HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post

The proposal has 301CM as a baren wasteland still in 2023. Probably a safe bet!
I like those little skyline fillers around where the Sheraton is between the Capitol and Darth Vader. It's that little extra detail that puts it over the top for me.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I like those little skyline fillers around where the Sheraton is between the Capitol and Darth Vader. It's that little extra detail that puts it over the top for me.
Who knows what that means, it can be a foreshadow for new development there or just an artistic effect.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
Who knows what that means, it can be a foreshadow for new development there or just an artistic effect.
I know it's just an artistic effect. I've done architectural rendering before.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I know it's just an artistic effect. I've done architectural rendering before.
O what renderings have you done dude?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
O what renderings have you done dude?
Mostly academic from undergrad days, but I did a rendered site plan for an office park in Silicon Valley. I've also worked on a project or two around Midtown.

My original point was being snarky about the Kings' rendering.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:59 PM

Has anyone read the bizjournal article today on the Capitol mall redesign by vice mayor Steven Hansen. The title compares it to the Champs-alyssa.
Is this just a new year new plan as always? Or does anyone think we are nearing a redesign of capitol mall?
Any insight would be appreciated since I could not read the article since I have not renewed my subscription lol

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:41 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

A lot of construction on the horizon

There appears to be a lot of construction on Sacramento’s horizon with a good shot of being constructed.

#1 $1.2 billion State Capitol Annex replacement. (Curious to see whether the historic eastern Capitol facade is restored and exposed in such a way that it is again visible from Capitol Park)

#2 $100 million Native American History Museum on the West Sacramento Waterfront. (Glad to see that the state is helping to make this a reality. It will be a very large attraction across the river from the Powerhouse Science Center).

#3. $50 million Powerhouse Science Center finally looks like it’s going to become a reality with the recent groundbreaking.

#4 $460 million Sacramento County Courthouse replacement. (Personally I like the clean design. It’s not what I would define as a skyscraper but will definitely help enliven that area near the Federal Courthouse with more pedestrian activity and help jumpstart construction in the rail yard.

#5 $520.4 million 20 story state office building at 8th and O streets. (Again, not really a “skyscraper” so much as a skyscratcher but it will also help increase pedestrian activity and preserve the historic Heilbron House. It’s a state design so we’ll have to see what the finished product ends up looking like......)

#6 11 story state office building at 1215 O Street. (It will provide space for 1,150 employees)

#7 $240 million Sacramento Convention Center Renovation/Expansion

#8. $100 million Community Center Theater and Memorial Auditorium Renovation.

So these are the projections that are mostly funded and truly in the pipeline....

We still don’t know whether or not we will ever see the long proposed Hyatt Centric Hotel at the historic Marshall Hotel; the proposed 14 story Yamanee (that’s being unnecessarily delayed by firvolous legal action); an MLS soccer stadium in the rail yard or the long delayed CalPERS/CIM 300 Capital Mall project (which I doubt that I will see in my lifetime. )

In any case, there’s no doubt that there are a lot of large scale exciting projects on the immediate horizon that will keep Sacramento’s central core buzzing with construction activity. The only unknown is whether tariffs on steel imports will cause the costs of construction to increase, to be delayed or cancelled outright.

If anyone has anything else to add please feel free.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:35 AM

The Hyatt Centric hotel seems pretty much a go. All the old tenants have been moved out and they've said work will begin this summer.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:27 PM

The lot on Broadway and 3rd st is now dirt. I believe this is the location of the building that will have the big letters of "BROADWAY" on the roof . Any one know of any details?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:49 PM

The new 20 story convention center hotel being proposed by the Mayor.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Was there supposed to be a link or image with your post?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
The Hyatt Centric hotel seems pretty much a go. All the old tenants have been moved out and they've said work will begin this summer.
"This summer", ?. Its summer right now and there is no construction activity.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
"This summer", ?. Its summer right now and there is no construction activity.
It's the beginning of summer. They didn't specify when. I guess they should have consulted with you first before making the statement.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Not heard of this. The hotels are trying to create an assessment district so that bonds can be issued for the reconstruction and expansion of the Convention Center and Community Center Theater. If all goes well they could start as early as late this year.

Maybe the mayor suggested we need more hotel rooms but that doesn't mean anything.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:24 PM

What do you mean "not heard of this"? we posted this several times.
Proposed hotel site at 15 and K.

http://livinginurbansac.blogspot.com...expansion.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "not heard of this"? we posted this several times.
Proposed hotel site at 15 and K.

http://livinginurbansac.blogspot.com...expansion.html
I have not heard of this. I apologize for not following every post of the royal “we” This was posted at the end of last year and I was super busy. Still maybe you can explain to me how the city is going to get from proposal to reality when the costs of renovation have escalated so much? Does that cost include subsidizing the construction of this hotel because nothing that I’ve read in the last two weeks have mentioned the hotel.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I have not heard of this. I apologize for not following every post of the royal “we” This was posted at the end of last year and I was super busy. Still maybe you can explain to me how the city is going to get from proposal to reality when the costs of renovation have escalated so much? Does that cost include subsidizing the construction of this hotel because nothing that I’ve read in the last two weeks have mentioned the hotel.
The proposal states that the new hotel will be around 300 feet tall and will have around 350 hotel rooms.

As for the design and the brand of the hotel, that is undetermined and probably won't be known for a while until a formal application for this new hotel happens.

As for the construction of this proposed hotel, I can't really see it happen anymore. The rising costs of the convention center and the lack of talk about it probably means that the hotel won't be funded with the expansion and/or was probably scrapped. While hotel demand is really high right now, I don't think Sacramento will see many hotels built other than the Hyatt Centric and small hotels around Natomas like Home2Suites.

The only reason or way I can really see the hotel being built is if Sacramento gets the NBA All Star Bid for 2022/23.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb90 View Post
The lot on Broadway and 3rd st is now dirt. I believe this is the location of the building that will have the big letters of "BROADWAY" on the roof . Any one know of any details?
SKK is building 59 new apartments on that site, the BROADWAY sign proposal has been scrapped. According to Redefining the Core Broadway Edition, construction will begin by the end of the year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The proposal states that the new hotel will be around 300 feet tall and will have around 350 hotel rooms.

As for the design and the brand of the hotel, that is undetermined and probably won't be known for a while until a formal application for this new hotel happens

The only reason or way I can really see the hotel being built is if Sacramento gets the NBA All Star Bid for 2022/23.
It’s going to take more than 350 rooms to sway the NBA to bring the NBA ASG here. Frankly, we need like 3000 rooms in the urban core, and a big chunk of those hotel rooms would need to be from a JW Marriot, Ritz Carton, etc

I don’t know to believe anymore. Projects get proposed and nothing comes of it or delayed for several years. The one project that I am absolutely stunned and impressed with is 19J. By city standards, construction started quickly. If sales go well, I wonder if she will go bolder and built downtown somewhere in the 12-15 story range.

Last edited by Pistola916; Jun 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:11 PM

All the government projects in the pipeline are great but what I really want to see is a lot more housing built downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area