- Wear a t-shirt that points out one of the Olympic sponsors pollutes - You will be apprehended by the police and/or arrested.

- Put a sign that says "Free Speech Zone" in your storefront on Robson. That is illegal (only "celebratory" signs are allowed).

Hopefully there will be a massive rebellion against this clear violation of the charter of rights and freedoms.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 8:50 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5baxter View Post
Have you read the VANOC guidelines? Have you read the City by-law? Have you seen the contract that the city signed with VANOC?

A few examples of stuff you can't do:

- Someone involved in organizing a summer festival in Vancouver wanted to pass our brochures about the festival on Robson street during the Olympics. She consulted with a lawyer who said that she would probably be removed from downtown or arrested for doing so.

- Wear a t-shirt that points out one of the Olympic sponsors pollutes - You will be apprehended by the police and/or arrested.

- Put a sign that says "Free Speech Zone" in your storefront on Robson. That is illegal (only "celebratory" signs are allowed).

Hopefully there will be a massive rebellion against this clear violation of the charter of rights and freedoms.
If these people had any common sense, they would ignore these rules, as they ARE clearly against the charter. If the police do anything to enforce this, you can easily win in court. Regardless as to whether or not these laws are illegal, nothing will be done about it until you fight the law with another law.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 9:03 PM

That, and I highly doubt the rules will be enforced to the letter. The rules were put in place to repress those who seek to disrupt the games and the activities surrounding it, not people living their normal day to day lives. So even if you make minor infringements of the rules, I don't think the hammer will be dropped on your head.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 11:01 PM

To everyone whos threatens that they're going to get out of town during the Olympics, I say go. Your absence will only help with the Games' transportation challenges.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
To everyone whos threatens that they're going to get out of town during the Olympics, I say go. Your absence will only help with the Games' transportation challenges.
Agreed! I like that better than trying to explain to people why staying will be much more enjoyable.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 3:14 AM

I'm not about to raise a stink over 4 weeks of my life where I can't wear a protest t-shirt. I have better things to spend my $ on then ruin a t-shirt with a stupid political message.

I also have to work for a living so I don't have the time to waste on protesting something like this that is not permanent. Listen, if they are going to violate our charter rights in a permanent way, I'll be out there with the rest of them, but it's a few weeks of our lives - I support the Olympics so I don't have an issue.

It's clearly baiting people who are anti-Olympics anyway. I don't hear much outrage except from the granola, hippie people who are prone to protest over EVERYTHING anyways. What I mean to say is, I'm not convinced a lot of the grumbling isn't just simply anti-olympics or if it's a pure, genuine defense of charter rights.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
...It's clearly baiting people who are anti-Olympics anyway. I don't hear much outrage except from the granola, hippie people who are prone to protest over EVERYTHING anyways. What I mean to say is, I'm not convinced a lot of the grumbling isn't just simply anti-olympics or if it's a pure, genuine defense of charter rights.
Sorry to burst your stereotype bubble, but there are plenty of regular folks who are disgusted that our schools are crumbling and kids can't get textbooks, but there are untold millions poured into this bread and circuses spectacle for the rich.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 5:24 AM
Mac User

Quote:
Sorry to burst your stereotype bubble, but there are plenty of regular folks who are disgusted that our schools are crumbling and kids can't get textbooks, but there are untold millions poured into this bread and circuses spectacle for the rich.
The Olympic games have a lot of benefits for many people. A lot of federal and private money has been invested in BC that wouldn't be here if not for the Olympics. The time to complain about the Olympics ended in 2003, you're better off enjoying this once in a lifetime opportunity. After the games are over I bet it will be a very positive experience for BC, but you can judge for your self in March.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 9:17 AM

Quote:
As a public school teacher, don't think I'm not painfully unaware of what conditions I have to work in. But I have delusions to think that the provincial government would have spent any of the money going to the Olympics to the education system.

And not the rich - I'm a public school teacher and I plan on attending some events. Albeit, I don't have dependents but hey, people choose what they spend on.

Some of us would rather just celebrate it than constantly bash something that is inevitable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]