HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:21 PM

Just got back from a 2 week vacation in Europe, flew Winnipeg-Calgary-Gatwick there, and Gatwick-Toronto-Winnipeg on the way back, and had a problem with 3 out of 4 flights.

We made it to Edmonton no problem, long enough layover that my family could have a decent meal before the 6:55pm departure (cause you know, no meal on an 8 hour flight). We got in the plane and proceeded to sit at the gate for 90 minutes while maintenance tried to solve a hydraulic issue, before being told we would all have to disembark and get on a different plane because they couldn't solve the problem. The new plane wasn't showing up, but we were assured it "just needed to be brought over from a hangar", until finally at 11:45 pm the flight was cancelled, and rescheduled for the same time the next day. Even after this we still had to clear Canadian customs, wait in line for food/hotel/taxi vouchers, and different seats on the new flight, which took another 2 hours...

Coming back, the flight was delayed an hour and a half at Gatwick because some of the checked bags weren't tagged properly (we were given "refreshments" which turned out to be water) and when the plane finally did take off, the in flight entertainment (on our phones) didn't work until halfway through the flight after they had to reset the wireless network...

After using the travel voucher I got because of the cancelled flight I will not be flying Westjet again

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Just got back from a 2 week vacation in Europe, flew Winnipeg-Calgary-Gatwick there, and Gatwick-Toronto-Winnipeg on the way back, and had a problem with 3 out of 4 flights.

We made it to Edmonton no problem, long enough layover that my family could have a decent meal before the 6:55pm departure (cause you know, no meal on an 8 hour flight). We got in the plane and proceeded to sit at the gate for 90 minutes while maintenance tried to solve a hydraulic issue, before being told we would all have to disembark and get on a different plane because they couldn't solve the problem. The new plane wasn't showing up, but we were assured it "just needed to be brought over from a hangar", until finally at 11:45 pm the flight was cancelled, and rescheduled for the same time the next day. Even after this we still had to clear Canadian customs, wait in line for food/hotel/taxi vouchers, and different seats on the new flight, which took another 2 hours...

Coming back, the flight was delayed an hour and a half at Gatwick because some of the checked bags weren't tagged properly (we were given "refreshments" which turned out to be water) and when the plane finally did take off, the in flight entertainment (on our phones) didn't work until halfway through the flight after they had to reset the wireless network...

After using the travel voucher I got because of the cancelled flight I will not be flying Westjet again
I'm no expert but maybe part of the issue was you were catching a flight departing from Calgary from Edmonton.....

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:50 PM

And going through preclearance to get to the UK?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 9:29 PM

Lol my mistake, should have been Calgary, not Edmonton, guess I didn't catch that when I reread it to myself...

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
And going through preclearance to get to the UK?
That does sound odd although some airports are trying to move to a quick connect system that basically keeps passengers on the secure air side so perhaps they had reason to believe non-Canadians were in the mix?

Sort of sad to read DancingDuck was suckered into accepting vouchers for compensation when they could have received straight cash.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:11 PM

Re: receiving cash as compensation, tell me more.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:47 PM

I'm not sure if the "cash" option as CoryB mentioned would have been available to DancingDuck based on the EU's Air Passenger Rights. He/She would only be entitled to compensation on their return flight but for 1.5 hours, i doubt any compensation would be given.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

This web page is actually set up quite well and should be posted around the world but of course what airline wants you to see this.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:31 PM

Its well documented by Gabor Lukcas that mechanical delays are in the control of the airline and covered by, I believe its the Montreal Convention. Pretty much everyone hitting delays/cancelations out of YYZ due to the runway closure for maintenance is getting cash compensation if they pursue it.

If you want to know more hit up his Air Passenger Rights (Canada) Facebook group.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 12:39 AM

I found this pretty interesting... So I was scrolling through I think it was the YVR thread and someone had mentioned a post about Westjets international growth plan(link below). So I took a look at it and sure enough if you follow the lines correctly there seems to be a link between YWG-Hawaii.

Not sure if this will end up happening as its a potential route map but in my opinion this would be a popular winter route.

https://twitter.com/ClaireFromYVR/st...78091050287104

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Why would you have to clear Canada Customs when your flight was cancelled? There's no U.K. preclear anywhere in Canada for the U.K.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:08 AM

After two people commenting on it I'm thinking I may have used the wrong term... We were in the international terminal in Calgary, and before we could leave the airport we had to fill out a landing card, and went through an automated kiosk where we had to scan our passports. I don't fly international very often so I just assumed that what we went through was customs, maybe it was just security?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:29 PM
ILYR

Quote:
After two people commenting on it I'm thinking I may have used the wrong term... We were in the international terminal in Calgary, and before we could leave the airport we had to fill out a landing card, and went through an automated kiosk where we had to scan our passports. I don't fly international very often so I just assumed that what we went through was customs, maybe it was just security?
If you fill out a landing card and have your passport scanned in one of the machines this is customs for Canadians returning to Canada. Perhaps the it was the way they made the passengers exit that took them through the customs area (as if they had arrived from abroad). I assume you did not just enter back into the terminal as where you got on the plane.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:14 PM

^^ It had to be due to either a known or a suspected possibility of travelers from other countries being on the cancelled flight. Having them go back through Canadian Border Services documents their entry into Canada in terms of visa, entry eligibility, etc. Basically if you were a Canadian leaving the cancelled flight they were not looking for you but they had to push you all through the system to catch the handful they wanted to talk to in more detail.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:48 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:04 PM

^^ Newleaf effectively becomes Greyhound Air 2.0. Wonder if it will last longer this time...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:08 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Newleaf effectively becomes Greyhound Air 2.0. Wonder if it will last longer this time...
Well for one thing, they don't have coach buses involved, so that's a start!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 10:10 PM

I guess we lose the head office also...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:03 AM

i dont think well lose the head office

the company will grow if anything they already have thier foundation established in winnipeg.. this move is supposed to establish them as major airline like west jet and air canada.. thier not moving anywhere im sure that they have lease agreement with the airport that they cant just abandon.. they might set up regional offices in other parts of the country..

but this company is trying to grow as big as west jet thier not going anwhere.. winnipeg has lower costs on business than bc and already has trained employees ready to take over during the transition

they CANT RUN A MAJOR AIRLINE IN SMALL MARKET LIKE KELOWNA..

theres not even a major airport there

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:18 AM

^ CJOB says it's a done deal, NewLeaf is packing up and heading out.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:36 AM

well that sucks than

how many jobs we lose

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan