HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
While I don't have comprehensive statistics, this seems to be a relatively common occurrence here. Not sure of the basic issue, but certainly has something to do with YOW becoming the first (southern) Canadian airport to grove the runways.

I was on this flight in 2004: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...8/a04o0188.asp

Quote from report:

Runway 25 is the one where the landing approach is from the east.. so basically driving straight west on the runway... I had a window and remember blasting across the intersections of the runways thinking... uh... this is not good.

In the end the worst part was sitting on the plane for 1 1/2 hours waiting for an OCTranspo bus to show up to haul us to the terminal
Was that really US Airways Express? Or United Express?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Was that really US Airways Express? Or United Express?
It was actually Trans State Airlines which flies as a feeder for both United and US Airways: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_States_Airlines)

Same plane (Embraer 145) in all 3 incidents... didn't notice as I skimmed through but it was mentioned in Rocketphish's original posting..

Quote:
The exact amount of damage to the Embraer 145 jet in the September 2011 incident wasn’t specified, although that plane’s landing gear collapsed and it suffered damage to a wing causing a fuel leak after leaving runway 14/32. Trans States Airlines and its insurer allege $6.5 million in damages for repairs to the airplane and other costs. It was the third time a Trans States Airlines Embraer 145 had left an Ottawa runway — another jet had overrun a runway in 2004.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:
...Same plane (Embraer 145) in all 3 incidents...
Most of the Trans States Airlines' Embraer ERJ145 aircraft are not equipped with reverse thrusters. Therefore every time they land they must rely solely on the brakes. This is fine in normal weather conditions but when the runway is soaked after a heavy rainstorm it can become problematic. It's not a coincidence that all three overruns have been on this type of aircraft operated by Trans States.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Why are they blaming the runway? You can't assume that every airport you fly into is going to have a grooved strip. It seems to me to be a poorly designed aircraft if the Embraer ERJ145 can land safely on a wet surface.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:17 PM

From the Ottawa Airport's website:

Quote:
Ottawa Airport Launches the FlyCANADA Mobile App

31 Oct 2014

The Ottawa International Airport Authority is excited to announce that it has launched a new customer facilitation mobile app. FlyCanada, which is available on the App Store and Google Play, features the information and tools that will make the travel experience simple and enjoyable for all airport customers.

FlyCANADA provides users with an up-to-date list of arriving and departing flights, as well as gate information and status updates. Passengers can also add a flight to “MyFlights” to get push notifications with updates or changes to their flight status.

Parking information and rates, a link to the secure parking reservation system, and even a place to store parking details to help passengers remember where they’ve parked are just a few of the other features. The app also has terminal maps, a restaurant and store directory, transportation options, and contact numbers.

Airport Authority President and CEO, Mark Laroche, commented that “this app is about providing a better customer experience by keeping our passengers informed and more prepared. If something is happening that affects flight schedules or the airport, we will tell our app users about it through push notifications.”

The app will continue to evolve in the months to come, with new features and enhancements. And, we welcome other Canadian airports and airport partners to join the app so that passengers travelling across Canada can access all their airport information in one place, conveniently at FlyCANADA. For more information, and links to download the app, visit FlyCanadaApp.ca.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

From the FlyCANADA website:

Quote:
Features

Local Transit Options

"Find out when the next city bus arrives, book a limousine, pick up a rental car or take an approved, licensed airport taxi to get you to your final destination."

What, no UBER integration?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 1:54 PM

You'd think they'd have a BlackBerry app since it's the device that's used by Parliament staffers, public servants and parliamentarians and the government is our biggest employer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
You'd think they'd have a BlackBerry app since it's the device that's used by Parliament staffers, public servants and parliamentarians and the government is our biggest employer.
Smartphones running on the iOS and Android platforms have a total combined market share of approximately 96.4% according to http://www.pcworld.com/article/24650...one-share.html.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
Smartphones running on the iOS and Android platforms have a total combined market share of approximately 96.4% according to http://www.pcworld.com/article/24650...one-share.html.
Doesn't work on my Android (Galaxy S2)... says "too old"

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Doesn't work on my Android (Galaxy S2)... says "too old"
According to Wikipedia, your phone should support up to Android 4.1 so if the app itself supports 4.1 and you haven't yet updated, you'll be able to get the app once you've updated your OS.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
Global smartphone stats are great, but you're talking about an airport that serves a market where the largest employer is the government. I'm sure BlackBerry has a larger market share in Ottawa percentage wise than it does globally.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:21 PM

My knowledge of federal government IT practices might not be up to snuff, but I know House of Commons only allows approved apps anyways.

Wouldn't most people carry a second phone for apps and personal activities anyways?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Wouldn't most people carry a second phone for apps and personal activities anyways?
True story! Many of us carry two Blackberries!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:16 AM
Closed account

If it's a BB10 phone, there's a reasonably good chance it can run the Android version of the app.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:30 AM

It's widely accepted in the development community that android and iOS are the only two worthwhile platforms to develop for. And I'm sure the airport hired a contractor to do the development work, most contractors wouldn't bother offering BB development services. Besides, likely the airport conducted surveys of travellers to determine which platforms to support.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 2:12 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Air Canada has augmented the seasonal (winter) service from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale to year-round.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=838

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Air Canada has augmented the seasonal (winter) service from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale to year-round.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=838
I meant to post this the other day - Thanks AC888YOW!

Flights will be twice weekly with the E-90 aircraft. The flight is daily during the winter with a mix of E-90 and A319 aircraft.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:48 PM

I wonder if the opening of the UPX in Toronto will negatively affect YOW's numbers. With UPX providing a fast efficient link between Pearson and Union, taking the train to Toronto for an overseas flight is now that much more appealing than it was before... I doubt we'll see people doing this in droves, but I do wonder if it might result in a small but noticeable drop in demand at YOW.

I do have one personal anecdote about this that I can think of now.. by brother-in-law was travelling to Ottawa from Scotland. He booked a flight to YYZ because he found a really good deal, and he was deciding whether to book a flight from there to Ottawa, or take the train, and because of the prospect of having to cab or TTC across Toronto he chose YOW. But when I asked him, he said he would have chosen the train if UPX was available.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I wonder if the opening of the UPX in Toronto will negatively affect YOW's numbers. With UPX providing a fast efficient link between Pearson and Union, taking the train to Toronto for an overseas flight is now that much more appealing than it was before... I doubt we'll see people doing this in droves, but I do wonder if it might result in a small but noticeable drop in demand at YOW.
Hmm Interesting idea but I doubt it. Montreal is for sure a drain especially if you count the KLM Air France bus, but I can't see Toronto stealing much traffic. It would cost close to $200 and probably and extra 5-6 hours to do the train UPX for a Toronto flight.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Hmm Interesting idea but I doubt it. Montreal is for sure a drain especially if you count the KLM Air France bus, but I can't see Toronto stealing much traffic. It would cost close to $200 and probably and extra 5-6 hours to do the train UPX for a Toronto flight.
It would certainly take more time, but given that Ottawa-Toronto train tickets are significantly cheaper than Ottawa-Toronto flights, I imagine it would save money to take the train & UPX... unless airlines don't charge extra for the Ottawa-Toronto portion? I know for Kingston-Toronto flights they definitely do (adding a YYZ-YGK leg to any flight adds about $500 to the fare.. hence why everybody in Kingston just goes straight to YYZ and never bothers flying out of YGK).

For time, Ottawa-Toronto trains vary from 3h45 to about 4h45 depending on which train you take so travel time itself is about 2-3h longer. The time required to take the UPX is cancelled out by the fact that you can get to the train station a lot later (~15min before departure as opposed to an hour or more), so it adds about 2-3 hours.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation