HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:28 AM

If only Cafe de Coral, a Hong Kong-based fast food chain (opposite of the terrible and unhealthy quality of American fast food chains), would set up here. It is utterly AMAZING.....from hot pots, to steaks, and so much more. And yes, this is Hong Kong fast food. Nothing costs more than CAD$12.00, the average price is about CAD$7.00.

It always cracks me up when Hong Kongers bundle up when it goes down to 16 degrees C....people look at me when all I'm wearing is a t-shirt.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:33 AM

all my best/worst hong kong stories take place in OK Corral. I love how in the busy ones, people stand behind you to wait for your seat. They will literally wait all meal until you're done.

but i think we are spoiled. even if the cooking at some restaurants are not the best, the ingredients tend to be quite fresh and have a great natural flavour to them.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:14 AM

Regarding the Mexican food conversation, if you think that Mexican food is just gooey cheese and beans and sauces, then that is proof you haven't experienced the full range of Mexican food. It can be much more than that . . . much more.

With that in mind, I ate at Zocalo's at 2515 Main just tonight after seeing it a few weeks back. http://www.zocalorestaurant.ca/

I was really impressed. It was slow tonight so I can't really judge service. Our server was great, and the drinks and food all were great. But I can't speak to how it would be on a busy, full night.

But based on our impression tonight, we'll definitely go back. I hate a salad of grilled vegetables (corn, squash, and prickly pear / paddle cactus) with a small bit of cheese and an agave based dressing. Then a Pork dish cooked in a mole-like sause with soft tortillas. My partner had chicken tacquitos with a little green salad and fresh avocado-based sauce. All were quite decent, reminded us of some of the little modern Mexican places we've been to on the east coast of the US.

There were several other dished I'd like to try, including some seafood dishes. Prices were reasonable, and the atmosphere was cool. They have live music most nights, but nothing this evening.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
If only Cafe de Coral, a Hong Kong-based fast food chain (opposite of the terrible and unhealthy quality of American fast food chains), would set up here. It is utterly AMAZING.....from hot pots, to steaks, and so much more. And yes, this is Hong Kong fast food. Nothing costs more than CAD$12.00, the average price is about CAD$7.00.

It always cracks me up when Hong Kongers bundle up when it goes down to 16 degrees C....people look at me when all I'm wearing is a t-shirt.
Thanks for the pictures. I just finished my dinner but now I am hungry again.
yummy yam me!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:55 AM

where is Cafe de Coral

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 4:03 AM

my friend made me mexican food - tacos - nothing like the tacos one would imagine - they were quite good - not very spicy or saucy at all - quite tasty though

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 4:05 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skook View Post
La Taqueria on Hastings near Victory Square (old nuba location). And yes, it's good.
I went there twice when I was back and I liked it a lot. I'm not sure if the family that runs it is Mexican though. I think they're Honduran.

I've noticed that whenever I'm back in Vancouver there are more and more Latin Americans on the streets of Vancouver, and they're not just students. Hopefully, with this emerging Latin American population, comes more decent Mexican restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
where is Cafe de Coral
Hong Kong.

They have like 120 locations in HK, including one 24/7 restaurant at the airport.

It's fast food, but it's remotely healthy compared to things like McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Time, and *gasp* KFC which make you feel sick and bloated after eating it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Well, I have a couple of sets of friends from California--LA, San Diego, and San Francisco--and none of them has been able to find a decent Mexican food place in Vancouver. Any suggestions?
Don Guacamole's on Robson is quite good. Compares favorably to some of the places I used to frequent when I lived in Dallas.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skook View Post
La Taqueria on Hastings near Victory Square (old nuba location). And yes, it's good.
I guess we also need to distinguish between a true authentic taqueria and what i would call "Vancouverized" Mexican. Me & Julio is great food, but it is "vancouverized" as are some of the other places. All are good, but not really authentic.

In terms of authentic, like you would find in a town (as opposed to resort) in Mexico. I have heard that La Taqueria (above) is good but haven’t tried. Tacos Mexico Rico on Pender/Hamilton does great enchiladas and soft pork tacos. I have also heard/read that Dona Cata at Victoria/34th is the best taqueria in the city. Also, El Bario at Hastings/Nanaimo is a good in between - perfect enchiladas and had a pulled beef dish that was fantastic.

But we do sadly lack the number of great authentic Mexican places that you find in every town, big or small in the US. Even in the old part of Bellingham there is a place call Casa Que Pasa, that does the craziest potato burrito for under $5 and will fill you for a day.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
I guess we also need to distinguish between a true authentic taqueria and what i would call "Vancouverized" Mexican. Me & Julio is great food, but it is "vancouverized" as are some of the other places. All are good, but not really authentic.

In terms of authentic, like you would find in a town (as opposed to resort) in Mexico. I have heard that La Taqueria (above) is good but haven’t tried. Tacos Mexico Rico on Pender/Hamilton does great enchiladas and soft pork tacos. I have also heard/read that Dona Cata at Victoria/34th is the best taqueria in the city. Also, El Bario at Hastings/Nanaimo is a good in between - perfect enchiladas and had a pulled beef dish that was fantastic.

But we do sadly lack the number of great authentic Mexican places that you find in every town, big or small in the US. Even in the old part of Bellingham there is a place call Casa Que Pasa, that does the craziest potato burrito for under $5 and will fill you for a day.
I read an article about the taco place on hastings - they said it was two mexicans or latin americans giving a "mexican taco" a Vancouver twist and vancouverizing it basically - so one cannot expect an authentic mexican taco there but thats what happens here and the place is owned by latin americans but the chef and the one who did the menu is asian so its not even mexicans making the menu

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:12 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:15 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post

To be really delicate about this and to try not to step on any toes, the only reason anyone thinks Las Margaritas or La Taqueria is 'good Mexican food' is because they haven't had good Mexican food. It's good FOOD, don't get me wrong, tasty and filling, but it's like saying that string cheese is good mozzarella because you haven't ever had real mozzarella fior di latte. String cheese is great but it's not mozzarella.

Red Burrito is such shit it's hard to believe it's passed off as food.

I'm excited to hear about Tacos Mexico Rico and Dona Cata as I've never been to either and am constantly searching for quality Mexican food in this city. The most authentically Mexican place I've found in this city is Los Dos Amigos on Knight and. . .33rd? 34th? 43rd? It's a hole-in-the-wall Mexican grocery store that stocks everything that someone needs - including fresh Oaxaca cheese - to make great Mexican dishes.

Sorry to hijack the Chinese thread! Does this deserve it's own? I'd certainly love to find some good quality Mexican in town and compare notes. . .it's what I miss most while being in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:04 AM

Im not sure what people are expecting from authentic Mexican food, there is a reason its the second most obese country in the world. Mexico has some tasty dishes like any other place but most of the country the variety and quality is generally lacking and consists of mostly corn, bread, beans, meat and fruit while the middle class in the larger cities eats more Americanized foods.

Ohhhh and Oaxaca cheese I miss that stuff, at 90 pesos a kilo I always ate loads of that stuff.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:07 AM

Quote:
my mexican friend said there are two good mexican places here one is on robson
Don Guacamole's on Robson is quite good. Compares favorably to some of the places I used to frequent when I lived in Dallas.
My guess is don guacamole's. The unfortunate name seems straight from an adam sandler film, but the food there is pretty good and seems closest to mexican food, but i agree this is an area lacking in vancouver, compared to say, LA, compared to our regional dominance in asian food.

WRT to Lin's i'm not sure it is the 'world's best' but is very, very good. The prices are quite reasonable and it is several notches above 'canadian-chinese' restaurants. You can get more formal and interesting dishes in richmond, but unfortunately if you don't speak/read chinese you are limited there.

If anything with Lin's and a lot of the existing/emerging food scene it is very competitive and truly accessible price-wise and vibe-wise (i hope that makes sense). e.g. if lin's is busy, you can go to bin 942 next door.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 8:31 AM
Cheers!

Lin's is the best Chinese food restaurant I've been to. You might find the odd dish done a little better somewhere else, but overall they're my favourite.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
lots of people seem to say vij's is the world's best indian restaurant, so why not?
Not even close. The average Indian restaurant in London is ten times better at least in my book.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
The average Indian restaurant in London is ten times better at least in my book.
Oh God don't get me started on that Balki garbage that passes for Indian food in London.

Some cretin tried selling that here about a dozen years ago he never lasted 6 months.

I do agree that Vij's is pap for the masses.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining