HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:58 AM
BANNED

Whatever she builds , will be nothing like those crazy alien monster towers. This is Midtown not Miami beach. You won't see an an insect or birds nest tower going up here fellows, I can guarantee it. I'll bet my bottom dollar that this tower ends up being a rather boxy tower with some frills added on for affect. Large swooping sides and this and that won't be on the table. I honestly think you're all getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. No way in hell boys will something remotely resembling that weird Miami tower be showing up in Midtown freakin Manhattan, lol!

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 12, 2015 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Whatever she builds , will be nothing like those crazy alien monster towers. This is Midtown not Miami beach. You won't see an an insect or birds nest tower going up here fellows, I can guarantee it. I'll bet my bottom dollar that this tower ends up being a rather boxy tower with some frills added on for affect. Large swooping sides and this and that won't be on the table. I honestly think you're all getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. No way in hell boys will something remotely resembling that weird Miami tower be showing up in Midtown freakin Manhattan, lol!
Ya know,I dont want to antagonize you and i try to keep my mouth shut but as a mod i have ajob to do. In all honesty,your annoying. You seem to always have an overtly pestimistic view on NYC developments and perhaps its not just with NY maybe its across the forum but i can only speak for what I oversee. Your points would be more valid if you presented them in an intellectual and well thought out manner but instead its like you post comments in the hope that someone will argue back in anger. Personally i've always felt that way about you as have others. Your the exact opposite of J R Ewing but your both cut from the same thread. My patience runs thin lately and your thinly veiled city bashing won't go on for much longer,give what i've said here some thought.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:07 PM
World Machine

Wow, this came out of nowhere. I have a direct view of this building from my office and it's one massive office building. This is very interesting, as the years go on and these mid-century office towers become more antiquated, I'm sure we'll see more and more of these developments.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
As long as it's a thin boxy tower with those added frills for affect then this tower will be just fine. I think people can feel optimistic about this without knicker twisting.

Imagine how much better Nordstrom would have been if it kept the same form but had some Hadid frills. I'm hopeful for a touch of her Miami where as I was never optimistic for AS+GG Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Ya know,I dont want to antagonize you and i try to keep my mouth shut but as a mod i have ajob to do. In all honesty,your annoying. You seem to always have an overtly pestimistic view on NYC developments and perhaps its not just with NY maybe its across the forum but i can only speak for what I oversee. Your points would be more valid if you presented them in an intellectual and well thought out manner but instead its like you post comments in the hope that someone will argue back in anger. Personally i've always felt that way about you as have others. Your the exact opposite of J R Ewing but your both cut from the same thread. My patience runs thin lately and your thinly veiled city bashing won't go on for much longer,give what i've said here some thought.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Also for a reminder, here's Hadid's proposal for 425 Park.

yeah no, that would just look out of place

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 6:54 AM

your words sound hopeful Chris . . .
"A slender super tall with that futuristic touch and an alien nature . .
could be something that we may see" . . And that sounds just fine with me . . I think . .
You never know 'till you see it of course . .

Any of the posts of Hadid's work shown in this thread so far . .
would look much cooler less squat . . if they were formed into a much taller -
more slender proportion . . . That's exactly what we're suppose to get here anyway . .
Serious sleek architectural alien "futuristic" - Absolutely. Bring it on . .
Sophisticated Soaring Shape is the most inspiring . .

But beware of the shapes option in the hands of the less talented . .
Shape can easily get ridiculous . . goofy badly-proportioned Mighty-Toy "futuristic" -
. . please God . . no cringe-worthy sh*t ! . . not in Manhattan . . not on 5th Ave.

Hadid's work is consistently good . .
providing developer and client . . don't mangle the essential brilliance of design . .
to save dough at the end of the process . . Let's hope a tall beauty here is forthcoming .
There's plenty of bad bland "normal" background buildings in Midtown to absorb the jolt.
(even some new ones) . .

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 9:03 PM

a massing is present in this cityrealty rendering right of 432 Park - towering over 53w53rd:

http://www.6sqft.com/subway-inn-site...pertall-tower/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 2:08 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2015/10/20/the-nex...t-skyscrapers/

Quote:
New York is undergoing a skyscraper evolution with a slew of towers ranging from 800 feet tall to nearly twice that; and all clamoring for a spot on the skyline.

There are at least 15 that will top 1,000 feet tall — with just Extell’s One57 open but not sold out — and another dozen or so that will be upwards of 500 feet.

In Midtown, Kushner Companies and Vornado Realty Trust are considering re-stacking 666 Fifth to 1,400 feet, and repurposing it to residential and hotel.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
http://nypost.com/2015/09/10/real-es...wer-into-mall/

Real estate heavyweights Steve Roth and Jared Kushner are mulling a plan to reposition the 1957-era aluminum-clad 666 Fifth Ave. office tower into a 1,400-foot vertical mall, hotel and residential tower.

The Post has also learned that Pritzker Prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid has already prepared a scheme that would restack the current 41-story building into a slender, super-tall hotel and residential tower above a vertical retail podium.

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/31/europe...ha-hadid-dead/

Architect Zaha Hadid dies at 65

March 31, 2016

Sad note.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:37 PM
DENNAB

RIP Zaha, she was very talented!

I wonder what the fate of this tower will be now, we'll need to find another starchitect.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
RIP Zaha, she was very talented!

I wonder what the fate of this tower will be now, we'll need to find another starchitect.
She already designed this tower, so we may or may not get another Zaha Hadid tower. They could use her design, or choose another architect, of course.

Since nothing has been released, hard for any of us to really opine, because we have no idea of the plans.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 8:35 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
She already designed this tower, so we may or may not get another Zaha Hadid tower. They could use her design, or choose another architect, of course.

Since nothing has been released, hard for any of us to really opine, because we have no idea of the plans.
I didn't realize it had already been designed, hope they stick with whatever it is because I usually like her work.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:08 AM
DENNAB

I also think it would be a bit insulting to her to not user her design now that she's passed. She would have wanted to see it built.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 9:34 AM

In Memoriam: Zaha Hadid’s Projects in New York

http://www.6sqft.com/in-memoriam-zah...new-york-city/

666 Fifth Avenue
Midtown
Vornado Realty and Kushner Companies
Unbuilt | 2015

Perhaps one of the most exciting design rumors to surface last fall was that real estate titans Steve Roth and Jared Kushner may be conjuring up a plan to build a 1,400-foot mixed-use supertall skyscraper at 666 Fifth Avenue designed by Zaha Hadid. According to the Post, Hadid had already prepared a scheme that would re-stack vertically the existing 41-story office building.

Google Earth rendering of what a 1,400-foot tower could look like on the site of 666 Fifth Avenue, via 6sqft

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

Its kinda like a taller 1000 Museum in a sense. I'd be happy with a design such as this gracing 5th Avenue. It'll be a testament to her work, and will solidify it permanently to the NYC skyline.

Credit: http://www.designboom.com/architectu...miami-skyline/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 7:17 PM
DENNAB

I hope they build that! I dig it... it does look like a twice as tall version of the Miami one.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 7:28 PM

I would be very happy with that design. We'll see.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 9:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its speculative and most likely not what the design will look like. I do hope it will share some of the elements of 1000 Museum or her other work.

Quote:
Google Earth rendering of what a 1,400-foot tower could look like on the site of 666 Fifth Avenue, via 6sqft
Could....

I think 6sqft would be better off mentioning that such a design will be in a similar style to Hadid's other work, but not use a stretched 1000 Museum for sake of hypothesizing a potential tower. Its misleading and a publicity tactic.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 9:43 PM

I honestly was never a big fan of her work. It's a tragic loss for her family and the industry as a whole though. She was a pioneer for other female architects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects