HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I guess Charlotte and OKC might be similiar.

Hopefully OKC will grow its in-town neighborhoods along the grid streets as well as downtown keeps expanding. Not to go city vs city but Charlotte like Atlanta and some other southern cities seems to get real sparse and suburban quickly once one leaves the city core
It's the same with Oklahoma City. On the fringe of downtown there is a lot of room for infill, which is a nice way of saying there are a lot of grass lots from torn down buildings.

One good thing about our urban revival is that we do kind of have nodes of density/urbanity to work with and connect that are scattered throughout the north side of the city. I was going to explain in more detail these "nodes" and how they are developing, but suffice to say that they are generally developing in a manner that is denser and more mixed-use than traditional OKC.

Also, at 7 PM today we will know if voters have approved a 6 mile modern streetcar system to link and encourage transit-oriented growth in these urban nodes!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:42 PM
them bones

If the secant piles currently being drilled are for the tower footprint (and not say an adjacent low building or parking garage), that be construction!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Once photos are posted proving construction has started, then this thread will be moved to Highrise Construction.
Why hasn't this happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
If the secant piles currently being drilled are for the tower footprint (and not say an adjacent low building or parking garage), that be construction!
I think so, but don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
Devon is also removing the earth berms around Myriad Gardens to make that park adjacent to their tower more accessible/transparent for pedestrians, part of $17 million they are spending on a much larger renovation of that 20-acre park,
It's more like $30 on the Myriad Gardens revamp, and it's a lot more than removing the berms. It's a massive, much needed overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
Anyway, back to Devon. I think flickr changed some settings. I couldn't copy the URL for my image anymore, which is why it's a link now. Anyone know what the deal is there? Did they just not want people using external links?
Flickr has no problem with you linking images. Above the image, click on "all sizes" and then get the url for the size you want.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 7:18 PM

OK. . . looks like it's either under construction or inevitably will be so I'm moving this to the U/C forum. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 8:43 PM

Thanks Tom!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ex Houstonian

Sweet, never thought Id actually see this one rise above the ground, I will def have to drive out there in a year or so to see its construction in full swing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 8:39 PM

Here is an image from OKCTalk's webcam from this afternoon, the garage construction looks like it's going really fast. They are adding 5 floors, plus adding retail space and expanding one side of the garage horizontally.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 9:34 PM
Hopeful Graduate

I am so glad to see this thing finally u/c!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 10:32 PM

A reliable source told me that the tower will start coming out of the ground on Jan. 1 and go up about 4 floors a week.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
Robotic Construction

4 floors a week is an incredible pace! I would be surprised if they can achieve that rate. But you say it's a reliable source, so we shall see. It would most certainly have to be steel frame construction, as I don't think concrete would cure enough in 1 week, to support 3 or 4 floors of weight from above it. Is it known if it will be steel frame or concrete construction?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 12:57 AM

I don't know the answer to that for sure, but I think steel.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 8:14 PM

I took some pictures of the west side and I am going to post them in a bit

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 9:00 PM

i cant describe how excited i am to hav this one under construction

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:07 PM

The forumer madmonk at okctalk.com made this time lapse of garage construction over a one-day period on December 5! Kind of cool. The garage is getting really massive now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9oU...layer_embedded

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 6:02 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well, I went back home to Houston for Christmas and thought Id go 5 hours out of my way to see OKC since Ive never been there and to see this towers construction and damn, I am very impressed with OKC. Compared with other cities in the region, Tulsa, Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, and Ft Worth, Id take OKC any day of the week. It was very clean and not a lot of hobos, in fact I didnt see any and Bricktown was amazing. Anyways, these are photos from last night while passing through.

I couldnt believe how massive in scope this project is, incredible. Hopefully Ill come back through in about a year or so to see its progress.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 6:45 AM

Thanks for coming to visit- glad you liked it and please come back to take more pictures! Those look great!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:16 PM

You can check out the Lego version of the tower at the bottom of this thread on OKCTalk. Quite a few other towers were done as well.

OKCTalk - OKCityScape - Legos

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:48 PM

A record 14" of snow yesterday in OKC... and all the while 60 mile per hour winds were blowing it everywhere! All highways in the metro area were closed!

And the workers at Devon got a break...

image from okctalk.com and http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 7:23 PM

Great shots, glad you had a favorable opinion of Oklahoma City, When I was living in Wichita falls TX we went up there every weekend, it’s a great city. Cant wait to see this baby starting going up. Its my most anticipated project in the states.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 9:09 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
A record 14" of snow yesterday in OKC... and all the while 60 mile per hour winds were blowing it everywhere! All highways in the metro area were closed!

And the workers at Devon got a break...

image from okctalk.com and http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/
If that crane wasn't there, I wouldve guessed that this picture was taken sometime in the 1930's during the Dust Bowl.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive