HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:32 PM

Vancouver Restaurant Photothread

I sometimes take photos of the nice restaurants that we happen to visit, so I thought of creating a new thread particularly for these photos and discussion.

I will post also some older photos, but unfortunately I cannot remember what all these dishes were. Enjoy the photos, nonetheless!

Kitsilano Daily Kitchen
http://www.kitsdaily.com/

Very positive experience. Their menu changes daily and the 6 course meal is worth every penny. I will certainly go back at some point.

Last edited by Klazu; Oct 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 11:08 PM

Le Crocodile
http://lecrocodilerestaurant.com/

A bit so-so experience on both my times there. It's a nice setting, but the food was not spectacular. I am not a huge fan of the French cuisine, but the food was not to my taste on both times. Since I have given this place two tries already, I am not planning to return.

First occasion to this restaurant.

Second time in.

Last edited by Klazu; Oct 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:24 AM

Great stuff. You should do that for a living, its making me hungry!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 11:57 AM
be nice to the crackheads

For a great culinary city like Vancouver, this photothread is long overdue. Thanks for starting it, Klazu. I hope to make some contributions next year.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Great stuff. You should do that for a living, its making me hungry!
Haha, that's indeed what delicious photos cause, I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
For a great culinary city like Vancouver, this photothread is long overdue. Thanks for starting it, Klazu. I hope to make some contributions next year.
I agree that we have it pretty good here in Vancouver. And since I had already taken all these photos, I thought why not share them. More to follow and feel free to post your own.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:17 PM

Klazu, thanks for the photos! I will need to keep this in mind when eating out. You need to put a mini review in tho. Food looks great, but did it taste as good as it looks? Foodies will want to know!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:11 PM

Sure, I can include few words about my personal experience in these restaurants, however I recommend anyone interested to check Yelp and Urbanspoon for more recent reviews.

Kitsilano Daily Kitchen - Very positive experience. Their menu changes daily and the 6 course meal is worth every penny. I will certainly go back at some point.

Le Crocodile - A bit so-so experience on both my times there. It's a nice setting, but the food was not spectacular. I am not a huge fan of the French cuisine, but the food was not to my taste on both times. Since I have given this place two tries already, I am not planning to return.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:54 AM

Ki (closed)
http://www.kijapanese.com/

Nice atmosphere and good food. I was certainly planning to go back, but their Vancouver location closed and is now replaced by The Keg.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:01 AM

Vij’s
http://www.vijsrestaurant.ca/index_in.htm

Vancouver legend. The food was good and had very much taste in it. I am still not sure I would bother queuing for a long time, as is sometimes needed. I am still planning to go back, especially after they move (already did?) to the new location.

They also sell their food nowadays at least through Safeway, but that is not worthy of their name. That must be one of the most bland food I have ever tasted. Totally opposite experience experience from the restaurant itself.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:52 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Love Vij's. I had a beef dish there that ranks as one of my all-time favourites.

Interesting take on Le Crocodile. From your pictures, the food looks very '90's'. The process of stacking food on top of each other isn't really done much anymore.

Daily Kitchen looks fantastic

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:03 AM

MARKET by Jean-Georges
http://www.shangri-la.com/vancouver/...-jean-georges/

Small, but very nice fine dining establishment. They have a fantastic 5 course tasting menu that we tried. I remember it being around 65 dollars, which is a steal for the quality you get. Food was very exquisite and tasty and we are certainly planning to return again. Their head chef has had three-star Michelin stars.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:11 AM

One more entry from this past weekend.

YEW seafood + bar
http://www.yewseafood.com/

Nice setting along Four Seasons. Small menu, but I think it was due to Thanksgiving. It's a bit noisy place to my taste of fine dining restaurants, but very nicely decorated. The food was good, but not as special for example at Market (above). I would say four stars out of five and while we plan to return, we are not going to be in a hurry.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 11:35 PM

Boulevard kitchen & oyster bar
http://boulevardvancouver.ca/

Brand new restaurant inside The Sutton Place hotel. We went to try out the $38 Dine Out Vancouver menu, which turned out to be very nice. Also their normal menu looked excellent, with some Wagyu beef and caviar on it. We really liked our experience and will be back later on to try also the regular menu. The restaurant has and fresh setting, but it can be a bit loud when full like yesterday.

Winter salad greens, root vegetable chips, heirloom beets, sherry vinaigrette.

Albacore tuna tartare sesame oil, scallion, shredded nori.

Pacific provider salmon fregola sarda, chorizo, paella sauce.

Chocolate torte sponge, mousse, cocoa nougatine.

Pavlova duo of meringue and citrus custard.

More Dine Out Vancouver 2015 experiences to follow...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:17 AM
See ya down under, mates

My wife and father in law are major foodies but they refused to go to hotel restaurants during Dine Out. Apparently they are not up to par with standalone places.

She's going to 9 restaurants this Dine Out. I'm managing to avoid all but two (Boathouse and Incendio).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:50 AM

There is nothing bad in being a foodie!

I have tried many hotel and standalone restaurants around the world and I wouldn't be avoiding a great restaurant just because it happens to be located inside a hotel. Some of the greatest restaurants (but not all) are inside 5-star hotels and my best dining experience was a five hour 8 course dinner at 3-Michelin Star restaurant AQUA which is located inside Ritz-Carlton Wolfsburg (next to Volkswagen HQ).

I would avoid some regular hotel restaurants, but not the fancy ones. I do agree that a 5-star hotel doesn't guarantee a great restaurant and it is up to the individual establishment's merits.

Anyways, we are doing three Dine Outs this year. Two more to go and next one is in an hour.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:56 PM

as a culinary student hotels were the place you aimed to get into to do your apprenticeship

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:28 AM

ARC
www.arcdining.com

Another brand new restaurant inside Fairmont Waterfront. Also here we went to try out the $38 Dine Out Vancouver menu. I really liked their modern and contemporary interior, but the food left mixed feelings. I liked my main course and the dessert, but the appetizer was too exotic for me. Overall not a disappointing experience.

I am not 100% sure we will be making our way back to ARC though, as there are many better restaurants in town. The service was excellent and very attentative, but the food wasn't anything flashy. Nice detail is that they have honey bee hives on their roof top, where they get all their honey.

Heirloom Beets with liquorice, marshmallow, cocoa nib coulis, roasted barley malt & hazelnut soil.

Albacore Tuna Carpaccio with house cured pancetta, burnt sage and mandarin orange, toasted bread, olive.

Lois Lake Steelhead with fennel, yukon gold potato, romesco sauce.

House Churned Ice Cream with Agassiz hazelnut and maple + pear and brandy sorbet.

More Dine Out Vancouver 2015 experiences to follow...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:42 AM

Brix
http://brixvancouver.com/

Last of the three Dine Out Vancouver restaurants we tried this year. This restaurant is located in Yaletown and their specialty is definitely their glass ceiling courtyard that offers few tables on top of the ones inside. Nice decoration, but do not sit next to the windows as there is a draft.

Food was very good and we definitely enjoyed our experience. Duck breast was excellent and the passionfruit tart was superb. I would go back just for the tart!

We certainly enjoyed our experience and will be going back in the future.

AAA beef carpaccio. Kale salad with anchovy cinaigrette, 8 minute free range egg, foccacia crumble

Romaine heart salad. Russian garlic anchovy dressing, black garlic mascarpone, croutons

Brome Lake duck breast. Bourbon honey glaze, winter vegetable and duck confit succotash

Grilled wild salmon. Dungeness crab and snow pea Yukon potato hash, dijon & tarragon beurre blanc

Flourless chocolade cake. Maple orange gel & citrus chantilly cream

Passionfruit tart. Maple chantilly cream, lemon and raspberry coulis'

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:24 AM

Coast
http://www.glowbalgroup.com/coast/

Last year we didn't end up visiting any restaurants during Dine Out Vancouver, but this year we have made reservations for few nice places. Coast is a nice seafood restaurant that is part of the Glowball group and they had a very nice $40 three-course menu. Especially the Surf & Turf was excellent and mouth-wateringly tasty.

Prawn Duo - whole prawn motogaki & crispy prawn spring roll
yuzu ponzu sauce

Miso-Salmon Chowder - clams, ginger, dashi, scallions, tof

Surf & Turf - bacon wrapped beef tenderloin, atlantic lobster tail
squash & quinoa risotto, béarnaise

Tahitian Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée - calamansi caramel, tamarind tuile

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining