HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:47 AM

Vancouver's large-scale density has generally taken place on low-hanging fruit, politically easy greyfield and brownfield sites, which is pretty standard. But it has led North America in densifying single-family neighbourhoods. It is easily the North American leader in accessory dwelling units and laneway housing. Because of that, Vancouver has more duplex households, by Statscan definitions, than single-family homes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There's a pretty wide buffer between this development and Kits, and in fact, this development is happening in Fairview, an entirely different neighbourhood. No "consultation" required.

I put consultation in quotation marks because consultation is code for "you're going to do everything our way". I hope they are politely asked to talk to the hand.
With a risk of sounding pompous, in a discussion about "consultation" earlier today, I said this:

"consultation" is generally a NIMBY word for "I don't want it here, I will NEVER want it here, you're not representing ME so therefore you're not listening to the majority"

In essence it's rooted in a God complex/dictator fetish

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:41 AM
dazzle me

While it would be pretty sweet if the Squamish did a smaller version of the Walled City of Kowloon, they have to find the right balance to maximize the return. 3,000 units could be right, but one hopes they'll push it up further. From a public policy perspective (if maybe not a financial one), 8,000-10,000 people living in that area, with rich amenities and available commercial space, that would be another pole in Vancouver and would have great knock-on effects. Namely, such a development could well force a vital re-think of the current 1990s era planning approach that dominates the region, break the boomers' vice-grip on maintaining the artificial land shortage, with the result of restoring the pre-planning 'build everywhere' ethos so that rents can get back to tracking incomes. With boomers starting to die off, dam could break if there's a project to rally round, who knows?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
While it would be pretty sweet if the Squamish did a smaller version of the Walled City of Kowloon, they have to find the right balance to maximize the return. 3,000 units could be right, but one hopes they'll push it up further. From a public policy perspective (if maybe not a financial one), 8,000-10,000 people living in that area, with rich amenities and available commercial space, that would be another pole in Vancouver and would have great knock-on effects. Namely, such a development could well force a vital re-think of the current 1990s era planning approach that dominates the region, break the boomers' vice-grip on maintaining the artificial land shortage, with the result of restoring the pre-planning 'build everywhere' ethos so that rents can get back to tracking incomes. With boomers starting to die off, dam could break if there's a project to rally round, who knows?
Not entirely disagreeing, but somehow I don't think that 5-7k more drivers living at the foot of Burrard Bridge is a good idea.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Not entirely disagreeing, but somehow I don't think that 5-7k more drivers living at the foot of Burrard Bridge is a good idea.
Being a driver is a decision, not something one is born as

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
I'm wondering aloud: Could this development end up being mired in tribal politics rather than best Return on Investment decisions? For example, have the Squamish said that they will prioritise housing Squamish Nation residents, then other local Nations, and then open the remaining suites to the general population?

If something like that was to happen - and in a funny way I'd completely understand if that was their preferred choice - then I could imagine the development either a) being a wonderfully warm neighbourhood full of families that look after each other and watch each other's back, unlocked doors and lots of community activity; or b) a complete nightmare with inclusive and exclusive groups, outsiders feeling ostracised, and varying levels of Quality of Life for residents.

Either way, I don't think this development will feel like a typical City of Vancouver development and could very well have a "walled city" feel to it - for better or worse, depending on how smart the planners are about this.

Last edited by djh; Apr 11, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:58 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't think that will be the case, I think they will be treating this as an income stream and will be at market rates bringing in as much funds as possible. How they distribute those funds back to it's members I have no clue. I also expect that they will be teaming with a developer and would be surprised if they go it alone.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I don't think that will be the case, I think they will be treating this as an income stream and will be at market rates bringing in as much funds as possible. How they distribute those funds back to it's members I have no clue. I also expect that they will be teaming with a developer and would be surprised if they go it alone.
The article mentions that they have already chosen a developer partner after putting out an RFP to 16 groups. It's not Aquilini.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
...which tangentially becomes political for the tribal leaders. If the development is managed to make money for the Squamish Nation but there are many homeless, struggling and unsupported tribe members around the city, it looks really bad for the Nation. Critics will complain that the Nation is going for "greed" as opposed to providing social housing or helping its members get themselves on the right track.

A tricky rock-and-hard-place to be wedged in.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_prof View Post
Being a driver is a decision, not something one is born as
5-7k assumes that 21% of those 8-10k new residents will be walking, biking or riding transit (as per Vancouver's existing mode share).

The 2010 plan's fine as is - adding more density on top of it should come in tandem with improved bus service. Otherwise we're putting the cart before the horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
...which tangentially becomes political for the tribal leaders. If the development is managed to make money for the Squamish Nation but there are many homeless, struggling and unsupported tribe members around the city, it looks really bad for the Nation. Critics will complain that the Nation is going for "greed" as opposed to providing social housing or helping its members get themselves on the right track.

A tricky rock-and-hard-place to be wedged in.
I think at most, the Nation'll put aside a third of the units in each building as "tribe members only." Everybody wins.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Yes, exactly. Obviously there are some extreme NIMBYs who want nothing to change, but they don't generally get their way (except in the District of North Van). More often it's people who have legitimate concerns, and sometimes the City makes a developer change a proposal based on those concerns. It's a compromise, often a reasonable one.

Anyways, it's not like Vancouver has particularly strong community opposition to projects compared to many other cities in North America. Clearly the City of Vancouver hasn't been hindered from densifying due to citizen opposition. It's more densely populated than the City of Amsterdam or Copenhagen, let alone other Canadian cities...
Oh trust me, there are Nimbys who get their way. Have you considered the fact that City Councillors, UDP panel folks and many others who influence their decisions are themselves Nimbys too? Adrienne Carr is one bit Nimby.

Clearly you are very wrong about the City of Vancouver not being hindered from densification.

Quote:
Many who choose to live so close to the downtown area would not mind forsaking their cars. Plenty of public transit routes and car share vehicles around. It is also a pleasure to walk across the beautiful Burrard Bridge to get to work. Fearing density around the bridge is highly unfounded.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would think so too. It would be similar to what the First Nations group is doing at the UBC area: a part of the Endowment lands.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I searched and couldn't find a thread on this. I remmeber it was discussed here somewhere a long time ago, but it looks like the Squamish are finally getting ready to move forward. Great to see this will likely be rental, a smart decision that will ensure long-term, stable cash flow for them.

The Squamish Nation plans a massive housing project encompassing as many as 3,000 apartments on prime land next to a Vancouver city park, marking the first large-scale urban development by an Indigenous group in Canada.

The ambitious project next to the Burrard Bridge and Vanier Park on the False Creek waterfront in central Vancouver would occupy the last of their reserve land in the city. It is likely to spark controversy in the tony Kitsilano neighbourhood nearby, where in recent weeks residents have been protesting the development of a couple of low-rise apartment buildings.

Development of so many apartments, which the Squamish are considering restricting to all rental, could help Vancouver alleviate its housing crisis, but the city does not have jurisdiction over the Squamish land.

As a result, the city will have little legal authority over the project, unlike the relationship the city will have with two other Indigenous-led megaprojects in a more long-term roll out. The Jericho lands in the west and Heather lands in central Vancouver are being developed jointly by the federal government and a consortium of the three local First Nations...

....Squamish leaders are favouring the idea of building all rental apartments in the project, he said. That’s not decided, though. The development, which could potentially be almost the same size as the Little Mountain housing site in central Vancouver, would also include commercial spaces, public squares and arts spaces, he said.

Khelselim said the council doesn’t want to name the developer partner yet, but that the company was chosen from five proposals after the nation asked 16 local builders to apply.

He did confirm that the Aquilinis, the powerhouse local family-run developers who have developed strong relationships and built projects for both the Tsleil-waututh and Tsawwassen bands, are not the partners.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...velopment-for/
Is there a space reserved for streetcar in the plans? Just 2 rails wide (about as much as an average residential street) is enough. The 2010 proposal's street bordering the Molson's site could be converted into a future streetcar spur IF the main/parking entrance was located on Pennyfarthing Dr. instead of the new road.

Quote:
Great news. That part of the seawall's been about as useful as kosher bacon.

I wonder if this'll affect the streetcar plan?
Honestly, that's partially why I'm against this plan. If it was possible, it would be better for the FN to get partial management/ownership of Vanier Park (you know, the original Reserve location), but

This (along with the Fir St. sale) basically kills any chance of the streetcar mainline making a detour to Kits. There's simply not enough space.

The Streetcar would have to go under the Granville Bridge/loops, using a ironically more direct route into the South False Creek rail spur.

I still wish the proposal had space reserved for a streetcar, though. A direct stop into these lands would be pretty useful for getting into Vanier Park, would provide transit for the residents, and could be extended onto Cornwall Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There's a pretty wide buffer between this development and Kits, and in fact, this development is happening in Fairview, an entirely different neighbourhood. No "consultation" required.

I put consultation in quotation marks because consultation is code for "you're going to do everything our way". I hope they are politely asked to talk to the hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Vancouver's large-scale density has generally taken place on low-hanging fruit, politically easy greyfield and brownfield sites, which is pretty standard. But it has led North America in densifying single-family neighbourhoods. It is easily the North American leader in accessory dwelling units and laneway housing. Because of that, Vancouver has more duplex households, by Statscan definitions, than single-family homes.
Source? Most of the duplex development is in the suburbs, not Vancouver City proper.

Quote:
This lot is so tight and long, I don't even think getting big is possible. You'd have to fill in the center courtyard site in the 2010 plan.

I think overall the site can fit 3 towers. 2 on the centre courtyard, 1 on the other side, and maybe one straddling the streetcar where the Burrard Trestle bridge used to start.

But even then, I think 10,000 people is very precedent-setting, dense, and possibly a bit too ambitious considering the geometrical limitations of the site. It's denser than a lot of Downtown, that's for sure. If it gets there without turning into the Kolwoon Walled City, I'd support it.

On a side note, is anything going to happen to the Squamish-owned site on the foot of the other bridge (Lions Gate)?:

Hopefully more industrial land? (especially considering how isolated that site is).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:10 PM

Frances Bula is reporting that the development partner is Westbank. Khelsilem (an elected councillor with Squamish Nation Council) says that the City's Director of Transportation has already suggested that the streetcar might service the location.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Frances Bula is reporting that the development partner is Westbank. Khelsilem (an elected councillor with Squamish Nation Council) says that the City's Director of Transportation has already suggested that the streetcar might service the location.
Ugh.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Is there a space reserved for streetcar in the plans? Just 2 rails wide (about as much as an average residential street) is enough. The 2010 proposal's street bordering the Molson's site could be converted into a future streetcar spur IF the main/parking entrance was located on Pennyfarthing Dr. instead of the new road.

Honestly, that's partially why I'm against this plan. If it was possible, it would be better for the FN to get partial management/ownership of Vanier Park (you know, the original Reserve location), but

This (along with the Fir St. sale) basically kills any chance of the streetcar mainline making a detour to Kits. There's simply not enough space.

The Streetcar would have to go under the Granville Bridge/loops, using a ironically more direct route into the South False Creek rail spur.

I still wish the proposal had space reserved for a streetcar, though. A direct stop into these lands would be pretty useful for getting into Vanier Park, would provide transit for the residents, and could be extended onto Cornwall Ave.

Source? Most of the duplex development is in the suburbs, not Vancouver City proper.

This lot is so tight and long, I don't even think getting big is possible. You'd have to fill in the center courtyard site in the 2010 plan.

I think overall the site can fit 3 towers. 2 on the centre courtyard, 1 on the other side, and maybe one straddling the streetcar where the Burrard Trestle bridge used to start.

But even then, I think 10,000 people is very precedent-setting, dense, and possibly a bit too ambitious considering the geometrical limitations of the site. It's denser than a lot of Downtown, that's for sure. If it gets there without turning into the Kolwoon Walled City, I'd support it.

On a side note, is anything going to happen to the Squamish-owned site on the foot of the other bridge (Lions Gate)?:

>snip<
Hopefully more industrial land? (especially considering how isolated that site is).

if the proposed arbutus streetcar line runs under burrard running north from the former cpr row along 6th ave, it can also make use of the designed and planned-for (but never built) streetcar line rail space under the burrard bridge. Crossing over false creek, the line can continue north under burrard to a terminal at the convention center.

having a station at cornwall (one of many along burrard) will serve this redevelopment and the molsons redevelopment, as well as the other existing communities either side of burrard

Last edited by jsbertram; Apr 12, 2019 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 PM

CTV news at noon reported that the project has started/is underway now

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The Census.
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...Text=vancouver

It's because homes with suites are classified, rightfully, as a duplex, as they consist of two attached dwellings.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Awesome piece of news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
CTV news at noon reported that the project has started/is underway now
Without the unnecessary red-tape, see how things fly....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Many who choose to live so close to the downtown area would not mind forsaking their cars. Plenty of public transit routes and car share vehicles around. It is also a pleasure to walk across the beautiful Burrard Bridge to get to work. Fearing density around the bridge is highly unfounded.
Warren, quit hacking Vin's account!

The 2 and 84 aren't always reliable and sometimes crowded - thousands of new residents are going to compound on that; ditto the 44, which also has the disadvantage of being a peak-hour bus that stops after the evening rush; the 50 is mostly for tourists.
As Vin's said often, our high amount of rain and infrequent sunlight often lowers walkability. We all know he'd prefer half a dozen 60+ towers, yes, but even so, let's be practical here.

Quote:

---

Nothing's a done deal yet; even if there's no room to keep the ROW (maybe they could collab with Concord developing Molson next door?), running the streetcar along Pennyfarthing should work out fine... and yes, I know I usually hate mixed-traffic, but SFC is mostly calm, and if done right should stay calm. Either way, it gets them under Burrard and into Vanier and Kits Beach, which is basically the objective of using that spur. Any connection further out to Kitsilano or UBC is kind of icing on the cake.

Agreed. I think the 2010 density (maybe with a few extra floors on the shorter ones) is a good middle ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
if the proposed arbutus streetcar line runs under burrard running north from the former cpr row along 6th ave, it can also make use of the designed and planned-for (but never built) streetcar line rail space under the burrard bridge. Crossing over false creek, the line can continue north under burrard to a terminal at the convention center.

having a station at cornwall (one of many along burrard) will serve this redevelopment and the molsons redevelopment, as well as the other existing communities either side of burrard
(groan) Not this again.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver