HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 11:37 PM
joining the rail club

Dave, i was just in the area of the Harrisburg mall the other day. my wife and i went to Bass Pro for the first time. i noticed all the upgrades to Paxton Street going through TecPort...it's about time and it looks great!

i agree with your comments about the big box stores being recycled crap that regergitate themselves across the area. i'm definately sick of strip malls and try to avoid them unless i absolutely have to. i guess the only positives from this that i can come up with is that it provides consumers in different subsections of the Harrisburg area with more choices...instead of making consumers drive across the river, many retailers are building multiple locations to serve the region...which means shorter commute times to stores.

this brings me to the other positive...larger retailers adding more stores ultimately means that the area is considered a prime location to target consumers...which i hope in the end means bringing different and more diverse commercial establishments to the region. and if bringing another boring multi-theater cinema to the Harrisburg mall helps to lure more investment and diverse retailers to target the area, then by all means IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 8:07 AM

lots of happened since i've been gone...for the harrisburg mall, i just went there and they had a few pictures of what phase II was going to look like. i must say, if the end product looks like them, it'll be really good to a mall that still seems to be failing. i went there at night, and it was pretty dead, and i noticed that many of the stores (hallmark, gap) have left, along with many other vacant storefronts. hopefully the theatres will breathe some life in the mall....i also went downtown and the state street project is going along well. the new design definitely opens up the view of the capitol. there's some nice brickwork at the 2nd st./state st. intersection and some nice lights, but i still miss those trees. there seems to be a few spots where trees might be added later, but they used to really soften all the concrete.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 8:49 PM
Me?!?

I see what you are saying, Chris, and I can agree to a point. But IMO HBG is WELL past that cycle and more new things should be popping up by now.

The HBG Mall is failing, I hate to say it. And no stupid movie theatre is going to do the trick, ESPECIALLY when another new, bigger one is going to be a few blocks down...the mall needs a total overhaul!

I am curious to see the State St. project's progress the next time I am in town. I was all for the project but I have heard A LOT of complaints so far, especially in regards to all of the parking that was/will be lost...

Here is some interesting news:

REAL ESTATE

Hershey Trust buys building

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hershey Trust Co. has purchased the PNC Bank building in downtown Hershey for $1.6 million.

PNC owned the two-story building at Cocoa and Chocolate avenues. The trust will spend another $2.5 million to renovate the building, which was built in 1910.

The first floor will be converted into office space for multiple tenants, said Robert Vowler, president and CEO of Hershey Trust.

PNC will lease 3,252 square feet. Other first-floor tenants will include Printpack Inc. and the M.S. Hershey Foundation.

Vowler said the second floor will be converted into premium office space intended for one tenant. A boardroom on the second floor originally was used by Milton S. Hershey, he noted.

The building totals 18,000 square feet, not counting the basement. The main entrance will be moved to the rear as part of the renovations, which started this month and are to be completed by late 2007.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
Me?!?

No money to clean up neighborhoods and one big snow storm this year almost broke the bank but there is somehow money for this?!? I do think it is a good buy of course and not a total waste, but I think the priorities are a little off, as there are much more important things to tend to IMO...

HARRISBURG SCHOOLS

District to buy SciTech campus

Friday, July 28, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The Harrisburg School District will no longer be a tenant at the downtown campus its SciTech High program shares with Harrisburg University of Science and Technology.

The city school district isn't moving the science and technology high school. It's buying the lab-laden building from the university for $12.5 million.

Harrisburg Superintendent Gerald Kohn called the purchase of 215 Market St., which the Harrisburg School District Board of Control approved last night, a great deal for both the city schools and Harrisburg University.

He said the school district is getting a state-of-the art science building at a bargain-basement price.

"This gives us the opportunity to own SciTech High by ourselves at a fraction of the cost to build it," said Kohn, who estimated the district will save between $5 million and $10 million.

Meanwhile, the university, which is going into its second year, will gain seed money and build collateral to bolster financing for a $70 million headquarters tower to be built at Fourth and Market streets.

Work on the 16-floor precast concrete, brick and glass university tower is expected to start in October and take two years.

The university, which opened in August with a class of 110, is expected to combine state money and bond financing to pay for the project.

Kohn said the Harrisburg School District is buying SciTech High by using funds from bond deals done in 2003 and 2006 to raise money for districtwide renovations.

Kohn said the district has borrowed about $149 million over the years to pay for the building upgrades, and he said the eventual purchase of the SciTech building was part of the long-range facilities plan.

The purchase of the building will take place over 18 months with a series of payments totaling about $2.5 million each, Kohn said. The first payment is due Oct. 1.

By the time the final payment is made, the university's tower should be ready, freeing more space at SciTech.

SciTech began downtown in August 2003 as a partnership between city schools and the university. The application-only program has about 370 students, but it could grow once it no longer shares space with the university.

Kohn said buying the building would strain the district's already-tight 2006-07 budget, which had to be reduced by $5.4 million, but payments will be made from bond funds, requiring no money from the operating budget.

In fact, with the school district owning the building, Harrisburg will be able to apply for state reimbursement for up to 40 percent of the purchase price, Kohn said.

The board of control decided last night to temporarily delay another real estate deal, putting off a vote on a proposal to market the Thomas Morris Chester building at 3219 Green St.

The district wants to sell the eight-room school, formerly known as the Riverside building, for $750,000. But Kohn said last-minute legal questions delayed listing the building for sale.

Kohn said he expects the building will be put on the market soon.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 12:38 PM

Thought I'd throw in my two cents on the whole 'retail in Harrisburg' issue. If you think about it, Harrisburg seems to be playing catch-up, and actually getting to the point where it should be on the retail development side of things. For just one example, think back 2 years...there was only one Target in the Harrisburg metro area - now there will be 4 (counting Carlisle). This is just an example of the base retail getting to the level it should be. Now we are starting to see more specialty retail moving in - can anyone honestly say that 5 years ago, they would have expected Wegmans or Banana Repuplic to have stores in the H'burg area? The Wegmans plaza will have some new retail to the area, and there are other projects on the horizon - Clock Tower Grove, H'burg Mall Lifestyle Center (Which I wont get into here), Capital City mall redevelopment. I think you'll start to see more and more specialty stores pop up. I've heard lots of chatter about a Whole Foods coming sometime soon, and some other projects on the horizon. Like anything around here, it takes some time, but honestly, I drive all over the state for my job (including Philly and Pittsburgh area) and no matter where you go, a strip mall is a strip mall is a strip mall. Their Big Box areas are just like ours. The specialty retail that is in those bigger areas is slowly trickling in to Harrisburg, and that too will catch up to where it should be. I think a bigger issue than what is in the suburbs is what can be done about retail downtown, which will hopefully come around and improve in the Cap city. Just some thoughts.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 12:38 PM
Me?!?

LOL what?!? Little did I know I would have my proof just a few articles later! They have money to buy Sci-Tech HS yet no money to fill much needed positions?!? I hate saying it, but Harrisburg is really a mess!

HARRISBURG

School district eliminates 68 jobs

Friday, July 28, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The Harrisburg School District last night eliminated 68 teaching and administrative positions, but no one is losing his or her job.

As part of trimming $5.4 million from the 2006-07 budget, the Harrisburg School District Board of Control slashed vacant positions and engineered a series of employee transfers to fill other posts.

The job cuts include about 30 teaching positions, a move that will increase average class sizes to about 24 students, from 22 students.

Also gone are spots for an assistant superintendent, one principal, three assistant principals and a dean.

Before the cuts, the district had 760 teachers and 113 administrative staff members.

To pare down to its new $129.6 million spending limit for this school year, the 10,000-student district also slashed about $1.8 million in nonpersonnel costs, involving contracted services, equipment, training and transportation.

The cuts were necessary because Harrisburg's original $134.7 million spending plan was based on getting an additional $20 million in state money beyond its basic subsidy. But the district only got an extra $14.6 million.

The school system already locked in its tax rates, which haven't gone up in six years.

"The district is now expected to do more with less, which is a challenge," said Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who oversees the city schools. "But nothing has changed in the absolute commitment of the district to provide full educational opportunity and preparation to ensure that every child has a bright and promising future."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2006, 2:26 AM
joining the rail club

Klingy04...i couldn't agree with you more. great points!

Dave...i also agree with you...the city school district is ridiculous. the board of control should be prioritizing the needs of it's entire student body...vs. spending millions to purchase another building it doesn't have to.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 3:05 PM
Me?!?

Well I went back to HBG over the weekend to visit family. My thoughts:
  • Driving the other way on Paxton St. is exactly what I thought it would be: weird! LOL But they did a fantastic job with it and I think it is going to help out that area a lot. It is also VERY nice to see there will be new lights at 283/Eisenhower Blvd. where there were just stop signs before...that was a death trap!
  • The new lanes on 283 to get onto the Turnpike are AWESOME and traffic flows much smoother there now!
  • The new shopping center is utter crap. They had a great chance to build something halfway decent and instead they built yet another boring cookie-cutter strip mall (with a parking lot 10X the size than what is needed too). I'm not asking for much, just a lifestyle center or whatever you wish to call them like you find in Maryland. At the end of the day a strip mall is a strip mall, but at least TRY to make it better! SCPA is taking sprawl to a whole new, disgusting level for sure.
  • I agree with harrisburger and State St. is coming along nicely, and I really like what they did to the street in the area.
  • I simply cannot believe all of the businesses in the HBG area (the 'burbs) that are now out of business! I don't think I have ever seen so many empty stores in prime locations. What is going on?!?
It was definitely good to be back and see what has been going on! But like here in Philly, all of the recent crime was the topic of the town which was very sad to hear. And then in today's paper we have:

Midtown residents try to avoid crime surge

Monday, July 31, 2006
BY CARRIE CASSIDY
Of The Patriot-News

Bret Green remembers hosing down the Broad Street Market floor last winter to clean off blood that had seeped in from outside.

A man had been shot to death near the market's doors in January. The fire department washed away the blood outside, but it found its way into the market, said Green, a maintenance worker.

In the months since, Green's normally peaceful midtown neighborhood has experienced a surge in crime. The frequency of muggings, drug dealing and burglaries in the past six months has spiked so much that some residents in the area, a few blocks from Front Street, said they are scared to leave their homes at night.

"When I'm done working, I go home and don't come out," said Green, 48, a lifelong city resident. "Me and my wife, Gwen, we want to get away from this."

Police have bolstered their presence in midtown, an area bordered by Forster, Maclay, Front and Seventh streets. Patrols with dogs have been added. Mayor Stephen R. Reed has moved seven officers from desk duty to patrol and sent 12 more officers to train at Harrisburg Area Community College and begin patrolling city streets later this summer.

Some residents said they are not leaving it to chance or to the police to protect them from criminals. Many interviewed yesterday said they aren't leaving their homes at night. Neighborhood crime-watch groups are stepping up, too.

Green said he's changed some of his habits to make him less attractive to would-be robbers.

"I don't carry cash on me. This is what I carry," he said, pulling out a debit card. "They won't get any money from me."

The management company that runs Madelle Pierce's apartment building recently hired a security guard, the first one since she moved to Linden Terrace about four years ago.

Pierce, 45, said she's heard stories from friends and residents who have been robbed.

"A couple people got robbed in broad daylight near here. It doesn't make me feel safe. It makes me feel scared," she said, adding that she is happy to have a guard stationed at the entrance of the building.

A few blocks away, Jay Steinas, 36, stood in front of his home in the 1300 block of Green Street. He noted several security improvements, such as motion-detecting spotlights, that he made to his house -- but a bit too late.

Although he has a home-security system, someone recently broke into his home in midafternoon, taking not much more than his laptop computer. Steinas said he has become more diligent about using his deadbolt lock since the burglary.

"I know burglaries can happen anywhere at any time. It just sucks it happened here," he said. "There's been so many in such a short amount of time."

Rick Mitchal, 27, blames the crime surge on drug addicts looking for money to feed their habits. He said a friend's sister, who lives between Second and Third streets, was victimized recently by a man who entered her home, performed a sex act in front of her and demanded money.

"He didn't hurt her or anything. He wanted money," Mitchal said as he rode his bicycle up Verbeke Street from City Island. "People are getting hooked on crack or heroin, and they're trying to get whatever they can from people."

Sitting on his friend's porch on Second Street, John Jackson, 40, of the Allison Hill neighborhood, said a greater police presence isn't the only thing that can be done to halt the recent crime wave. He wants a large recreation center with sports courts and arcade games built in the city.

Jackson said kids need a place to be kids. They are forced to grow up too fast, learning hard lessons on the streets, he said.

"They shouldn't be learning about runnin' and duckin' from bullets," he said. "Every kid has a dream. They should have the chance to live out that dream as a child."

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 1:32 PM
Me?!?

I am guessing the Capitol View Commerce Center mentioned at the end of the article is one of the first new office complexes in the Northern Gateway Project?

THE RACE FOR SPACE

Area office vacancy rates signal strength in market

Tuesday, August 01, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

Post & Schell, a Phila delphia-based law firm, is among the companies grabbing a bigger share of the tight market for office space in downtown Harrisburg.

The firm will keep its offices on the 12th floor of the Market Square Plaza building. But, as it announced in the spring, it needs more room. So in August, it will expand into 4,600 square feet on the 14th floor, said Ken Sable, a partner with Post & Schell. The firm has 18 attorneys in the downtown office and plans to hire more.

At 2 percent, the vacancy rate for premium Class A downtown office space is lower than anywhere else in the area, according to a quarterly analysis of market trends by Thomas T. Posavec, a vice president at Landmark Commercial Realty Inc. in Wormleysburg.

The vacancy rate for office space in the area, including the city and both East and West shores, generally remains below the national average.

Office vacancy rates nationwide in the second quarter -- April through June -- averaged 12.2 percent for downtown areas and 14.6 percent for suburban areas, according to a report by CB Richard Ellis.

Sable would not say how much Post & Schell is paying for the new space. He confirmed that the price is within the current asking rent of between $16.75 and $22 per square foot for premium downtown office space, as cited in the Posavec report.

West Shore improves:

Elsewhere, the picture isn't as strong.

The vacancy rate for premium office space on the West Shore is 15 percent, according to Posavec. That marks steady improvement going back to the second quarter of 2005, when the vacancy rate was 22 percent.

In an analysis accompanying his report, Posavec predicts that demand for premium West Shore office space will increase and the vacancy rate will continue to decline.

Whether such optimism holds remains to be seen.

In a report for the Pennsylvania Association of Realtors, Jacob De Rooy, an economist at Penn State Harrisburg, predicted growth will slow the rest of this year and into 2007. The slowdown could be more pronounced depending on what happens with energy prices.

He also anticipates a slight increase in unemployment, which has hovered at about 4 percent in central Pennsylvania.

Such factors are bound to influence business decisions that affect the commercial real estate market, such as whether to expand, delay an expansion or downsize, De Rooy noted.

Bill Gladstone, a commercial real estate agent with NAI/CIR, sees signs of a slowdown in the commercial market.

"There's fewer tenants vying for more available space," Gladstone said. "Instead of four to five properties to show, I have eight or nine to show."

Posavec also said he is concerned about a lack of new businesses in the area. Growth would help if oversupply of space becomes a problem.

"I think we could use some more demand than what we have right now. The buying and acquisition has tempered a bit, although prices are still going up," Posavec said about the commercial market.

Gladstone is seeing more use of incentives to nail down leases. With one involving 20,000 square feet, he said, the building owner is offering the first three months free to lock in a seven-year deal.

But the market still has plenty of opportunities, said Greg Rothman, president and CEO of RSR Realtors.

"If you're driving 100 miles an hour and you slow to 75, it looks like a 25-percent slowdown, but the reality is you are still going over the speed limit," he said.

Rothman's firm is developing 100,000 square feet of Class A space at Capitol View Commerce Center at 1000 N. Cameron St. The space is being offered at a below-market rate of $13.75 per square foot during construction.

"We're competing with the downtown locations," Rothman said. The center is close to the Capitol and offers more on-site parking than most competitors, he noted.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 1:01 PM
Me?!?

So there could be 30 screens basically right across the street from each other?!? Yeah, okay.

Work on theater complex begins

Wednesday, August 02, 2006
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

Ground was broken yesterday for a 14-screen movie theater at Harrisburg Mall. It is the first of what could be two major theater projects within a few miles of each other in Swatara Twp.

The theater complex is the focal point of a second round of renovations at the 900,000-square-foot mall. The Great Escape Theatres will be visible along the Route 441 side of the mall, between the Hecht's and Boscov's anchor stores.

Larry Feldman, chairman and CEO of mall owner Feldman Mall Properties Inc., said the theaters are the "epitome of what we shoot for at all of our mall redevelopments."

Feldman Mall Properties specializes in buying underperforming shopping malls and turning them around.

The company bought Harrisburg Mall in late 2003 and has spent about $50 million to renovate the property and bring in Bass Pro Shops and Boscov's as anchor stores.

Feldman said the movie theaters will expand the reach of the mall beyond the immediate area.

"We expect that many people will drive from considerable distances to frequent the mall," he said.

The theaters, operated by Aliance Management, are scheduled to open before Christmas next year, Feldman said.

Another theater complex in Swatara Twp. is planned by the partners who own the High Pointe Commons shopping center. They have submitted plans for a 16-screen theater on five acres next to the shopping center that is scheduled to open in October along Lindle Road off Route 283. Target and J.C. Penney will anchor that center.

Steve Evans of High Real Estate Group, one of the joint partners, said the theater complex should open in late spring or early summer next year. He said development plans for the project might be considered by Swatara Twp. commissioners next Wednesday.

"If they want to build, fine," Feldman said. "We're not deterred one iota."

Feldman said the Great Escape multiplex is part of a $30 million-plus addition to Harrisburg Mall. He said other tenants are expected to be announced within 90 days.

Feldman said he is looking for "very high-demand, powerful-drawing anchor tenants that will really upscale the mall and really bring in a customer from a great distance." He said he's looking to add "big boxes" in front of the mall that would be accessible from both outside and inside the mall.

Alexander Building Construction LLC of Harrisburg is the construction manager for the theater complex. SPG3 of Philadelphia is the architect.

The theater will feature stadium seating, digital projector systems, marble floors and state-of-the art technology, Feldman said.

Great Escape opened a 10-screen theater last month at Lebanon Valley Mall.

Area jobless rate declines in June

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The unemployment rate in the Harrisburg area dropped to 3.7 percent in June, from 3.9 percent in May.

The area -- Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties -- continued to have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state.

The Lebanon and State College areas were tied in June for the lowest jobless rate in the state at 3.4 percent.

The rate in the Lancaster area was 3.5 percent, and in the York-Hanover area it was 3.9 percent.

The statewide unemployment rate in June was 4.7 percent, and the national rate was 4.6 percent.

The number of jobs in the Harrisburg area totaled 333,900 in June, an increase of 1,100 from May and up 5,700, or 1.7 percent, from a year earlier.

Manufacturing jobs totaled 24,900 in June, an increase of 100 from May but down 400 from a year ago.

Manufacturing wages in the area averaged $16.25 an hour, compared with $15.36 statewide. The average manufacturing work week in the Harrisburg area was 39 hours, compared with 41 hours statewide.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 10:41 PM
joining the rail club

i really hope that all this new "movie theater" construction will eventually bring prices down. 9 bucks for a movie is ridiculous!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 8:04 AM

if you can get a chance, the latest issue of harrisburg magazine has a good article on mayor reed. it has a lot of info on the southern gateway project with some decent sized pictures. can't wait for this one to get started

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 5:49 PM
Me?!?

Sadly, Chris, I doubt it! And then the movie industry wonders why its box offices are suffering LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisburger
if you can get a chance, the latest issue of harrisburg magazine has a good article on mayor reed. it has a lot of info on the southern gateway project with some decent sized pictures. can't wait for this one to get started
Is there any way someone could scan and post these pics? You can't get Harrisburg magazine around here unfortunately and by the time I am back in town, that issue will be long gone...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 8:58 AM

unfortunately, i'm out of the country until the 19th....when i get back i have a few days before i leave for school, so i'll try to scan them then.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 2:34 PM
Me?!?

Thanks, harrisburger, and I hope you are having fun wherever you are!

Okay it's official: the city has totally lost its mind! Who puts 1100 fish in a pool for a fishing derby?!?!? The river is so close, why not build an enclosure so the fish can't get out and do it there. All the ones that aren't caught, you can release where they belong...you know, NOT in the Jackson-Lick pool!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE
2 Aug 2006
CITY FISHING DERBY SET FOR SEPT. 16, 17 & 18 AT JACKSON LICK POOL

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today announced that the City of Harrisburg’s Eighth Annual “Get Hooked on Fishing Derby” will be held at the Jackson-Lick Pool at 1201 N. 6th Street during the weekend of September 16-18, 2006. The popular free fishing derby is open to youth only on Saturday, September 16, with families, seniors and special needs groups permitted on Sunday and Monday, September 17 and 18.

The Mayor said youth attending Saturday’s special youth Fishing Derby are given the opportunity to learn how to fish, and catch up to two of the more than 1100 twelve-inch Striped Bass that will be stocked in the pool. The first 500 participants will receive gifts and be eligible for fishing tackle combos and recreational prizes. The free daylong event begins with an 8:30 a.m. registration, followed by the 9 a.m. Derby.

Reed said the Saturday program is structured so that either a family member or volunteer mentor will accompany each young person casting a line, with experienced volunteers on-hand to bait hooks and give beginner lessons. The PA Fish and Boat Commission and the PA Dept. of Agriculture will provide free equipment for youth not having their own. The Youth Derby includes a visit from Park C. Squirrel, the city’s popular parks mascot, as well as arts, crafts and food.

The pool is also stocked with 30 tagged fish representing various city celebrities and other community leaders, with anglers hooking them receiving special prizes.

In addition to Saturday’s Youth Derby, the Mayor said the free fishing will continue on Sunday and Monday for adults and seniors. Sunday’s activities include Family Fishing from 9 a.m. to Noon, and Seniors Only Fishing from Noon to 4 p.m. Seniors are invited back again on Monday from 9 a.m. to Noon, with Special Groups Fishing set for Noon to 4 p.m. Organized groups must contact the city Parks and Recreation Department for advance reservations for Monday’s free fishing.

In all cases, there is a two-fish per person limit, noted the Mayor.

“Our goal is twofold,” said the Mayor. “Not only do the we want to encourage and educate our youth about the sport of fishing, we also want them to have an opportunity to spend quality time with a family member or other adult.”

Reed said the event is sponsored by the City of Harrisburg and is coordinated by the city’s Department of Parks and Recreation. The city is joined by cosponsors the state Dept. of Agriculture, Capital City Bass Masters, Blue Moon Fishing Club and Susquehanna Aquacultures.

Additional information on the Derby and advance registration forms may be obtained by contacting the Department of Parks and Recreation at (717) 233.7403.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 12:21 AM

Blast From the Past

This is my first time trying to post a picture, so hopefully it will work.

Looking at another thread got me thinking about this building, and I was able to find this picture online. It's so sad that the whole Forum Place couldn't have been built. I was young then, and I remember being really excited when they started, but then they just stopped after the first phase. The thing is, the structural base is there to complete the whole building. I haven't followed all the drama regarding the building and who owns it over the years, but anyone think there's ever a chance this will be built, assuming the owner has the money and there's the demand for office space?

Think of how nice it would be to have a building like that as the tallest in the city....what could have been.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 3:09 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH
Looking at another thread got me thinking about this building, and I was able to find this picture online. It's so sad that the whole Forum Place couldn't have been built. I was young then, and I remember being really excited when they started, but then they just stopped after the first phase. The thing is, the structural base is there to complete the whole building. I haven't followed all the drama regarding the building and who owns it over the years, but anyone think there's ever a chance this will be built, assuming the owner has the money and there's the demand for office space?

Think of how nice it would be to have a building like that as the tallest in the city....what could have been.
Ah yes, Forum Place, another fine example of the typical waste of an opportunity due to silly politics and lack of vision in Harrisburg! HHH, Forum Place is (was?) owned by Dauphin County after Vartan got out of it. They mismanaged it so bad and made some bad, bad business decisions and the building became upside down on what its worth vs. what is owed. Last I heard, the state, their largest tenant at the time, allowed them to sell and/or float some bonds or something to be able to put the building up for sale. A private developer was looking into buying it and then...I have no idea what happened because I lost track trying to sift through all of the mud! It is a VERY complex issue and I have no idea where it all stands now.

I hope someone decides to finish the building one day because it could be a wonderful masterpiece and has the opportunity to be the tallest building between Pittsburgh and Philly! The demand for office space is certainly there so that isn't even an issue. Heck, HBG Univ. could even use some of it in years to come. But like many things in Harrisburg, the real question is will something like this ever be allowed to happen? In my lifetime, very doubtful...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 3:12 AM
joining the rail club

^that's a great picture HHH...i too wish it could have been built to it's grandest height of 42 floors...in the 250m ballpark. it would be by far the cities largest building and would have been seen for miles outside of downtown. what an impact it would have made. maybe someday i guess.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 6:13 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

It is ashame that building wasn't constructed.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 1:06 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Let's try this again, I believe that the building is currently under the control of the bankruptcy court, who appointed a trustee (Vartan, before he passed away) to manage the building on behalf of the creditors. The building is most likely still owned by the authority, because the creditors hav'nt forced a sale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations