HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:17 PM

I gotta say, the activity in downtown Kansas City even since I moved to the area 7 years ago has increased so much. I was strolling downtown with a friend yesterday and enjoyed a nice chat on a rooftop park above Cosentino's. I'm in my 20's and hoping to move downtown in the next couple years.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:19 AM

Loews Hotel update.

credit: kclover

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:13 AM
Posh

Cranes are up for the next pair of towers at the Cerner campus.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:50 PM
Posh

This would be located here. The rendering in the article is a rendering of another project by the same company.

Mixed-use project planned for East Crossroads would be ‘largest’ to date
Quote:
It was the "eclectic mix" of businesses and brands in Kansas City's Crossroads Arts District that inspired developers to plan the purported largest project to-date in the historic neighborhood.

And it's exactly that "eclectic, independent vibe" Milhaus Development hopes to retain while adding a "modern touch."

Milhaus, an Indianapolis-based development firm, is planning about 340 market-rate apartments across multiple four-and five-story buildings along with parking and retail and office space for a two-block plot bounded by 19th Street, Cherry Street, 20th Street and Oak Street. The group plans to redevelop an old warehouse on the site into a restaurant.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:33 PM
Posh

Would be nice to have something taller here, but anyway ...

Proposed Office Project Would ‘Fill Out’ Block Facing Barney Allis Plaza
Quote:

A development agency got an early look last week at a proposed $114 million project that includes renovating two historic buildings and building a combination garage and office building in the heart of downtown.

Platform Ventures plans to seek tax incentives for a redevelopment plan that includes renovating the former Kansas City Club building into a 144-room upscale hotel, converting part of the old Muehlbach Hotel into 117 apartments and building a 360-space garage and 70,000 square-foot office building.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:58 AM
Beer Stampede

Wow!! I kinda forgot what was currently over there. I had to get on Google Earth to check it out. Meh...I'm ok with the proposal. Definitely could use a little height to the project, but what's currently planned will vastly improve that part of the block.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:37 PM

1800 Walnut

New apartment tower proposal for 18th and Walnut. Proposed to be 14-stories tall. Here is the article:

https://cityscenekc.com/looking-up-i...ding-proposed/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 10:03 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ KC is getting some great modern designs. i'm really impressed with this and ARTerra.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 2:55 AM

Hopefully this is the first of many modern designs to fill the parking lots of the crossroads.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 4:29 AM

I've never been to KC, but the Cerner campus grinds my fucking gears. Downtown KC looks like it neeeds some major investment and TLC, why the hell aren't they building down there, instead of the open prairie? Fucking dumb

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 8:26 PM
Beer Stampede

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...213547439.html

With misgivings, KC Council approves tax breaks for Three Light

Quote:
The Kansas City Council approved tax incentives Thursday for developers of the planned Three Light apartment building, but not without continued debate over the city's role in subsidizing luxury highrises downtown while the supply of affordable housing remains scarce.
The measure, which passed by an 8-to-4 vote, gives Cordish Companies, developer of the Power & Light District, a 100 percent property tax abatement for 25 years on the 300-unit building, scheduled for construction beginning in early 2019.
The benefit will be offset in part by payments from Cordish in lieu of taxes to Kansas City Public Schools, libraries and mental health programs — all of which depend on property tax revenue.
But that amount is far less than what would be generated over the next quarter-century if the project were completed without tax breaks. Under the agreement, Cordish's payment will amount to about $8.6 million over 25 years. Were Three Light built without the abatement, city officials estimate that Cordish would be obligated to pay $12.5 million.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 8:44 PM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
I've never been to KC, but the Cerner campus grinds my fucking gears. Downtown KC looks like it neeeds some major investment and TLC, why the hell aren't they building down there, instead of the open prairie? Fucking dumb

Well, to be fair, that "open prairie" was the former site of the Bannister Mall complex in southeast Kansas City. That site is a major shot in the arm for the depressed area around it.

While I'm not sure of the exact reason why, Cerner has several campuses around the area. There's one nearby the Bannister site that took over the former Marion Labs campus, one out in western KCK near the racetrack, and the original campus in North Kansas City just across the Missouri River not far from downtown. Understandably, people are frustrated that Cerner never made any kind of an interest in building downtown. I don't know if their style of building these campuses necessitates more room that can be found downtown. It's possible that Kansas City won't give them tax breaks or some kind of incentive to locate something there. Even some corporate office tower would be nice. But it is what it is. I'm glad they at least chose a spot in an economically depressed area with the shot of remaking that area, rather than jumping the state line into suburban Johnson County in Kansas, or building outside of Kansas City all together. I've accepted it and have moved on from it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:51 PM

Final vote approving the streetcar extension to UMKC/Plaza area happened. Securing financing appears to be the remaining hurdle for the expansion. Will be exciting to see project proposals appear through Midtown once this is green-lighted!

http://kcur.org/post/voters-approve-...ri-kansas-city

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:22 PM

Arterra

When is Arterra expected to be completed? I feel like this has been a fairly quiet project.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:22 PM

Union Berkley Waterfront Apartments

Now open and leasing. Beginning of hopefully more waterfront projects. Would be nice if they are taller and bigger, but like the style! Will be exciting to see the streetcar expand to down there. Here is the article:

https://cityscenekc.com/union-apartm...jects-planned/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 3:18 PM

The Ambassador Hotel expansion is coming together nicely.

Rendering:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 3:22 PM

Hampton Inn Progress

Rendering:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:11 AM

mods please delete

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:17 PM

Is there any residential new development in downtown KC or just hotels and conversions? Sad to see the lack of residential new dev

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
Is there any residential new development in downtown KC or just hotels and conversions? Sad to see the lack of residential new dev
There has been multiple residential developments in downtown recently like...

One and Two Light (Soon to have Three Light)
531 Grand

The the greater downtown area has seen residential development, Especially in the crossroads.

- Arterra
- City Club
- 1800 Walnut

I’m sure there are others

Last edited by Chris Stritzel; Jul 17, 2018 at 2:59 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations