HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:16 AM

Whitecaps currently competing in Nutralite Canadian Soccer Championship

Here's a trivia question for you: what is the largest attendance to witness a soccer game in Canada this year (i.e., since January 1st, 2009) and who played whom?

For the answer, here's a link: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...os-impact.html. Check out the video provided at the link.

This year's version of the Nutralife Canadian Soccer Championship is halfway complete, with Toronto FC leading after 2 games played. The Whitecaps are second after having defeated the Impact in Montreal this evening, 2-0. http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/vie...?Press_ID=3638 The Impact bring up the rear with zero points after losses to Vancouver and Toronto.

The winner of the 3-team round robin tournament will earn Canada's guaranteed berth in the group phase of the CONCACAF Champions' League (similar in structure to the European Champions' League tournament). The Impact won the competition last year, finished in the top two in their group during the Champions' League and hosted Santos Laguna (one of Mexico's top clubs) in the quarter-finals at Olympic Stadium in Montreal in late February. In front of more than 55,000 fans, the Impact defeated Santos Laguna 2-0 in the first leg only to give lost 5-2 in Mexico on the return leg to fail to reach the semi-finals. If the Whitecaps end up winning their first Nutralife Championship, they could very well replicate Montreal's success and host a February quarter-final match in front of (hopefully) a full house at BC Place stadium. (When do the Olympics end?)

Anyway, Vancouver has yet to play its home games against Montreal (May 27th) and Toronto (June 2nd). If they win both, they'll be sitting pretty and all it would take would be a Montreal tie against Toronto to hand the Whitecaps their first ever Nutralife Championship and a spot in the CONCACAF champions league.

Here are some links of interest:

Voyageurs' website-put together by Canadian Soccer enthusiasts:
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum...sp?FORUM_ID=21

The Canadian Soccer Association website:
http://www.canadasoccer.com/home.asp?lang=en

The CONCACAF Champions' League website:
http://www.concacaf.com/competitions...gue/index.aspx

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 3:22 AM

Quick Update...

Vancouver defeated Montreal last week, 1-0, and are facing Toronto FC at home this evening. Right now the game is at half-time, with the 'Caps leading 1-0.

If they hold on, Vancouver would be leading the championship with a 3-1 record and have zero games left. Toronto would sport a 2-1 record with an away game left to play in Montreal. Montreal has no chance to win the tournament, while Vancouver would win it (assuming they hang on to defeat Toronto tonight) with either a Toronto loss or tie to Montreal on June 18. Remember that the champion of the tournament goes on to face the best club teams in North and Central America and Caribbean in the CONCACAF Champions League tournament, which begins later this summer.

Go 'Caps!!

Last edited by mrjauk; Jun 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM. Reason: missed some words the first time around

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:10 AM
Yellow Fever

White Caps is winning 2-0 right now. Toure scored both goals.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:24 AM
Yellow Fever

Its over! 2-0 is the final score.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:52 AM
Hello World

Yes ! Time to rub it in my TFC-supporter friend tomorrow ! I told him the TFC sucked when they lost to Houston 3-0

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:05 AM
Dérive-r

Great news.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:57 AM

Well, with the 2-0 Vancouver victory, the standing look like this:

W-L-T Points GF GA GD
Vancouver 3 1 0 9 5 1 +4
Toronto 2 1 0 6 2 2 0
Montreal 0 3 0 0 0 4 -4

So, in order for Vancouver not to advance to the CONCACAF champions league (and assuming I have the tie-breaking procedure correct), Toronto will have to defeat Montreal by 4 goals. Given that they've only scored 2 through the first 3 games and they're also not setting the house ablaze goal-scoring-wise in the MLS, I think that Vancouver will be hosting the best club sides North America has to offer later this summer and fall!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 7:23 AM

Was at the game tonight and the atmosphere was incredible! Vancouver proved once again it is an extremely strong soccer market. If they ever build that waterfront stadium, that place will be the soccer mecca of Canada.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:18 PM

I couldn't attend the game, as I'm outta town, but I watched the entire thing on TV. (First WC game I've ever watched the full 90 mins of on TV). The caps played well and deserved the win, but I thought TFC played pretty well too and the Caps were lucky to get away with a 2 goal win.

I'm looking forward to some champions league games... maybe even in the dome? I know the Impact played their CL games in Olympic Stadium last year so maybe we will play ours at BC Place.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 5:19 PM
Hello World

I'm curious whether it is possible to build a SSS beside the Plaza of Nations. I mean, that's a huge parking lot there right across the street from GM Place. With a little bit of land filling, they can definitely build a stadium there and we can move on to underground parking to conserve space. That way, the Stadium skytrain station will be the ultimate station where you can go to just about every major stadiums in our region What do you guys think ?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 1:07 AM

socker stadium where he creekside park extension is supposed to be, partially over the false creek flats?

Or that completely unrealistic?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I couldn't attend the game, as I'm outta town, but I watched the entire thing on TV. (First WC game I've ever watched the full 90 mins of on TV). The caps played well and deserved the win, but I thought TFC played pretty well too and the Caps were lucky to get away with a 2 goal win.

I'm looking forward to some champions league games... maybe even in the dome? I know the Impact played their CL games in Olympic Stadium last year so maybe we will play ours at BC Place.
Slight correction; the Impact played the home leg of their quarter-final match at Olympic Stadium, which was probably a good idea given that it was played in late February. In fact, there was some concern leading up to the match that it would have to be cancelled as there was the potential for a snowstorm, which would have made the roof unsafe.

Fortunately, there was no snowstorm and over 55000 fans jammed the "Big Owe" to watch the Impact's 2-0 victory. They lost the away leg in Mexico 5-2 (two of the opponent's goals were scored in 2nd-half injury time!!), eliminating them from the competition.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 7:39 PM

Well, tonight the Montreal Impact will host Toronto FC in the final match of the Canadian Championship. This one is on television (starting 5pm Pacific) on Sportsnet.

Vancouver currently leads the standings and will finish first...unless Toronto FC wins 4-0. Anything less and Vancouver goes through to the knock-out stage, where they would play a home-and-away, 2-game set against fellow USL-1 member (and the team the Whitecaps beat to win the USL title last year) Puerto Rico Islanders. A victory over the Islanders and the 'Caps are through to the group stages of the CONCACAF Champions League, where they would play a round-robin as the member of a 4-team group, to determine quarterfinal berths. [But I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself here; Montreal still has to do Vancouver a solid, by preventing a 4-0 TFC victory.]

It's interesting to note that the Whitecaps are currently in Montreal as they play the Impact in a USL league game on Saturday. I haven't heard whether they will be at the stadium or not this evening. I imagine they will be as they would be presented the Nutralite Cup, should Montreal come away with a result.

I'll be glued to my television set this evening!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:51 AM

This is starting to be a real nail biter. It's just before half and Toronto is up 2 - 1.

After they levelled it TFC has really come on but they've missed a couple of finishes that could have put them over the top. They need to score 3 more and not let any in, but this is going to be close I think. Bet they'd rather keep the momentum then head off to the dressing rooms at half.

71st minute....Toronto is doing what was almost impossible. They've potted 2 more and now are up 4 - 1. DeRo hat trick and Guevara an amazing free kick in the top left corner. TFC need 1 goal and hold it to win the Cup. This is sucking really bad for us and the Caps are actually in attendance at Saputo watching this right now.

Last edited by Overground; Jun 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 1:56 AM
Hello World

Blah Impact is playing like they're sleeping. What the heck is going on here ? 6-1 Toronto FC and that knocked Whitecaps off the championship. Impact must have been paid off or something by Toronto FC to lose this badly... Dammit...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:15 AM

Wow...6 goals....there was no way anyone expected this. The most Toronto has ever scored was 4.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:18 AM
Dérive-r

Boo-urns.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:29 AM
Hello World

The absolute worst kind of lost is losing to a game you're not even playing in

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 3:33 AM

Well, it's over and Toronto has done the unexpected and won by at least 4 goals to win the Championship and move on to play Puerto Rico in a two-game knock out to determine a place in the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League.

What a heartache for the Whitecaps, and everyone involved with the Montreal organization should be ashamed of himself. What an epic failure!!

It's ironic that Vancouver will play Montreal in a USL regular-season match in two days' time during "Soccer Day in Canada"--a CBC-promoted day akin to their "Hockey Day in Canada." Saturday should be interesting, to say the least, although the majority of the players who played for Montreal tonight will not be on the pitch on Saturday.

All in all, a disgraceful effort by Montreal, but at the same time, give all the credit to Toronto. They could have packed it in when Montreal went ahead 1-0 early, but they continued to fight.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:48 AM

ya...you got to give to Toronto for pulling out a sudden death 5 goals and then top it off with a 6th. This will probably inject some life into their club now too. If they make Group play it could make for some interesting MLS match-ups down the road.

Prelim. Round - Toronto FC v Puerto Rico - 28/Jul and 4/Aug.

If they get through that round then TFC would be in Group C with Columbus Crew(ooo this will be good!) and Saprissa(Costa Rica). The other team in the group will be either Cruz Azul(Mex) or Herediano(CR).

Matchday 1 starts 18-20 August.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation