HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Construction is underway!
8/10/11

It looks like they are surveying, but have also built an access road next to the I-5 onramp along Harbor Dr. The vacant lot next to it and the electrical substation has a large collection of rail and railroad construction equipment, which is probably for streetcar and/or Max construction.

All pics taken by me

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 4:25 AM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:46 PM

In-water work window closing for light-rail bridge
POSTED: Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 03:05 PM PT
BY: Angela Webber
Daily Journal of Commerce

Since July 1, crews have worked to set the stage for construction of the Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Bridge. Now the curtain will rise, so to speak, for the main attraction.

Monday marks the end of the window that allows crews to work in the Willamette River. The deadline also marks the beginning of the project’s next phase, when the bridge itself will begin to take shape.

For the past few months, work has focused on preparing a staging area. Crews recently completed cofferdams – giant tubs in the water to hold workers so that they don’t disturb the rest of the river. Installation of the cofferdams involved drilling and installing piles that extended into layers of sand and gravel underwater. The steel piles support the “walls” of the cofferdams, which can be drained so work can take place inside more easily.

“When we’re working in the cofferdam we’re not interfering with marine life around the bridge, so we can work year-round,” said Ralph Salamie, project sponsor with the bridge’s design-build contractor, Kiewit Infrastructure West. It has a $118.9 million fixed-price contract for the bridge construction.

Crews also took advantage of the summer in-water work window to install pillars to support temporary work bridges that provide access to the cofferdam sites. It was critical for crews to meet the deadline, said Robert Barnard, a project director for TriMet.

“You don’t want to miss the in-water work window. You want to be done on time,” he said. “You make it, or you lose a year.”

To ensure that didn’t happen, crews planned ahead. They even prepared for the unexpected.

“The key to any operation is detailed planning,” Salamie said. “The other key is to plan for the what-ifs.”

Kiewit and TriMet planned for only one shift, Mondays through Fridays. They left weekends open for catch-up, Barnard said.

“We used most Saturdays and a few Sundays, but we were able to work a single shift and not have to work through the night,” Salamie said.

Occasionally, crews encountered some surprises, but they are to be expected, Barnard said, when drilling takes place underwater. When installing piles, crews found that they needed to hammer through surfaces harder than expected, or dig holes deeper than anticipated. Some piles planned to go only 100 feet deep ended up being up to 140 feet deep, Barnard said.

“It’s a challenge to estimate what the conditions are below the water,” Salamie said. “We have to react quickly (and) get some more material, and we’re back on schedule.”

Crews have only one more task to complete before the in-water work window closes. They are installing “scour protection,” which means dumping heavy rock on the bottom of the river around the cofferdams in order to reduce the amount of sand and sediment at the bottom of the river that will be lifted up by the current.

Because the cofferdams present an obstacle to the flow of the river, water can kick up whatever is lying on the floor. Scour protection provides a heavy protective shield to mitigate the cofferdams’ disturbance, Barnard said.

Salamie said he is looking forward to Monday.

“But it’s just the beginning,” he said. “It’s just the end of the beginning.”

With staging areas essentially in place, crews will dig deeper drill shafts to install the piles that will support the bridge. These piles go deeper than the ones supporting the cofferdams, down to the Troutdale Formation. It’s a layer of compressed cobblestone and rock that Barnard calls “God’s own concrete” because of its natural hardness and stability.

Once those piles are installed, crews will pour a concrete “pile cap” on each tower.

Then the bridge will start to appear, Barnard said.

“Now we’re going to start building a bridge,” he said.

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/10/27...t-rail-bridge/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:32 AM

I have an odd question that has a .01% chance of becoming reality. Why is light rail preferable to an aerial tram? For both LRT and streetcar actually. Isn't it the least expensive per mile cost of all fixed transit options?

I know of the brouhaha over our first aerial tram, but that had mostly to do with nativity and geological issues.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:43 AM

Well, I'm sure capacity is lower for a tram than for LRT or even Streetcar. But I'll bet it's far cheaper. And in some places it might actually be a pretty good solution. OHSU->PSU, for example, would probably work pretty well.

Here's a recent example

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:53 AM

I guess naiveity isn't a word, (or I'm spelling it wrong) but I certainly didn't mean nativity...

Anyway, I remember some news stories a few years ago about turning the passenger compartment of retired airplanes into new trams that would run above the I5 from downtown to Vancouver. The refurbished plane/tram compartment could hold a hundred or so each.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:18 PM

Someone forward a video to me that makes me think that better alternatives do exist to some rail lines. I question some of it but it makes me wonder if more alternatives need to be looked at.

The $1.5 Billion Alternative to Milwaukie's Light Rail:

http://youtu.be/usyUzlhHfe4

I too saw the airplane on wires idea and it was cool.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoelaces View Post
Someone forward a video to me that makes me think that better alternatives do exist to some rail lines. I question some of it but it makes me wonder if more alternatives need to be looked at.

nice video, I saw one on the CRC that made much more sense of creating multiple crossing that effected all forms of transportation rather than just one highway bridge for about half the cost.

I still like the idea of a rail line to Milwaukie simply because I would like to see much of Portland's rail expanded as much as possible.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:00 AM

The video was created by the Cascade Policy Institute. It's not a good video, it's a propaganda video. They 'forgot' to factor in things like current average fuel cost to run their buses, labor and land in building the BRT lanes, the cost of maintenance supplies, labor contracts and prevailing wage issues, as well as the costs of stations instead of the single pole signs, that BRT requires. Etc. etc. etc.

Any statistic can be spun favorably to your point of view, unfortunately the CPI takes to many liberties in presenting 'facts.'

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoelaces View Post

That video is by the Cascade Policy Institute. They're libertarians who hate transit. Did you see any actual numbers? I didn't; just a claim that for the price of MLR they could do all that for 150 years. 10 million a year? For all those fancy buses (which would have to be replaced in 15 years), the drivers and maintenance people.

If Cascade Policy Institute truly believed what they claim to believe, they would advocate for LRT, because, while capital costs are high, operating costs are low. You only need one union-benefited driver per train, and each train can probably carry the same number as at least four, and probably six, of those buses. Besides, buses get stuck in traffic. But Cascade Policy Institute is a sham; they claim - like Fox News - to offer a "fair" and "balanced" alternative, when in fact they're advocating for a system that would cost far more to operate. In fact, they're despicable.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:40 PM

[QUOTE]But Cascade Policy Institute is a sham; they claim - like Fox News - to offer a "fair" and "balanced" alternative, when in fact they're advocating for a system that would cost far more to operate. In fact, they're despicable./QUOTE]

Thank you -- took the words right out of my mouth.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:56 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The video was created by the Cascade Policy Institute. It's not a good video, it's a propaganda video. They 'forgot' to factor in things like current average fuel cost to run their buses, labor and land in building the BRT lanes, the cost of maintenance supplies, labor contracts and prevailing wage issues, as well as the costs of stations instead of the single pole signs, that BRT requires. Etc. etc. etc.

Any statistic can be spun favorably to your point of view, unfortunately the CPI takes to many liberties in presenting 'facts.'
Thanks for the heads up. I almost clicked on the video, but noting the Cascade Policy Institute allowed me to satisfactorily avoid it. To say they are a worthless "institute" would be a complement. They are a pro-car/highway lobby, plain and simple.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 6:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I almost clicked on the video, but noting the Cascade Policy Institute allowed me to satisfactorily avoid it.
Well, its also not a very good video.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 8:32 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I guess naiveity isn't a word, (or I'm spelling it wrong) but I certainly didn't mean nativity....
It's spelled 'naivete', and yes, it's a real word. Great for a spelling bee, and you even used it correctly in a sentence. :-)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/naivet%c3%a9

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 1:30 AM

Just saw on the news about a group trying to get a measure on the Clackamas County ballot that opposes the light rail line to Milwaukie. They believe it'll bring crime to Clackamas County...

They're trying to stop construction.

OH NOEZ PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

Last edited by Derek; Dec 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 6:50 AM
Karma Police

Same whack jobs who were in the paper a few weeks ago, no doubt. Great, so they oppose it. So how are they gonna stop it... it's already under construction.

F***ing morons

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 6:59 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Obviously, buses will be better than the "CRIME TRAIN!!!!"

(note that you must use 4 separate exclamation marks when using the Max's nickname)

</end ironic humor>

Last edited by zilfondel; Dec 29, 2011 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:20 AM

I live near enough to one of the MLR stops that I just hope my rent doesn't skyrocket from the MAX opening up near here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 2:41 PM

I believe there is a study that showed rents increasing an average of 4% near light rail stations in Denver. It will be interesting to see if they go up here PRIOR to the line opening.

There are also a few "for sale" developments near planned stations that have begun to attract some investment.

I don't know if the recently announced 2-bedroom townhomes in West Moreland that are projected to sell for $300,000 are in response to Max or not, but I do think the modern homes being built near the last stop in Milwaukie are attracting early adopters at around $200,000.

I would expect to see some subsidized units near stations too.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 11:32 PM

Update from 12-31-2011:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure