HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
White ones look like the old American bases here. Any of them really.
That's what I thought - looks like old military housing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
The more and more those mcmansions are introduced into those mediocre neighbourhoods on the fringe of the city the more and more the houses like the one in the middle go up in price.

There are people who are paying $900k to $1mil for that house to actually live in and not knock down. And even if your immediate street looks nice with several newly built mcmansions, the moment you turn the corner to the next street or to the main street like Dufferin, you enter a clusterfuck of mediocrity and traffic congestion.

For one million and above, I want to be in an area that doesn't suck your soul out of your body when you have to go to the store or to work everyday.
Ha ha. I live in this area...and you're right. It is the worst of a lot of worlds. It has the cost of the old city of Toronto, but it has the charm of Scarborough. It might be one of the most congested parts of the city, which is really saying something.

One thing I find kind of amusing is that this area was one of the first parts of Toronto to suburbanize, so it was built for the car, but before car-based developers or planners had any idea what they were doing. The early postwar strip malls that line streets like Bathurst or Dufferin have parking lots that are too cramped to really navigate around in a car, so they're rife with double parking or people driving onto the sidewalk to get out onto the street.

The area has grown on me, but in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. There are some good ethnic restaurants out here, and coupled with the haggard state of the architecture, the high amount of traffic congestion and the general chaos of the parking situation, it kind of reminds me of parts of the developing world.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:01 PM
Midtowner since 2K

That screenshot of those homes in Toronto just reminds me of my great disdain toward "tear down" purchases of homes in the city. Usually they're that garish, "luxury" style, with no courtesy to the area in terms of material or setback. They further suburbanize an area IMO.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
There aren't many gated communities in Canada compared to the US. There are some I know in rural GTA like Caledon and Halton where it's not usually rich people but middle class people with decent homes in nature alongside rivers who moved there a couple decades ago. But there is no gate attendant.

The only gated community I know in the city with automated gates and gate house is Rosedale Village in Brampton. Been there at least 20 years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.74449.../data=!3m1!1e3
Adena Meadows is an ultra upscale gated community in Aurora. It's surrounded by the Magna Golf Club.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A huge factor in maintaining that cohabitation is (fairly) low crime. That's partly because the less fortunate in Canada don't seem themselves as locked into a desperate cut-throat battle to survive.
Schools and school districts are another big factor. Statistics like graduation rates and postsecondary attainment vary hugely between school districts and people tend to think that these will influence the outcome of their particular children.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
There are plenty of run down housing complexes in the GTA like any city, but this doesn't look typical GTA to me. It kind of reminds me of Northern Ontario or East Coast.
Like Signal suggested the white buildings could be some kind of old institutional housing on the East Coast. The brick apartment does not really look like apartments in Atlantic Canada and the corner store building looks completely different.

Atlantic Canada has a lot of ugly suburbs but unlike the ugly parts of Toronto or Vancouver they tend to be cheap. Here's a 3 BR townhouse in the Halifax equivalent of Scarborough. Listed at $139,900: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ower-sackville

People usually say that of course these are cheaper, because Atlantic Canadians earn less. But the median household in St. John's or Halifax earns more than Toronto or Vancouver. They just spend less on housing, and detached houses or rowhouses are occupied by a larger range of the lower end of the income spectrum. These cheap houses aren't crappier analogues to the mid-range houses of Toronto, they are occupied by households that would have been in a run down 70's project or basement suite.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Schools and school districts are another big factor. Statistics like graduation rates and postsecondary attainment vary hugely between school districts and people tend to think that these will influence the outcome of their particular children.
Hence the importance of having consistent per pupil funding across large entities like provinces or states.

In the U.S. even within the same urban area there are often huge gaps in how much money per pupil goes to schools. Due to wealth disparities between school districts whose borders are craftily drawn. In some cases it almost seems like the inequalities are there by design.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:31 PM

Okay, I don't think it's ugly. I just don't know which thread it could belong to. And I would live there. In my books, it's very interesting. I just don't know exactly how it works.

The house actually backs onto Lake Ontario in Burlington. Maybe it's on a hill and there's more house than meets the eye.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:28 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Okay, I don't think it's ugly. I just don't know which thread it could belong to. And I would live there. In my books, it's very interesting. I just don't know exactly how it works.

The house actually backs onto Lake Ontario in Burlington. Maybe it's on a hill and there's more house than meets the eye.

A house similar to that was just added to Calgary's heritage inventory

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ResourceId=829

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

That Calgary one almost has a Frank Lloyd Wright-esque character to it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Almost.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is one from Halifax:

Source

It's a planned reno of an existing building that is already pretty ugly. It's also awful from an urban design perspective, with almost nothing interesting along the sidewalk and a giant ramp using up half of the real estate. I am all for accessibility but was there no more elegant way to incorporate a ramp into the design?

Hopefully they sacrificed the design of the exterior of the building for some spectacular gains inside...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:58 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That's fugly...and yet it uses that awful glassy treatment on the ground floor.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:12 PM
Fake News

That Halifax reno is mildly reminiscent of the Rooms with the clashing materials and bright colours.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 PM
Fake News

Seniors bunker from Calgary:

These were built on the foundations of an abandoned condo complex that sat as a pit for close to a decade. The decent building in the front (seen in the streetview) was the only tower of the original condo proposal that was built. I guess the seniors housing was an improvement over an abandoned hole in the ground.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.92190...7i13312!8i6656

Here's the old streetview of the pit:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.92130...7i13312!8i6656

On a sad note a contractor was killed on site when the original hoarding wall blew out and buried him alive. This was in the early 00's. This site has some history.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:35 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That Halifax reno is mildly reminiscent of the Rooms with the clashing materials and bright colours.
I don't actually think it's any worse than what's there now fortunately / unfortunately.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:36 PM
I am a typical

Tim Kiser's photos and commentary aren't for everyone but he was in Regina recently and wow look at this.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Tim Kiser's photos and commentary aren't for everyone but he was in Regina recently and wow look at this.
Even worse than Montreal’s infamous courthouse.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:34 PM
I am a typical

The Palais de Justice de Montreal? I quite like that building.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The Palais de Justice de Montreal? I quite like that building.
Yeah, bad comparison IMO. The Palais de Justice is a Late Modern monolith that would be excellent in just about any other context, and this one doesn't even face the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4471...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada