HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:42 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Kingsway is going to need to ramp it up if Londonderry's reno turns out as nice as it sounds like it will be. Chatted with some old friends at 20vic at the NASCA golf tourney the other week, they plan on really dressing up that asset and are hoping to pull in some big names

And thus goes the neverending cycle of retail
Im sorry but Kingsway is miles and miles ahead of Londonderry. It's one of the three ''fortress" malls in the region. Londonderry will not be able to compete, even with the reno.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Im sorry but Kingsway is miles and miles ahead of Londonderry. It's one of the three ''fortress" malls in the region. Londonderry will not be able to compete, even with the reno.
The Bay at Kingsway is ready to die. Where is a gun when you need one. Reality is other than Sears there is nothing there - and Sears is now a shadow of its former self.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:06 PM
Urban Advocate

Are you serious? Department stores haven't acted as anchors to shopping malls in the last 25 years. What is at the mall are the new anchors of desirable retail establishments with high draw and high $/sq. Lulu, H&M, Sephora, Victoria Secret, Pandora, etc.

The renos inside are well done with the exterior still leaving something to be desired. It's not Southgate, but it is a hell of a lot closer than Londonderry will be in the foreseeable future.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
Are you serious? Department stores haven't acted as anchors to shopping malls in the last 25 years. What is at the mall are the new anchors of desirable retail establishments with high draw and high $/sq. Lulu, H&M, Sephora, Victoria Secret, Pandora, etc.

The renos inside are well done with the exterior still leaving something to be desired. It's not Southgate, but it is a hell of a lot closer than Londonderry will be in the foreseeable future.
"Lulu, H&M, Sephora, Victoria Secret, Pandora" of zero interest to me and most men. The only "mall" that scores high for men is Manulife (Henry S, Holts) and WEM (Simons, HS of the Singer name, Harry Rosen, BOSS, Highgrade and Bronson as in Rick).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
"Lulu, H&M, Sephora, Victoria Secret, Pandora" of zero interest to me and most men. The only "mall" that scores high for men is Manulife (Henry S, Holts) and WEM (Simons, HS of the Singer name, Harry Rosen, BOSS, Highgrade and Bronson as in Rick).
Yes and I am with you on that, however retail malls are geared to those who generally do the shopping. In this case women are 50% of the population (less if you were to remove children) and 75% of the shoppers. Hence things are geared for them.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:54 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Yes and I am with you on that, however retail malls are geared to those who generally do the shopping. In this case women are 50% of the population (less if you were to remove children) and 75% of the shoppers. Hence things are geared for them.
There has been a relatively recent shift in the clothing retail market concerning gender. Men now spend more on clothes than women. It is one of the reasons that Simons is doing so well right now.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:19 PM

^I haven't seen any statistics, but that does not surprise me. All my male friends love Simons.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:19 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
We shall see. Lots going on behind the scenes on that one

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:36 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Unfortunately those stores (Lulu, etc) are brands that don't just jump into any ol' shopping centre. Location is a critical factor to get these stores to even take an interest in opening up a store. So while you may not have stepped foot in Kingsway, the numbers prove that many others have. I believe the best performing malls on a sales psf is WEM, Southgate and Kingsway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:37 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
We shall see. Lots going on behind the scenes on that one
Oh yes, we shall see indeed. As it stands the odds are in my favour as it pertains to what I stated in an earlier post.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:53 PM
HVAC guru

^ ha.. We'll see. It's all about market share on this one. I think you, and many others are in for a suprise.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
^ ha.. We'll see. It's all about market share on this one. I think you, and many others are in for a suprise.
300,000 + people up there north of the Yellowhead and tracks and the only major mall is Londonderry. It has huge potential to recapture the prominence it once had.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
300,000 + people up there north of the Yellowhead and tracks and the only major mall is Londonderry. It has huge potential to recapture the prominence it once had.
I would hazard that Kingsway draws potential retail dollars that could otherwise be spent downtown?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
There has been a relatively recent shift in the clothing retail market concerning gender. Men now spend more on clothes than women. It is one of the reasons that Simons is doing so well right now.
Men actually do not spend more but are spending more than in the past. So for example it may have been 80% spending by women and now it is 70% so men are a large growing segment. But they still do spend less then women.

In terms of total spending, women spend more then men but only slightly. Men typically do more of the big ticket spending (cars, atv's, stereos as well as spending on food and alcohol). In other words not stuff you go to the mall to buy. In addition, men are more prone to go into a mall buy the item they want and leave while a woman will hang out and shop around. Also women tend to do more shopping for kids then men so by gearing the mall to them you are targeting the markets properly. Since women are more prone to shop around and stay at the mall get something for kids etc while most men don't. There is a change in the younger generations, however that is not enough of to have a huge impact on the entire mall when we consider the entire population as well as the shopping habits for women to get things for their families (kids) vs men.

As you noted for Simons that is one store and one part of the overall market. Next time you go into Simons count how many 50 year old men go to Simons vs 20 year old men.
Also consider the typically income and wealth of a 50 year old vs a 20 year old man, typically the older guys have more money and are not spending it on clothes, they may however buy a trip to Mexico online or go to a home depot to buy paint or lumber for a new deck.
Next looks at children stores, how often do fathers go shopping at a kids store alone with their child vs women with their child? If the man is there it is usually with the mother and child. This may not sound politically correct but it is still what happens. I know from my own experience as my wife and I always go shopping for clothes for our little guy and I hardly ever see a guy there with his child buying clothes, it is almost always a mother with the child or both parents.

Last edited by big W; Sep 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:22 PM

Speaking of clothing retail for men:

https://twitter.com/MrBoxerShop/stat...51166445654016

Quote:
Mr Boxer & Co
‏@MrBoxerShop
NEWS!! We are opening a NEW STORE at the #edmonton City Centre Mall.. NEXT WEEK!! Stay tuned.. @ECCMALL #mrboxershop #yeg @YEGTweetup

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Speaking of clothing retail for men:

https://twitter.com/MrBoxerShop/stat...51166445654016
http://www.mrboxershop.com/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 8:47 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I get a lot of my work clothes at Simons.

I like it because the stuff looks relatively good and is acceptable for a professional office setting, but is quite affordable so if I do find myself climbing down a duct shaft or something like that I don't get too upset if I get dirty or tear the ass out of a pair of pants

Also because I can be in & out of there in 15 minutes.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:21 PM

Anyone know if the downtown Save On Foods is looking at a near-future expansion?

I noticed that Quiznos is now gone, and the only active retail next to Save On is that vitamin shop, which leads me to think that they're just letting leases die off so that Save On can expand. Plus that Save On is too small with comparatively crappy selection, and very busy thanks to Sobey's closing (huge lineups at till today).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Anyone know if the downtown Save On Foods is looking at a near-future expansion?

I noticed that Quiznos is now gone, and the only active retail next to Save On is that vitamin shop, which leads me to think that they're just letting leases die off so that Save On can expand. Plus that Save On is too small with comparatively crappy selection, and very busy thanks to Sobey's closing (huge lineups at till today).
Well from what I heard the downtown Save-On was their busiest store in terms of sales in Alberta and that was last year before Sobey's and Hull Foods down the street closed. So I could see them wanted to expand even before the closing started.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:35 PM

New West Edmonton Mall wing next to water park would house luxury retailer

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...140/story.html

Quote:
The plans call for a new wing on the south side of the mall atop the surface parking lot between 87th Avenue and the water park. It will house a luxury department store and 150,000 square feet of ancillary retail space. The new development would also add about 800 parking stalls to WEM’s inventory of 20,000.

“I’d build a deck outside the water park and build straight out Entrance 50 pretty much all the way to 87th Avenue,” said Ghermezian, who is still waiting on transportation approvals.

“It will be right out to the edge of the new LRT line coming to the mall.”
Ghermezian does not have a deal with an anchor tenant, but said it will be a luxury retailer. That’s the kind of tenant he prefers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton