HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:29 PM

The second phase of Walk Only Zone will begin August 21, 2014 and cover Palm Walk (from Tyler Mall to Lemon Mall) and Tyler Mall (from Old Main to the Goldwater Center).

A formal Walk-Only Zones enforcement process took effect
March 31, 2014 and extended support of the zones and pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus. The second Phase will begin enforcement on August 21, 2014.
ASU student, faculty and staff enforcement process:

First violation: A Campus Mall Enforcement staff member issues individuals who are not observing Walk-Only Zones guidelines a written warning
Second violation:
Students must attend an ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class
Faculty and staff must attend an ASU Driving on the Mall class
Third violation: Individuals will receive a referral to the Dean of Students, Dean, or Vice President

ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class

The classes cover:
Bicycle and traffic laws that bicyclists need to obey
Laws that bicyclists tend to get cited for the most
A $15 administrative charge must be paid at the start of class. Only cash and money orders payable to the ASU Police Department are accepted.
The classes are held at the ASU Police Department: 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe AZ
Class time is 3-5 p.m. Depending on the number of attendees and their questions, the class can last anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours.
To schedule your class:
Call the bike information line: 480.965.6068
A recorded message will outline the class schedule, location and time
Leave a message with the date you want to attend class and your phone number
You will receive a call back with information about what you must do beforehand and what you need to bring to class.
Bicycle diversion classes are now available online. The administrative charge of $18 is payable online.

Bicycling at ASU Fall 2014 new additions include:
Bicycle valet station located near the Noble Science Library
Card-access bicycle parking facility located on Palm Walk just north of Tyler Mall

Last edited by MegaBass; Aug 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
The second phase of Walk Only Zone will begin August 21, 2014 and cover Palm Walk (from Tyler Mall to Lemon Mall) and Tyler Mall (from Old Main to the Goldwater Center).

March 31, 2014 and extended support of the zones and pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus. The second Phase will begin enforcement on August 21, 2014.

First violation: A Campus Mall Enforcement staff member issues individuals who are not observing Walk-Only Zones guidelines a written warning
Second violation:
Third violation: Individuals will receive a referral to the Dean of Students, Dean, or Vice President

The classes cover:
A $15 administrative charge must be paid at the start of class. Only cash and money orders payable to the ASU Police Department are accepted.
The classes are held at the ASU Police Department: 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe AZ
Class time is 3-5 p.m. Depending on the number of attendees and their questions, the class can last anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours.
To schedule your class:
You will receive a call back with information about what you must do beforehand and what you need to bring to class.
Bicycle diversion classes are now available online. The administrative charge of $18 is payable online.
Even though I am completely for this measure, (since I got run over as a pedestrian on ASU multiple times by bikes and skateboarders; mostly skateboarders), how much money does the Police Department make ASU?! The parking tickets are already insane, now this? Oh well, have to pay for those pretty new buildings somehow.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
$30M Apartment community planned along Apache Blvd. in Tempe

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ue_date=August
One less mobile home park along Apache corridor is a good thing!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 8:06 PM

Curious as to what penalty a non-ASU person would face from ignoring the walk only zones...say, someone who cuts through campus on a bike as part of their commute or errands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

Second violation:

The classes cover:
To schedule your class:

Bicycling at ASU Fall 2014 new additions include:
Bicycle valet station located near the Noble Science Library
Card-access bicycle parking facility located on Palm Walk just north of Tyler Mall

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 8:31 PM

Thanks for the new info, dtnphx! We started discussing this project a few pages back, and it's gone through Development Review: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
One less mobile home park along Apache corridor
is a good thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
$30M Apartment community planned along Apache Blvd. in Tempe

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ue_date=August

Good project; even the units in the way back are only about a 12-minute walk from the station. I do wish they could build in the ability to run an E/W neighborhood street through these deep lots when enough of them get redeveloped, though.

Hopefully the adjacent trailer park is next; ideally, they could figure out a way to share the west driveway/parking area from this proposal and the existing Grigio driveway to reduce conflicts on Apache by removing a driveway (a new E/W access road in partnership with Tempe Paintball or Ken's Auto would be great, too) but I know that's probably hopeless optimism on my part

Last edited by DevilsRider; Aug 14, 2014 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Thanks for the new info, dtnphx! We started discussing this project a few pages back, and it's gone through Development Review: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493

Good project; even the units in the way back are only about a 12-minute walk from the station. I do wish they could build in the ability to run an E/W neighborhood street through these deep lots when enough of them get redeveloped, though.

Hopefully the adjacent trailer park is next; ideally, they could figure out a way to share the west driveway/parking area from this proposal and the existing Grigio driveway to reduce conflicts on Apache by removing a driveway (a new E/W access road in partnership with Tempe Paintball or Ken's Auto would be great, too) but I know that's probably hopeless optimism on my part
Yes, this project was already discussed weeks ago; but, your last paragraph sums up the criticism I posted back then. It's great that these developers were creative with the awkward piece of land they assembled, but the long-term impact it leaves in terms of the remaining parcels around it kind of sucks and a better approach would've been to try and acquire the 2nd trailer park over a period of time so that those kind of issues would've been avoided. I can't imagine they would be too hard to buy out, but time is money... I just think we'll see that park remain or go vacant before any developer spends money trying to create something with all of the obstacles involved.

More details are in regarding the Culinary Dropout project and Farmer Arts District:
http://inbusinessmag.com/just-in/fox...e#.U-4FybErbpc

Sounds really awesome, and The Madison is another great addition to downtown. Things I hadn't noticed being mentioned:
1) The pedestrian passage from University to Town Lake will indeed be extended with this development; Fox is quoted as saying it will be even more than that.
2) The Lodge Bar and Grill will be replacing The Sail Inn; great that it didn't stay vacant for long at all and shows the confidence in this area!
3) Ash/University highrise with Whole Foods market is mentioned in the article - not sure if that means anything, but fingers crossed.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:42 PM

"even more than that" I wonder if that means extending it south to 5th street along the east side of the parking lot? If so, that would be awesome, and would make a continuous path from 1st to about 7th St.

I also love how the whole project is coming together, and incorporating live music should help take some more of the sting out of the Sail Inn going away. It's likely to be one of my favorite spots in Tempe from the moment it opens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
More details are in regarding the Culinary Dropout project and Farmer Arts District:

Sounds really awesome, and The Madison is another great addition to downtown. Things I hadn't noticed being mentioned:
1) The pedestrian passage from University to Town Lake will indeed be extended with this development; Fox is quoted as saying it will be even more than that.
2) The Lodge Bar and Grill will be replacing The Sail Inn; great that it didn't stay vacant for long at all and shows the confidence in this area!
3) Ash/University highrise with Whole Foods market is mentioned in the article - not sure if that means anything, but fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
"even more than that" I wonder if that means extending it south to 5th street along the east side of the parking lot? If so, that would be awesome, and would make a continuous path from 1st to about 7th St.
That is indeed what the final outcome will be. However, I believe that it won't actually happen until the land gets developed. The first phase was a collaboration between the developers of Encore and the city. It is very likely that the second chunk of it would be done in a similar manner.

Tempe has been pretty smart about these types of moves. Unlike other cities that completely bend over for any developer asking for changes to the code to build their proposal, Tempe asks for something in return. Sometimes it is something as simple as remodeling the streetscape and planting shade trees in front of the development (as was required from the District on Apache). But there definitely is this underlying concept that if you are going to build in Tempe, you are going to be a part of Tempe, and therefore should do a little to make it better. Wish other cities in the valley learned from this.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yes, this project was already discussed weeks ago; but, your last paragraph sums up the criticism I posted back then. It's great that these developers were creative with the awkward piece of land they assembled, but the long-term impact it leaves in terms of the remaining parcels around it kind of sucks and a better approach would've been to try and acquire the 2nd trailer park over a period of time so that those kind of issues would've been avoided. I can't imagine they would be too hard to buy out, but time is money... I just think we'll see that park remain or go vacant before any developer spends money trying to create something with all of the obstacles involved.

I don't really have a problem with long blocks. And as someone who blasts the car-centric culture as often as you can, I'm surprised you are for more streets. More entrances off of Apache would slow down traffic on Apache, and make it possible for people to cross from one side to another more easily, ultimately making it easier for this are to be a successful mix-use corridor for retail. Nobody likes crossing a high speed wide road.

Instead of adding vehicular access, it would be nicer for the long blocks to be cut only for pedestrians (and bikers), since they are the ones affected by longer distances. Something like this:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 9:49 PM

I am a big fan of pedestrian blocks and dedicated pathways. In the case of properties on Apache, I'd prefer to see fewer driveways on Apache itself, both right-in, right-out driveways which only increase conflicts between drivers and non-drivers, but also signalized intersections (which can slow down the light rail and increase turning conflict points. The only type of crossing I'd want to see more of on Apache is HAWKs or dedicated bike/ped signals, such as at the Tempe Canal crossing.

The idea behind another street between Apache and the tracks is to improve the grid, and encourage property ingress/egress away from the transit/bike/ped corridor that Apache is becoming to reduce conflicts at existing driveways and shift traffic to signalized intersections or McClintock/Price. I think Tempe actually does have a desire to put a path adjacent to the railroad tracks at some point? But if they don't, I think a bike/ped path that cuts through the middle of these blocks would be wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I don't really have a problem with long blocks. And as someone who blasts the car-centric culture as often as you can, I'm surprised you are for more streets. More entrances off of Apache would slow down traffic on Apache, and make it possible for people to cross from one side to another more easily, ultimately making it easier for this are to be a successful mix-use corridor for retail. Nobody likes crossing a high speed wide road.

Instead of adding vehicular access, it would be nicer for the long blocks to be cut only for pedestrians (and bikers), since they are the ones affected by longer distances. Something like this:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:47 AM

I see from the construction cam that a large heavy crane is now positioned at the south end of the HFL III site. Perhaps we'll see the tower crane going up soon? The base has been in place for 2 weeks now.

http://ryancompanies1.workzonecam.com/hayden

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:57 PM

And the tower crane is up. There as so many cranes up in Tempe right now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I see from the construction cam that a large heavy crane is now positioned at the south end of the HFL III site. Perhaps we'll see the tower crane going up soon? The base has been in place for 2 weeks now.

http://ryancompanies1.workzonecam.com/hayden

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
And the tower crane is up. There as so many cranes up in Tempe right now!!!
Wow, that building is going to look great there. Nice.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 8:45 PM

Would anyone be willing to take a picture with all the cranes up? I'm in SF and dying to see how it looks with all of them up!

Wish Phoenix could have as many at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Would anyone be willing to take a picture with all the cranes up? I'm in SF and dying to see how it looks with all of them up!

Wish Phoenix could have as many at the same time.
I'll see what I can do. Will be heading over that way tomorrow. It will be interesting trying to get them all in one frame for HFL III and Marina Heights. The others will have to be in separate pics though just due to distance and angles.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:

Huh? I think you're attributing someone else's comments to me. I didn't mention anything about additional streets or adding any more vehicular access lanes off Apache.

In fact, my issue is just the opposite in regards to Apache. The fact that this is such a narrow piece of land means one driveway for Grigio, followed by another for this development, and then - in theory - yet another for the adjacent mobile park.

My post said that I wished the developers had also acquired the additional mobile home so that one larger development could have been created, with only one driveway needed, and a frontage along Apache that allowed for traditional retail (since they've gotten out of including retail by claiming the shape of the lot is an impediment).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:55 AM

Here are the pics I was able to get today by Tempe Town Lake. It's hard to get an angle with all the cranes visible. Then there are the bridges and power lines as well. It's worth noting that we gained a tower crane at HFL III, but the one at Argo/Skywater is now gone.

Marina Heights:

HFL III

All together:

Another view. You can also see the tower crane for the 2nd phase of The Hub/University House to the lower right of the HFL III crane:

Argo/Skywater and the Tempe Center for the Arts:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
That is indeed what the final outcome will be. However, I believe that it won't actually happen until the land gets developed. The first phase was a collaboration between the developers of Encore and the city. It is very likely that the second chunk of it would be done in a similar manner.
Well, SFR was quoted as saying they'd be doing their piece of the path and "expanding even further," so obviously the path will extend either north or south of the Culinary Arts development. South would help create a large, continuous path given the Encore improvements, but given the fact that they will ideally be building on the lot just north of their first project, I'm not sure that makes much sense.

Maybe they are doing other pedestrian enhancements in the Farmer area itself? The area between the lake, TCA, and residential developments along 1st are pretty segregated... maybe they've come up with something to help tie everything together?

Also, DevilsRider, thanks for the inspiration to pull up these plans again with your question regarding the tracks, becuase:

It looks like the 8th Street enhancements are moving forward. This is a project I've always wanted to see implemented, as I think it's one of the most comprehensive plans the city has put together aside from what has now become of College Ave. The integration of the historic creamery buildings, use of the abandoned RR tracks as public space, and activation of a street that would be ignored and thrown away in most other cities is something I am really happy to see has finally received financing after 4 years of the design simply at a stand-still as it awaited funding.

I remember there being some kind of food truck/vendor space included in the plans that isn't there any longer, but oh well - if the final design looks anything like the rendering, what a great addition to the City: hopefully, something gets built - soon - on University/8th as that's a prime lot near adjacent to this project and the ASU light rail/bus terminal. Would be great to see a really iconic gateway project.

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=336

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:54 PM

Thanks for posting the pics! It's looking great and can't wait to see the changes next time I'm back there.

As for Argo, it is looking good but man I wish they would have been 3-4 stories taller so they really stood out behind TCA.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

As for Argo, it is looking good but man I wish they would have been 3-4 stories taller so they really stood out behind TCA.
Yes, thank you! But, agreed. Argo is the same height as most of the development around it, and most of the development that is underway in the immediate downtown, like Hanover, both of the Encores, etc.

a mix of 8 and 9 story buildings with Hanover at 12 would've been pretty cool, but oh well. At least there's some fun stuff on the edges.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest