HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:50 AM

Advertising on Transit

In Japan at the moment, and one thing that really hit me while riding transit over here is how they monetize everything. I swear, there's ads on the roof, the floor, the sides, even on the handles hanging from the ceiling and the stairs out from the station. Any reason we don't have that kind of revenue exploitation over here besides the fact that a ton of people would probably complain about the eyesore? =\

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:04 AM
See ya down under, mates

Possibly because there aren't as many companies wanting to purchase advertising on every last corner.

I'd like to believe we'd have better restraint too. Sometimes it's not worth it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Advertising actually isn't much of a revenue generator in terms of using it on transit.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:11 AM

Well its an income source isn't it? Dunno, from what I'm seeing Translink needs all the money it can get. And it is a *lot* of ad placement we are talking about, even pennies each it adds up lol.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:40 PM

even London has loads of advertising

along the walls of the escaltors they have little framed ads - we could use those - especially at granville

overall I find advertising to be lacking in the city in general compared to other cities I've been to - its kind of nice to have lerss visual clutter but there are so many things that could be done that aren't done here

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
even London has loads of advertising

along the walls of the escaltors they have little framed ads - we could use those - especially at granville

overall I find advertising to be lacking in the city in general compared to other cities I've been to - its kind of nice to have lerss visual clutter but there are so many things that could be done that aren't done here
It's very hard to set up advertising in housing areas, not many people would see it anyways. We can set it up along highways or along the skytrain, there's more exposure. One thing that I don't get is why wouldn't they set billboards up along lanes going into and out of hte airport.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure