HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 7:08 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
There are spots in downtown where 1000' would work just fine (I believe Wooster or someone has actually ran the math on this). Including Imperial's lot on 6th Ave.
There's a map kicking around somwhere showing the stepping up of maximum heights. I think it's likely that the Imperial site could manage a 1000' within the shadow by-law - it's quite far away from the river - fully three blocks directly south from Centennial Place which is what, 580' or so?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 7:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Freeweed; I acknowledged the tax breaks, but I don't think the labor is that much less.
Hard to say without applying for the jobs there personally, but anecdotally I can tell you that people don't make $13/hr working at the Timmy's in Detroit.

There are many, many people working in Michigan for a wage that we couldn't conceive of in Calgary. Like $7 or $8/hr. While I don't know what the folks were making in Calgary, I've not met too many people here making that.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 6:00 AM

Freeweed: I just hope something replaces or moves into that facility with some kind of manfacturing.... I'm sure the 600 will eventually find employment.

Last edited by bob1954; Aug 20, 2009 at 6:01 AM. Reason: add word

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 10:18 PM

Talisman to lay off 220 workers.

http://www.citytv.com/calgary/show/n...?showuid=51103

Doesn't surprise me.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:15 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Hard to say without applying for the jobs there personally, but anecdotally I can tell you that people don't make $13/hr working at the Timmy's in Detroit.

There are many, many people working in Michigan for a wage that we couldn't conceive of in Calgary. Like $7 or $8/hr. While I don't know what the folks were making in Calgary, I've not met too many people here making that.
That would make sense because minimum wage is $8.80. I got $9 at Stampede.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:45 AM

Interresting article in the Herald (Sat. Dec. 5th), about Natural Gas exploration/production in the US and the affect it will have on Alberta. It may take the economy longer to recover in AB than we probably thought a few months ago!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:54 PM

People at the plant in Michigan would likely make around $8.00/hr, which would go farther in Michigan where houses can be bought for $30,000. The other big difference would be benefits, which I'm sure are less at the Michigan plant.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 9:13 PM

"Tarsus": I'm sure the 30k house is true, but you'll find it's probably closer on average to 100k. And just because housing is 300k in Alberta, don't think for a single minute that that's great for Alberta. Considerring this "boom and bust" economy! These high housing prices (and other high costs), will eventually hurt economic growth and population growth...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 7:28 PM

Well in 2002, I made $10/hr starting wage when I worked there if that's any indication. At the time it was still SMED.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 7:49 AM

With the big Canadian banks doing so well, what's the chances (if any), of Calgary lining up or getting a large bank or two to headquarter here! I checked a while back and just under 7% of Calgary's economy was finance. I thought it would be much higher. Anybody?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:06 AM

Calgarian: I thought you might post on this one about the big banks/finance. See, I do post topics other than tall buildings! JUst kidding but I am curious why Calgary's finance % of it's economy is only 7%! I'm wondering if the city will ever be HQ for a large bank or two?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Calgarian: I thought you might post on this one about the big banks/finance. See, I do post topics other than tall buildings! JUst kidding but I am curious why Calgary's finance % of it's economy is only 7%! I'm wondering if the city will ever be HQ for a large bank or two?
Likely not.

Banks (like oil companies) like to cluster around similar businesses. Toronto basically has all the bank 'infrastructure' locked down. That, and their position in the EST helps.

Not saying it couldn't happen...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 4:47 AM

Ya, but what about financing in general for any kind of buisness? I mean Calgary does have a few large buisnesses other than O&G... But thanks for the input.

Last edited by bob1954; Jun 4, 2010 at 4:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 5:20 AM

Anybody notice the news about "Smart Technologies" setting an IPO? THis is the kind of success story we need more of! At least it is'nt OIl & Gas.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Ya, but what about financing in general for any kind of buisness? I mean Calgary does have a few large buisnesses other than O&G... But thanks for the input.
Firms tend to agglomerate for multiple different reasons as highlighted by previous poster. some of these reasons can be things such as infastructure, close to business services that is relevant to the firm, human capital in the form of a skilled labour force and education facilities within close proximity. Close to government or other required regulators* even being close to competitors for information spillovers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 6:41 AM

LeFrench: The quote above was kind of regarding the fact that Calgary did'nt have one or two large national/international banks located here. I remember saying it would be nice if the city could get a couple of these big institutions to headquarter in Calgary. In light of something other than O&G, it's great news about Smart Technologies. I hope they can grow at the rate they're saying they will! In afew years it could be a monster.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 6:45 AM

ahh my bad, however it is nice to see another company prosper. especially in a industry outside O&G

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:44 PM

Big coverage earlier today about "Smart Technologies" public offering, I hope it does well as for the company in general! Glad their HQ'd in Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 4:58 AM

How is the economy there now? Someone suggested that I should look in Calgary for jobs and perhaps move there (from Ontario). Is the economy doing good there?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 6:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
How is the economy there now? Someone suggested that I should look in Calgary for jobs and perhaps move there (from Ontario). Is the economy doing good there?
Better than most of the country, but not as good as it was in 2007. What this translates into: you can likely find a job here but it will take some looking. And you won't be getting paid 3x the going rate, although you will get the highest wage in the country (on average).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy