HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #36101  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:35 PM
Zerton's Avatar
Zerton Zerton is offline
Ω
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Lincoln Park is full of studio apartment buildings and no one notices...
__________________
If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. -Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36102  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:09 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 12,162
What these bumblefucks don't understand is that you really don't reduce density much with larger apartments. With three bedrooms you will just get 3 people sharing an apartment. Same with 2 bedrooms. All you have to do is charge a high enough rent and people will generally share.

But for sure roommates get on each other's nerves and some people would like their own place. Studios fulfill a demand without bringing an adverse demographic while hardly increasing density.

NIMBYs don't know what the hell they are talking about. I own many rentals in the city now and only about 8% are occupied by families (both in the same building in the North Park neighborhood way out of the "hip" areas of town). The other 92% are singles and childless couples rooming together. (I only have 1 apt that is less than a 2 bedroom).

Last edited by the urban politician; Jan 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36103  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:09 AM
denizen467 denizen467 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Panera actually is shrinking left and right in Chicago. They shuttered Diversey in the last couple years, and they just abandoned their Clybourn restaurant last month. Also along that stretch of Clybourn, Moe's just closed too, although I think most people won't miss that one.
Yeesh, when I made that post I didn't realize that the Smashburger across the street also had just closed down a couple days earlier. This is bigger damage than losing some run of the mill chain fast food place. (This isn't in DNA or Eater yet but according to Yelp the date was the 9th.)

The strip malls on mid-Clybourn have such turnover, if only they could be magically consolidated into 1, so the surplus could get redeveloped into something more urban.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36104  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:17 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 12,162
I found this interesting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...118-story.html

If UIC increases enrollment by 5k, that will definitely lead to more housing development and more gentrification in Pilsen
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36105  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:13 PM
ChiHi's Avatar
ChiHi ChiHi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I found this interesting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...118-story.html

If UIC increases enrollment by 5k, that will definitely lead to more housing development and more gentrification in Pilsen
Pretty sure the Pilsen NIMBYs and Solis are on the brink of proposing the building of a wall around their neigborhood so nothing nice goes up. Helps with their Keep Pilsen Poor campaign.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36106  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:51 PM
Near North Resident Near North Resident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Yeesh, when I made that post I didn't realize that the Smashburger across the street also had just closed down a couple days earlier. This is bigger damage than losing some run of the mill chain fast food place. (This isn't in DNA or Eater yet but according to Yelp the date was the 9th.)

The strip malls on mid-Clybourn have such turnover, if only they could be magically consolidated into 1, so the surplus could get redeveloped into something more urban.
I was sad, when I went there a few weeks ago to find it closed for good I really liked smashburger, they are one of the only fast food burger places I liked!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36107  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:13 AM
KWILLSKYLINE's Avatar
KWILLSKYLINE KWILLSKYLINE is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 223
If anyone is on the westside can you take some pictures of United Center and Blackhawks practice facility?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36108  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:03 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
Professional Midwesterner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Edgewater, Chicago
Posts: 17,071
i moved all of the el chatter to the transit thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...01657&page=538
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36109  
Old Posted Today, 2:16 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,684
Permit issued for the construction of the foundation for the new Gensler designed Hospital on the Rush Medical campus - 9 stories. Address is 1950 W Polk St (Polk & ~ Damen). Currently a little field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...753207!6m1!1e1)

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/2/1...dical-district

__________________
* Check out my 2014 - 2016 New Construction building permits map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXSch1pWpvKw

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36110  
Old Posted Today, 2:56 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Exhale solutions.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spaceship Earth
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I was sad, when I went there a few weeks ago to find it closed for good I really liked smashburger, they are one of the only fast food burger places I liked!
Maybe its just me, but I never thought I wanted to go to Smashburger when I got a burgercrave. That's what FiveGuys is for.
__________________
You slip me the cash and I'll slip you the wiener.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36111  
Old Posted Today, 3:24 PM
F1 Tommy's Avatar
F1 Tommy F1 Tommy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Permit issued for the construction of the foundation for the new Gensler designed Hospital on the Rush Medical campus - 9 stories. Address is 1950 W Polk St (Polk & ~ Damen). Currently a little field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...753207!6m1!1e1)

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/2/1...dical-district

That looks a lot like the University of Chicago North residence from one side.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36112  
Old Posted Today, 3:31 PM
TimeAgain TimeAgain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Permit issued for the construction of the foundation for the new Gensler designed Hospital on the Rush Medical campus - 9 stories. Address is 1950 W Polk St (Polk & ~ Damen). Currently a little field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...753207!6m1!1e1)

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/2/1...dical-district

Just clarifying your post. This is the new outpatient center for Cook County Hospital, not the new outpatient center that will be built for Rush Hospital. That should be starting this year or next, as well, however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.