HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:49 PM

CAMDEN, NJ | Riverfront Trade Center | Four towers | 22 & 18 flrs

Title: Riverfront Trade Center
Project: Office, retail & green space
Architect: ??
Developer: Waterfront Renaissance Associates
Neighborhood: Cooper Point
City: Camden, NJ
Floors: 22 & 18 floors
Height: ??

The Greater Philadelphia World Trade Center is going to look at developing a 2.3-million-square-foot campus on 16 acres at the former Riverfront State Prison in Camden, N.J.

The project would have four phases and would be built by Waterfront Renaissance Associates, which said in a statement that it's already spent several years studying the site and the city, and has brought in a design and development team to create a concept.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...er-prison.html

Last edited by summersm343; Nov 18, 2016 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:07 PM

That design is simply coyote ugly.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:49 PM

It's Camden. We'll take anything we can get there for a while

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 12:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It's Camden. We'll take anything we can get there for a while
Yea anything is better then nothing. We need more of this in Newark, NJ. Anyways, there going to have a amazing view of Center City from those offices.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 11:59 AM

I am skeptical of this project because the group does not have a proven track record. The idea is nice, the location is great for need development. The design sucks, but as mentioned, its Camden. A project like this regardless of how eye-pleasing, could be good for the city.

*Off topic, Camden's last supermarket is closing. A city with no supermarkets? Weird.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:44 PM

Well here's to hoping that it does gather some steam and actually works out. The only things keeping downtown Camden relevant right now is Rutgers University campus (and a lesser extent Camden County College, and Rowan University both based in only one building.), and Cooper hospital's campus. The rest of downtown camden is scattered row homes, and giant parking lots. Maybe one day with some smart planning it will become a success story, or Rutgers will just buy the whole city and make a huge campus haha

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Pure Philly View Post
Well here's to hoping that it does gather some steam and actually works out. The only things keeping downtown Camden relevant right now is Rutgers University campus (and a lesser extent Camden County College, and Rowan University both based in only one building.), and Cooper hospital's campus. The rest of downtown camden is scattered row homes, and giant parking lots. Maybe one day with some smart planning it will become a success story, or Rutgers will just buy the whole city and make a huge campus haha
Cooper has done a very good job with the expansion of their hospital campus, imo.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I'm a student of Rutgers over in Newark currently, and they want to get rid of there Camden campus. Consolidate it just to New Brunswick and Newark-UMDNJ (recent merger). Its for the best as that's the one campus that is not, well, so popular to say. But this is a positive for Camden.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Cooper has done a very good job with the expansion of their hospital campus, imo.

They definitely have, their campus looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm a student of Rutgers over in Newark currently, and they want to get rid of there Camden campus. Consolidate it just to New Brunswick and Newark-UMDNJ (recent merger). Its for the best as that's the one campus that is not, well, so popular to say. But this is a positive for Camden.

I don't foresee the Camden campus going anywhere anytime soon. I'm a student there now, their admittance numbers are almost at all time highs. They are also spending a lot of money renovating older buildings on campus, and also just completed a Grad school high-rise dorm recently. You may be confused with the state wanting to combine Rutgers Camden into Rowan. That was shot down last year though.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 2:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
They definitely have, their campus looks great.

I don't foresee the Camden campus going anywhere anytime soon. I'm a student there now, their admittance numbers are almost at all time highs. They are also spending a lot of money renovating older buildings on campus, and also just completed a Grad school high-rise dorm recently. You may be confused with the state wanting to combine Rutgers Camden into Rowan. That was shot down last year though.
I think that was what it might of been. The Camden-Rowan deal. Hmm interesting. I have noticed the admittance numbers being higher. A friend who goes to NJIT next door said the school expanded in terms of students. They just built the Greek style dorms there. I have noticed there defiantly seems to be more pedestrian traffic. And not because its the beginning of semester. Its very busy even for the month of September . Lots of new faces.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 12:51 PM

This may be a bit nitpicky but Camden is a historic/established city in its own right. Also, I think most people on here know here Camden, NJ is so why not just title the thread “Camden, NJ”? The place is known as one of the murder capitals of the country so I think it’s only fair that what little positive press it does get, is fairly attributed to it. For example, if we were posting a murder rate article, no one from our side of the river would want that titled ,”Philadelphia….”

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:36 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

So far that development group has been all hot air, unfortunately. And who knows if they even could get financing for something that seems like a speculative office development.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post

That design is simply coyote ugly.
I'm with ya, christof. Not a bad location but an eyesore esp. with its promenance.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 12:33 AM

Posted by PhillyDrew in the Philadelphia Metro Development Thread; and RFP has been issued for this site:

http://www.njeda.com/Press-Room/News...DEVELOPMENT-OF

http://www.njeda.com/pdfs/rfps/061/061_EXHIBIT-F.aspx

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:20 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I'm confused as to why this thread was not combined with the Philly metro thread, along with the other projects in Camden.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive