HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:46 PM

SaskE30 it was the Bay that had the underground section

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:47 PM

Scotia Centre

Scotia Centre is getting pretty bare these days...even the Rush have moved out to the North Industrial Area, which is understandable, more space at lower rent, but I thought their downtown location was a nice addition to the core. Scotia Centre is probably 60-70% vacant at this point.

Does anyone know what their game plan is? A few years ago it was mentioned a gym was in the works? Perhaps that has all changed with Nutrien now officially moving out.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
Scotia Centre is getting pretty bare these days...even the Rush have moved out to the North Industrial Area, which is understandable, more space at lower rent, but I thought their downtown location was a nice addition to the core. Scotia Centre is probably 60-70% vacant at this point.

Does anyone know what their game plan is? A few years ago it was mentioned a gym was in the works? Perhaps that has all changed with Nutrien now officially moving out.
My understanding was that Motion Fitness had planned on moving in the main level when Caswells left but there was some issue with plumbing so it was scrapped. Someone else could probably fill in more details.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:07 AM

I suspect we'll start to hear that they are offering space for a vastly reduced priced... either that or some major tenant improvements will be required to lure potential clients.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 2:28 PM

There are still issues that exist with keeping corporations/businesses downtown. Sasktel moved out of the Saskatoon Square building to a strip mall on Millar Avenue. Given, it is my understanding that the Saskatoon Square has some HVAC issues, but when Sasktel chooses to move out of the core, that is not good.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post

I was talking to someone at Ethos and they mentioned they were reconsidering their lease too when it expires in 1.5 yrs or so. They’re definitely considering moving with all the new main level space opening up - plus Nutrien leaving the office attached since Scotiabank doesn’t pay their employees enough to go there lolz.

In a perfect world Cushman and Wakefield would Buy the Scotia center, attach a skywalk from The Bay, the Bay renovates, and then we have the start of an awesome winter connected center.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 10:08 PM

I heard that Birmingham's is going to open a second spot near or in Hampton Village.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 10:36 PM

I’m surprised that no one has taken over the spot that Brown’s was supposed to have over in Kensington. There’s not a lot for sit down places that far west in the city and as long as the food was decent they could expect good crowds I’d think.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 3:03 AM

Heard that the National Restaurant/Entertainment venue from Calgary was going a spot where Sears was...

http://ntnl.ca/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara306 View Post
Heard that the National Restaurant/Entertainment venue from Calgary was going a spot where Sears was...

http://ntnl.ca/
National is ridiculously popular in Calgary, so it would be a major addition to Saskatoon's nightlife if they came here.

I wish there was rooftop space for them at River Landing, however. Their downtown rooftop in Calgary is a great space and absolutely packed for the Stampede.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 10:37 AM

That’s interesting... must be going on a corner on the main level - which should be prime retail space... Cushman and Wakefield’s management surprise me. Must mean the other units aren’t leasing that well. Don’t get me wrong I love National but the mall’s renovationed area seems like a strange place for it - especially with River Landing’s immense amount of main level retail that’s going to be on the market before this painstakingly long mall renovation mainly going to personal banking and restaurants.

I’m kind of worried that we’re going to have a restaurant saturation happen here that’s going to bust our insanely great local scene soon.. so many new restaurants have opened in the past two years. As a foodie I can’t keep up!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:59 PM

The corner of 20th St and 1st Ave has always struck me as being intended for a restaurant/bar based on its representation in these renderings ("Artisan"/"Artisan Bar"). So if true I don't think it's a change of plans for Cushman Wakefield but exactly according to plan.

Looks to be two levels too, maybe with a rooftop patio on top.

https://twitter.com/thinktankSK

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:44 PM

New Faces New Places:
Comfort and quality are key ingredients at Simply Grounded Coffee Gallery

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
December 8, 2018

It’s been a more than successful year for Carol Reynolds-Wittman and the Simply Grounded Coffee Gallery.

Reynolds-Wittman decided to leave her corporate job to open a coffee shop where people can find homemade, healthy food in an atmosphere where they’re welcome to sit and stay awhile.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...coffee-gallery

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:20 PM

Local chef Scott Dicks is opening a restaurant called Odla in the old Nino's space on Broadway in spring 2019, per the below article. Hopefully they continue the summer patio tradition!

Chef committed to improving Saskatoon's culinary scene, from startups to family suppers
Scott Dicks plans to open new restaurant in spring 2019

Eric Anderson · CBC News · Posted: Dec 13, 2018 5:00 AM CT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

Quote:
On a Thursday evening, Scott Dicks is carefully setting up for a sold-out cooking class at Saskatoon's The Local Kitchen.

Inside this community kitchen space, on a long, white countertop, there are stations where people will chop, dice, mix and boil ingredients into a delicious meal, all under the careful eye of "Chef Scotty."

"I like it when 80 per cent of the people are really involved and asking questions, while 20 per cent are there relaxing, watching and having a good time," Dicks says as people begin to file in for the class.

Dicks has become an attraction at The Local Kitchen thanks to his culinary teaching skills, but he's also known for sharing his knowledge and expertise with local businesses to help them grow.

"He's friendly and genuinely wants to see people improve," says Julie Gryba, one of the owners of The Local Kitchen.

"That's why he gets involved in all of these startups in Riversdale because he just wants to make sure they get off on the right foot."

Dicks owns Rural Saskatoon, a catering and consulting company that is working with several small businesses in the Riversdale neighbourhood. Besides teaching at The Local Kitchen, he is the culinary director of Collective Coffee, where he oversees the menu and ensures every item meets his high standards. He also works with Saskatoon's 9 Mile Brewery on special events.

[....]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...arts-1.4940256

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 6:50 PM

New Faces New Places: Pub and grill makes exceptional food with a neighbourhood feel

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
December 22, 2018

It’s hard to miss the Blue Rhino Pub and Grill when driving past Sutherland on College Drive.

The vibrant blue building, just a block off of College Drive, acts as a family friendly restaurant during the day — but once 8 p.m. hits, everyone under 19 has to clear out.

“We wanted to make sure minors were allowed in here because there is lots of nearby residential and because we have three kids we wanted them to be able to be here with us at times,” owner Meagan Nicklin says. “But the idea and the whole acquiring this place began as a dream of my husband’s — we met about 12 years ago and it was already a dream of his to own his own bar.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...hbourhood-feel

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:36 AM

Wendel Clark's Classic Grill & Bar is now open.

https://www.facebook.com/WC17Saskatoon/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:32 PM

went before last Rush game and they were not prepared for crowd and food was only so-so....not sure I would go back but maybe they just need to work out a few kinks,

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
went before last Rush game and they were not prepared for crowd and food was only so-so....not sure I would go back but maybe they just need to work out a few kinks,
I've never been. I'll have to give it a try. It's in a great location to grab supper before a Rush game, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:39 AM

Designing Wednesday’s Smokey Barbecue in Saskatoon

Global News Morning Saskatoon
January 2, 2019

https://globalnews.ca/video/4807661/designing-wednesdays-smokey-barbecue-in-saskatoon/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Went last Saturday for lunch and I found it was so-so as well. The burger was actually a handmade patty so props for that, but nothing special overall for the group I was with's meals. Priced similar to an Original Joe's, but not the same amount of food (which may or may not be a bad thing depending on if you find the O-Joe's meals too big lol) and only 1 side!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan