HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:41 AM

Queensborough Upgrades Discussion | Complete

has anyone been out there since they changed the flow on june 23rD?

its way crazy

its still under construction but they have changed the flow and directions completely and its quite confusing and annoying when other drivers aren't looking at the signs - how on earth someone can miss the flashing signs, the bright signs that tell you of changes... i don't know it couldn't be more obvious but they still freak out and cause near accidents..

anyway has anyone tried it? how does it compare to the old way?

I've been through - its not too bad but a west bound lane is now an east bound lane its kinda weird

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:43 AM

you can see some renderings and info here if you are not familiar...

http://www.bip.gov.bc.ca/hwy91/c-open-house.htm

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:53 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

ya they did an amazing job......with Falcon in charge we are actually getting SAFE......FUNCTIONAL......infrastructure! Imagine that for BC

GO FALCON GO!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:53 AM
BANNED

i love it... absolutely brilliant lol... the worst part was the turn to and from marine west from the bridge... it was a circular loop and it was sometimes scary if the oncoming vehicle was too close lol... much safer now... all they need is a center median.... and the overpass is also good...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:23 AM
Yellow Fever

I use that bridge every day and I think the new interchange is going to be really nice once it finish. Imo the bridge itself should be replaced with a wider one or twinned because the traffic during the rush hours is really back up!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:23 AM
Vancouver Moderator

i thought the addition of the pedestrian overpass is great although I would never use it.... especially coming with pounds of clothes from the outlets >=P

But yeah at the moment, it's confusing alright. What BC, okay maybe not as ambitions, Vancouver needs to do is to standardize all highway signs. This is what I like about American Highways. They are generally the same and they try to maintain highway/exit instructions whenever possible. Not always, but most of the time.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Hopefully it'll be better when its finished. Right now its confusing as hell.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:51 AM

I drive through that interchange often and I agree as it is right now it is pretty crazy. I never anticipated all those overpasses and ramps and I also agree that the new design is light years ahead of the old one. The loops on the old interchange were very sketchy on a good day let alone a Friday or Saturday night.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:07 AM
BANNED

they are still working on it and yeah... so i assume things will change again...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest2k View Post
Hopefully it'll be better when its finished. Right now its confusing as hell.
Hey, we agree on something!

You know when you come off the bridge and want to drive to 20th Street (or 6th Street), I found that there were to separate access to the new intersection. And then when I was driving back to Seattle (from 20th Street, again), I found myself turning left to New Westminster instead of turning right to the bridge.

Despite that, I think the conditions have really improved and the wider loop ramp is so much better than the old, mini one.

Here are some pictures I took:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 9:21 AM

Yeah ... the new Queensborough interchange configuration certainly makes the north end connections safer and free flow (esp. heading westbound along Stewardson Way)... they just need to place the final lift of pavement inclusive of barriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
ya they did an amazing job......with Falcon in charge we are actually getting SAFE......FUNCTIONAL......infrastructure! Imagine that for BC

GO FALCON GO!
Hmmmmmm... I dunno about that... I'm a little perturbed about another BC MoT project though...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 8:05 PM

yeah once its all done it should be great - as it is its a great improvement

its just so weird to be driving in the same lane as before but the opposite direction now

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 12:36 AM
A.H.-Ha!

Aww... there goes my left turn from eastbound Marine Way onto 20th St.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:30 PM

going westbound from 6th ave you have to turn onto 20th to get to marine way - if you keep going straight it looks like you hit a dead end and end up having to back track to a main road

and they have made it so its not possible to get to marine way if you don't turn up 20th

basically if you are coming from 6th and you don't take the turn at 20th you are forced to go over the bridge

thats gonna confuse casual users who used to go along marine way

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
has anyone been out there since they changed the flow on june 23rD?

its way crazy

its still under construction but they have changed the flow and directions completely and its quite confusing and annoying when other drivers aren't looking at the signs - how on earth someone can miss the flashing signs, the bright signs that tell you of changes... i don't know it couldn't be more obvious but they still freak out and cause near accidents..

anyway has anyone tried it? how does it compare to the old way?

I've been through - its not too bad but a west bound lane is now an east bound lane its kinda weird
Yup...I was heading west and wanted to take Marine way but ended up on the bridge. Then I decided to take the 91 to Knight street bridge which unfortunately had a 3 car accident, I got stuck, turned on the radio and guess what came on...Highway to hell by ACDC...actually put a smile on my face. Hour and a half later I was back in Vancouver....

So yeah that construction and the Queensborough bridge really screwed me yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Yup...I was heading west and wanted to take Marine way but ended up on the bridge. Then I decided to take the 91 to Knight street bridge which unfortunately had a 3 car accident, I got stuck, turned on the radio and guess what came on...Highway to hell by ACDC...actually put a smile on my face. Hour and a half later I was back in Vancouver....

So yeah that construction and the Queensborough bridge really screwed me yesterday.
They also need to add better signage. Even with the new ones I still had no idea where I was going.

Also, will they straigten out the ramp(s) from the bridge to 20th Street/6th Ave? When I was getting off, I could have swore there was two separate ramps to the same new intersection...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 2:37 AM

There was a news story today on the interchange. I wasn't sure if they were saying that the whole interchange is now complete or if they were just talking about a bike overpass that is now complete.

I don't usually get to that part of the world very often. Does anyone have any insight into whether the project is done or not?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 2:59 AM
Yellow Fever

I use that bridge every day and as far as I can see the interchange is completed and the overpass seem to be done as well, but I don't think it is opened yet for there isn't any pedestrian or cyclist using it .

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 5:34 AM

Thanks.

I guess the story was about the bike overpass opening today then. Look forward to see how they've improved that area.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 5:50 AM

The segment on BCTV (oops, I mean Global) was about the opening of the entire interchange; New West MLA Chuck Pucksomethingorother was on moaning about how much traffic originating outside of New Westminster travels through New Westminster, guess it sucks to be in the geographical centre of the Lower Mainland...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure