HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:16 PM

Here's a map of the detours for the BC Parkway renovation work:

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu..._map_2014.ashx

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:17 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
A couple of years ago I decided to go all in and bought myself a cape and rain overpants to use while biking in inclement weather. They're very effective, but a bit of a pain to put on and take off.

What's interesting is that in the "wet" months I only find myself having to resort to using them about 10% of the time. My observation is that it's not quite as wet in Vancouver as a lot of people seem to think. Yes, we get a lot of rain. But most of the time I find that the rain isn't really that bad. It's more of a psychological problem than an actual real issue.

And I'd also like to point out that those bike racks on the buses are a real boon too. I know that you don't see bikes on them all that often, but there have to be a lot of riders like me who take their bikes out because they know they can make the return trip on transit if they really need to. I've done a lot of rides based on that capability, but have never actually had to use it. In fact the only time I had to resort to using a bus bike rack was an unplanned occasion when I suffered a flat tire.

So don't judge the value of those racks based solely their actual usage - they make many bike trips possible that people might otherwise not take, even if they don't actually use them.
Agree 100%. After 1 year in Lower Mainland: Not as rainy as expected. Can bike all year round. Can bike everywhere due to transit escape route.

Epic.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:07 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
The New West portion has uneven road and driveway crossings with let downs that are narrow and poorly placed with abrupt vertical changes, asphalt cracking and tree roots, a rail crossing with 2-90 degree turns with poor sight lines, vegetation growth issues and there is a lack of signage around the 3rd Street Overpass where the trail ends with a lot of users not knowing to do and ending up riding on Stewardson Way eastbound until Columbia. Also there is a very narrow section along Stewardson Way which is only really a sidewalk which makes it very daunting to ride, especially against traffic where passing trucks are coming at you with a 60-70km/h speed difference.

In Surrey there is a missing section of Greenway from the Patullo Bridge to Scott Road station which unfortunately will be missing until the bridge is replaced and 110 Ave which is the bike route is awful and cyclists can't activate the light at King George. The guidway is close to the trail which blocks the light from King George and there is a section off street which is getting lighting. There is a corner on the hill which is a blind corner that can use some work. The asphalt is in good shape. The intersection with 132nd street can use a reconfiguration as drivers often whip around the corner turning off King George at 50km/hr right over the trail crossing.
Agree, these are indeed the two worst sections of the trail at the moment. Basically everything past 22nd St. station is somewhat ridiculous in terms of wayfinding and safety for most riders, especially those who don't do that part of the Parkway every day. They are so bad, that discussing needed improvements to this part of the route would warrant its own thread.

Some comments on the trail west of 22nd:

-I'm very glad they repaved where they did on the curve south of Edmonds, and on the section parallel to Rumble. These paths were really rooted up and are so much more pleasant to ride now.

-The on-road section on Prenter between Buller and Gilley is in really bad disrepair for cyclists (even by automobile standards! the potholes and bumps are horrible), and the pedestrian path to the side is abysmal--loose, uneven gravel, without enough space between the road and the skytrain beams. Those with wheelchairs, strollers, etc., are basically forced to use the Highland Park Line to reach Edmonds. If we could find a way to connect the multi-use trail all the way to where it picks up again at the end of Irmin, the whole route between Royal Oak and 22nd Station would in my eyes be nearly perfect.

-Between Edmonds and Metrotown Station, there are 4 (four!) road crossings which would be rendered dramatically safer by the addition of pedestrian and/or bike signal buttons: Buller, MacPherson, Royal Oak, and Nelson. Of these, by far the most pressing needs are at Royal Oak and Nelson. This recent article is right on the mark, and while focusing on Royal Oak, it mentions both of them. As it currently stands, the road crossings here are very wide, and very difficult for oncoming traffic to see, even with the big black/white 'pedestrian crossing' signs in place. And on Nelson especially, traffic is especially fast (not quite 'truck route level' speed, but almost). If they could also add bike buttons at the Victory Bikeway crossings on both these streets, that would also be well appreciated.

-The crosswalk/sidewalk solution near Jubilee Cycle/Dominos is really unfortunate. So many conflicts with pedestrians. I wish there were a way to make this better but I can't think of one. Lol.

-Between Metrotown and Patterson, the issue is definitely one of pedestrian congestion, and I am glad Translink is addressing this now. One suggestion I would make for alleviating this, in addition to the path redevelopment and repaving they are doing, would be to add bike buttons on both sides of the intersection of Beresford and Willingdon. In the future, I anticipate Beresford being a lot like Vanness, but on a larger scale, and thus many cyclists will probably want more space to themselves despite what they do to make the paths less congested. At Joyce-Collingwood on Vanness cyclists are actually prohibited from cycling on the 'path' around the station, and so they must use the road and the bike button no matter what after a certain point. Even in the present, offering a similar solution on Beresford will make cyclists' trips faster, since the pedestrian crosswalk connecting the trails across Willingdon is exceptionally slow and busy, and it will likely remain this way no matter what they do to the trails.

-The part of the trail that connects Patterson with Boundary Road through Central Park is really easy to miss. On my first ride I rode right down the long straight path to Kingsway, not realizing that this would put me on a narrow sidewalk with bus stops and heavy traffic all the way to Boundary. I looked in vain for a way to cross Kingsway and continue on to Vanness, since I assumed that was how it continued (otherwise why build the path all the way down to Kingsway so appealingly?). More signage needs to happen around Patterson so that Parkway users know to turn off into the forest rather than going straight.

-Pedestrian access and comfort between Joyce-Collingwood and 29th Avenue Stations is quite dismal at the moment, and unfortunately the paving they are doing just past Joyce won't yet come close to fixing this. Even if you are mobile enough to walk the gravel trails next to the Skytrain fence, as many have pointed out, the isolation behind the trees becomes a safety/sketch issue. If you're in a wheelchair, you're stuck on the roadway itself, with rather steep hills.

-It is still unclear to me how they are going to fix the pedestrian-cyclist conflicts and the circuitous way bikes have to go on the sidewalks to cross Nanaimo, but I am glad they have at least recognized this as a problem and are working on it. This is one of the areas where, opposite the way pedestrians have no real 'trail' to walk on between Joyce and 29th, cyclists come up to whole areas where they are unsure where the 'path' is, and in any case have to dismount and walk around to figure it out. While pedestrians are already on their feet here and have time to seek out the only pedestrian crosswalk, cyclists search in vain to see whether they really have to go down into the mass of skytrain passengers to cross or whether there is some other solution for them to cross the road (which, they discover, there is not). Not a tragedy, but extremely annoying.

-The hills on Gladstone near Nanaimo, and Penticton near 29th, are extremely steep. I'm sure almost scary for some when going down, and nearly impossible for many when going up. I suppose this is inevitable given how much higher Metrotown is than downtown, but I still wish there could be a way for the climb to be more gradual (or maybe there just isn't ). I often find myself climbing up Ontario and then taking the 45th bikeway back to Metrotown, just because of the climb involved in these 2 hills. Too bad.

-The tree roots are really bad right now on the path through John Hendry park. But the park is beautiful. and so are the numerous dogs.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
-The hills on Gladstone near Nanaimo, and Penticton near 29th, are extremely steep. I'm sure almost scary for some when going down, and nearly impossible for many when going up. I suppose this is inevitable given how much higher Metrotown is than downtown, but I still wish there could be a way for the climb to be more gradual (or maybe there just isn't ).
I don't mind going down Gladstone north of the Skytrain line, but I've found a much easier way to go back up again. What you do is to take Findlay / Commercial Street (note - this is the "Street" part of Commercial, not the "Drive" part) and then 22nd Ave. These are all quiet streets with much gentler grades and they have bike-activated signals where they cross Commercial and Victoria Drives.

I sussed this out for myself by perusing the elevation contour lines on the VanMap web site. The further apart the contour lines, the gentler the grade.

Another secret route I use is to bypass Vanness Avenue between Boundary and Slocan in favour of Euclid Avenue (and a few connecting streets at the east end). I dislike Vanness intensely because it is narrow, hilly and IMHO is dangerous because of the very poor sight lines. Euclid is flatter and far wider. Its biggest issues are a lack of bike-controlled signals at Rupert and Earles, although I rarely have to wait for more than a minute to catch a break in traffic. Euclid may be too much of a diversion if you're traveling east <--> west along the parkway, but I approach from the south along Earles anyway so this is actually faster for me.

My last secret route isn't so secret any more because it's recently been turned into the 45th Ave. bikeway.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:37 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
I don't mind going down Gladstone north of the Skytrain line, but I've found a much easier way to go back up again. What you do is to take Findlay / Commercial Street (note - this is the "Street" part of Commercial, not the "Drive" part) and then 22nd Ave. These are all quiet streets with much gentler grades and they have bike-activated signals where they cross Commercial and Victoria Drives.

I sussed this out for myself by perusing the elevation contour lines on the VanMap web site. The further apart the contour lines, the gentler the grade.

Another secret route I use is to bypass Vanness Avenue between Boundary and Slocan in favour of Euclid Avenue (and a few connecting streets at the east end). I dislike Vanness intensely because it is narrow, hilly and IMHO is dangerous because of the very poor sight lines. Euclid is flatter and far wider. Its biggest issues are a lack of bike-controlled signals at Rupert and Earles, although I rarely have to wait for more than a minute to catch a break in traffic. Euclid may be too much of a diversion if you're traveling east <--> west along the parkway, but I approach from the south along Earles anyway so this is actually faster for me.

My last secret route isn't so secret any more because it's recently been turned into the 45th Ave. bikeway.
Thanks for the tips!! I'll try the Findlay and Euclid ideas.

The 45th Ave bikeway is awesome. So much less hilly than Ridgeway, and so much more complete than North Arm Trail. Cheers mate

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:25 PM

So, multi million dollar separated bike lane on Hornby street, and I come across a bicyclist in the car lane.

The MIDDLE of the car lane, to be exact. The car lane right next to the ginormous bike lane.

It was beyond frustrating, no one could get around, cars were honking, no one could turn right on their green arrows because the bicyclist flat out refused to move.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbailey View Post
So, multi million dollar separated bike lane on Hornby street, and I come across a bicyclist in the car lane.

The MIDDLE of the car lane, to be exact. The car lane right next to the ginormous bike lane.

It was beyond frustrating, no one could get around, cars were honking, no one could turn right on their green arrows because the bicyclist flat out refused to move.
solo critical mass?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Yep. And sometimes cars try to use the bike lane - and that is actually illegal.

Every group has its idiots.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:

I've also seen cyclists on the sidewalk NEXT to the Hornby bike lane next to the law courts.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I've also seen cyclists on the sidewalk NEXT to the Hornby bike lane next to the law courts.
I have a lot more problem with bikes that ride on the sidewalk and interfere with pedestrian traffic than with bikes that ride on the road and interfere with vehicular traffic. The latter is, at least, legal. There are times when I "take the lane" and hold up a car or two while riding on the road because I don't feel confident that there's enough room for the car(s) to pass me safely. But that's usually on a narrow bike route or side street and I pull over to let the cars pass as soon as an opportunity presents itself. I rarely have to delay anyone for more than a few seconds. What annoys me is when cars start honking immediately without giving me the same patience they'd afford a vehicle in the same position. Heck, maybe they're just idiots who don't have the patience for other cars, either.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Heck, maybe they're just idiots who don't have the patience for other cars, either.
Highly likely.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:50 AM

"Taking the lane" is totally legal and often recommended.

And there are valid reasons to do it next to a bike path - for example you might be preparing to turn left in the next block or two.

Maybe we need signs like this in Vancouver:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/302616...stream/player/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5baxter View Post

And there are valid reasons to do it next to a bike path - for example you might be preparing to turn left in the next block or two.

difference is there is a separated bike lane, not a bike path. it is understandable if it is some crappy street with almost no shoulder. but when there is a fully paved separated bike lane 3 feet over i get very annoyed to. bike path and separated bike lane are not equal.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
difference is there is a separated bike lane, not a bike path. it is understandable if it is some crappy street with almost no shoulder. but when there is a fully paved separated bike lane 3 feet over i get very annoyed to. bike path and separated bike lane are not equal.
Exactly - Even more reason to take the lane if you want to make a left had turn. You can't move over from the seperated bike lane to the left lane because there is a barrier. This is one of the problem with barrier seperation.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5baxter View Post

A not-uncommon situation why a cyclist may need to ride in the main travel lane when there is an adjacent bike lane present is if there is debris or significant standing water in said lane. This was my experience of riding to and from work today: significant quantities of wet leaves and tree debris (including the remnants of downed branches and even an whole tree that had been hastily cut up and hauled away) from yesterday's wind storm were in the bike lane along Williams Road during my morning commute; in the evening (during a major downpour) the curb area along Shell Road and sections of Williams Road were flooded out with enough water for me to hydroplane and lose control were I to have rode through them at speed.

Now, these are in the context of painted bike lanes and all-but-useless sharrows, not a protect bike lane like we have downtown.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Oct 23, 2014 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
thank you, this is the point I was trying to make. I don't have any problems with people taking a car lane when nothing else is available. But if there is a bike lane, USE IT. Especially if its some super expensive bike lane that they cried for and got on a one of the busier streets downtown

a couple more points, this guy was not turning left, anytime soon at least. He went on for blocks until i had to turn right on Georgia, and he continued going straight.

There were many other cyclists in the bike lane, there was nothing wrong with it.

Guy was just a d-bag I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
Agree, these are indeed the two worst sections of the trail at the moment. Basically everything past 22nd St. station is somewhat ridiculous in terms of wayfinding and safety for most riders, especially those who don't do that part of the Parkway every day. They are so bad, that discussing needed improvements to this part of the route would warrant its own thread.

Some comments on the trail west of 22nd:

-I'm very glad they repaved where they did on the curve south of Edmonds, and on the section parallel to Rumble. These paths were really rooted up and are so much more pleasant to ride now.

-The on-road section on Prenter between Buller and Gilley is in really bad disrepair for cyclists (even by automobile standards! the potholes and bumps are horrible), and the pedestrian path to the side is abysmal--loose, uneven gravel, without enough space between the road and the skytrain beams. Those with wheelchairs, strollers, etc., are basically forced to use the Highland Park Line to reach Edmonds. If we could find a way to connect the multi-use trail all the way to where it picks up again at the end of Irmin, the whole route between Royal Oak and 22nd Station would in my eyes be nearly perfect.

-Between Edmonds and Metrotown Station, there are 4 (four!) road crossings which would be rendered dramatically safer by the addition of pedestrian and/or bike signal buttons: Buller, MacPherson, Royal Oak, and Nelson. Of these, by far the most pressing needs are at Royal Oak and Nelson. This recent article is right on the mark, and while focusing on Royal Oak, it mentions both of them. As it currently stands, the road crossings here are very wide, and very difficult for oncoming traffic to see, even with the big black/white 'pedestrian crossing' signs in place. And on Nelson especially, traffic is especially fast (not quite 'truck route level' speed, but almost). If they could also add bike buttons at the Victory Bikeway crossings on both these streets, that would also be well appreciated.

-The crosswalk/sidewalk solution near Jubilee Cycle/Dominos is really unfortunate. So many conflicts with pedestrians. I wish there were a way to make this better but I can't think of one. Lol.

-Between Metrotown and Patterson, the issue is definitely one of pedestrian congestion, and I am glad Translink is addressing this now. One suggestion I would make for alleviating this, in addition to the path redevelopment and repaving they are doing, would be to add bike buttons on both sides of the intersection of Beresford and Willingdon. In the future, I anticipate Beresford being a lot like Vanness, but on a larger scale, and thus many cyclists will probably want more space to themselves despite what they do to make the paths less congested. At Joyce-Collingwood on Vanness cyclists are actually prohibited from cycling on the 'path' around the station, and so they must use the road and the bike button no matter what after a certain point. Even in the present, offering a similar solution on Beresford will make cyclists' trips faster, since the pedestrian crosswalk connecting the trails across Willingdon is exceptionally slow and busy, and it will likely remain this way no matter what they do to the trails.

-The part of the trail that connects Patterson with Boundary Road through Central Park is really easy to miss. On my first ride I rode right down the long straight path to Kingsway, not realizing that this would put me on a narrow sidewalk with bus stops and heavy traffic all the way to Boundary. I looked in vain for a way to cross Kingsway and continue on to Vanness, since I assumed that was how it continued (otherwise why build the path all the way down to Kingsway so appealingly?). More signage needs to happen around Patterson so that Parkway users know to turn off into the forest rather than going straight.

-Pedestrian access and comfort between Joyce-Collingwood and 29th Avenue Stations is quite dismal at the moment, and unfortunately the paving they are doing just past Joyce won't yet come close to fixing this. Even if you are mobile enough to walk the gravel trails next to the Skytrain fence, as many have pointed out, the isolation behind the trees becomes a safety/sketch issue. If you're in a wheelchair, you're stuck on the roadway itself, with rather steep hills.

-It is still unclear to me how they are going to fix the pedestrian-cyclist conflicts and the circuitous way bikes have to go on the sidewalks to cross Nanaimo, but I am glad they have at least recognized this as a problem and are working on it. This is one of the areas where, opposite the way pedestrians have no real 'trail' to walk on between Joyce and 29th, cyclists come up to whole areas where they are unsure where the 'path' is, and in any case have to dismount and walk around to figure it out. While pedestrians are already on their feet here and have time to seek out the only pedestrian crosswalk, cyclists search in vain to see whether they really have to go down into the mass of skytrain passengers to cross or whether there is some other solution for them to cross the road (which, they discover, there is not). Not a tragedy, but extremely annoying.

-The hills on Gladstone near Nanaimo, and Penticton near 29th, are extremely steep. I'm sure almost scary for some when going down, and nearly impossible for many when going up. I suppose this is inevitable given how much higher Metrotown is than downtown, but I still wish there could be a way for the climb to be more gradual (or maybe there just isn't ). I often find myself climbing up Ontario and then taking the 45th bikeway back to Metrotown, just because of the climb involved in these 2 hills. Too bad.

-The tree roots are really bad right now on the path through John Hendry park. But the park is beautiful. and so are the numerous dogs.
I requested the City of Burnaby to install curb bulge extensions at Nelson Street after an incident where a driver went around the vehicles waiting for the pedestrian and myself and slammed the brakes before hitting the both of us. It is shameful that the cities have to prevent stupidity/dangerous driving but that is what they have to do these days. I would support an automatic licence suspension for idiots caught doing such a maneuver along with hefty fines. It is as bad as drunk driving.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:27 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
I requested the City of Burnaby to install curb bulge extensions at Nelson Street after an incident where a driver went around the vehicles waiting for the pedestrian and myself and slammed the brakes before hitting the both of us. It is shameful that the cities have to prevent stupidity/dangerous driving but that is what they have to do these days. I would support an automatic licence suspension for idiots caught doing such a maneuver along with hefty fines. It is as bad as drunk driving.
How do you go about requesting things like that from City of Burnaby?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:01 AM

Not sure yet about NB, but noticed SB Arthur Laing Bridge had its bike lane widened. About 1-2' across the bridge.

A very welcome improvement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure