HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Local on Lonsdale in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • North Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 9:37 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

[North Vancouver] Local on Lonsdale | ??m | 20fl | Proposed

Looks like this was approved back in October. thedjraw noticed a fence around the existing site (Lonsdale and 17) tonight and mentioned it in a previous thread. having seen the work going on myself, i did a little leg work and dug this up...

Quote:
Scaled-down Extra Foods tower wins council approval
James Weldon, North Shore News
Published: Sunday, October 26, 2008

Central Lonsdale will be getting a new tower after all with the decision by City of North Vancouver council Monday to give the proposed Extra Foods site redevelopment the green light.

The building will only be 180 feet (55 metres) as opposed to the 240 feet (73 metres) specified in the original plan. The drop in height puts the development within the limits of the official community plan -- which caps highrises at about 18 storeys -- but also comes at the expense of a number of below-market rental units and community amenities included in the initial proposal.
"We walked past $6 million in private sector investment in affordable housing in the City of North Vancouver," said Coun. Craig Keating, who supported the amended proposal with some reluctance. "I still think it's sad"

Council had originally approved a version of the project Sept. 8 that would have seen the 25,000 square-foot grocery store at Lonsdale Avenue and 17th Street replaced with a 200,000 sq. ft., 24-storey residential tower that would have been 60 feet above the OCP limit.

In return for that added height, the community would have gained around 8,800 sq. ft. of affordable housing (about a dozen units) and a public plaza.
But the city changed course Oct. 6 when Couns. Bob Fearnley, Bob Heywood and Barabara Perreault, who had originally voted in favour of the project, switched their votes to no and joined Coun. Pam Bookham who had opposed the scale of the project from the beginning.

Community opposition and the need to amend the official community plan had motivated their change of heart, they said. They also voiced concerns over the entrance to the proposed underground parking lot, which would have crossed the sidewalk on Lonsdale Avenue, raising safety issues.
The rejection meant the project was bounced back to city staff, who were instructed to work with the developer to come up with something more palatable. Last week staff submitted a new recommendation with several different options.

On Monday, council voted to adopt Option 2a, which called for the height reduction and a changed parking lot design. The new plan would see cars cross the Lonsdale Avenue sidewalk on their way into the parking garage but not on their way out, when their vision is most restricted.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 10:44 PM

thanks for the article. anyone have a render?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 12:43 AM

Saw on the news that the roof of the Extra Foods collapsed under the weight of snow.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 3:57 AM

in north van?

in coquitlam part of the home depot collapsed - looks like just the front of the store not the actual store roof but the slanted roof at the front

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 2:22 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Saw on the news that the roof of the Extra Foods collapsed under the weight of snow.
that wouldn't surprise me at all with that place.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 7:24 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
wow crazy! its odd here in Vancouver we have record snow falls and no one thinks maybe they should shovel their roofs off.....smart.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 2:44 AM
Van City

I heard that a quarter of the roof collapsed... I wonder if they will fix the roof, or just start construction early?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 2:51 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjraw View Post
I heard that a quarter of the roof collapsed... I wonder if they will fix the roof, or just start construction early?
i know where my vote is on that issue...

...too bad it wasn't the Safeways down the street....

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:15 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
wow crazy! its odd here in Vancouver we have record snow falls and no one thinks maybe they should shovel their roofs off.....smart.
The way I look at it, people shouldn't have to. Roofs should be designed and built to carry this kind of weight.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:19 AM

I guess that is the lazy attitude. Buildings in general need maintenance and up keep and this event is one that is rare enough that people should simply get off their asses for a few minutes and clean the roofs (not to mention the sidewalks and the roofs of their cars before they drive) instead of spending needless money on engineering upgrades.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:30 AM
Cheers!

It's not a lazy attitude at all. I'm being a realist. Sidewalks are one thing, but a roof on a building is... Building codes would be made with that in mind - most roofs will not get cleared, therefore they should be built to take extra weight.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:38 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^i doubt that the building codes here are made with the snowfall we've had this last little bit in mind. at least not with it staying for any length of time like it has. we've had rather unseasonable weather.

that said, i don't disagree that they should be constructed with weight in mind. however, we're talking about a building built to older building codes anyways. the Extra Foods in question was built in the late 70's/early 80's (ar least is my guess judging by the looks of the place both inside and out).

i'm sure there's people here that remember the Save On Foods at Metrotown's roof collapsing in the late 80's. mind you that was because of the cars on the parking lot. building standards have improved since then because of that incident.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:48 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
^i doubt that the building codes here are made with the snowfall we've had this last little bit in mind. at least not with it staying for any length of time like it has. we've had rather unseasonable weather.
Well, who knows? It doesn't sound like anyone here is an expert. I just can't accept that they would build structures that would barely hold up one foot of snow. Anyway, we don't want every old fart climbing onto a roof...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:57 AM

Well it is a lot more than one foot, more around 3 feet along the base of the mountains. The Vancouver airport is only 2cm away from breaking its most snow during December record, and seeing how all this snow has fallen in the past week and a half with little chance to melt until now this is an anomaly.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 4:25 AM

they can't build houses here to deal with the cold

one week of almost -10 and how many frozen pipes happenned? crazy - nowhere else in Canada would that happen

not to mention all the houses built with crappy single glass windows that just blow the cold air in

people/builders cheap out - this kind of snow fall is pretty rare - once a decade i think we get a huge dump like this

so its justifiable that they don't build houses etc to sustain cold temps and rare snowfalls

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 4:47 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well it is a lot more than one foot, more around 3 feet along the base of the mountains. The Vancouver airport is only 2cm away from breaking its most snow during December record, and seeing how all this snow has fallen in the past week and a half with little chance to melt until now this is an anomaly.
Yes, this has been an unusual period no doubt. Think of this though... earthquakes are anomalies too. We expect a big one within the next 200 years or so, yet we build for those anomalies because lives are at stake. I've done plenty of seismic bracing and strapping in my plumbing work just for that big one. Heavy snow falls are rare here too, as you've pointed out, but the fact that they can and do happen... I would expect, and hope, that our buildings are built above and beyond the max snow falls. Just the fact there is a chance people won't always be available to clear off roofs... we can't rely on that as a means to keep people safe.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 4:55 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they can't build houses here to deal with the cold

one week of almost -10 and how many frozen pipes happenned? crazy - nowhere else in Canada would that happen

not to mention all the houses built with crappy single glass windows that just blow the cold air in

people/builders cheap out - this kind of snow fall is pretty rare - once a decade i think we get a huge dump like this

so its justifiable that they don't build houses etc to sustain cold temps and rare snowfalls
If I'm not mistaken, the heating is only supposed to handle 98% of an average years temps. Meaning, during the coldest 2% of the year, the heating will have a tough time warming the entire place. That's when you're supposed to put on a sweater. The pipes should be fine though. Frozen pipes will happen when things aren't properly insulated, and/or when someone decides to turn off the heating for whatever reason.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 4:57 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Just the fact there is a chance people won't always be available to clear off roofs... we can't rely on that as a means to keep people safe.
the only real way to ensure that roofs are clearer is to build slanted roofs, but that presents its own problems (IE: cost, falling ice and snow)

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 5:06 AM
Cheers!

Slanted roofs don't clear snow very well unless you have them sloped at a really steep angle. What they're good at though is handling the weight. It's usually the old flat (horizontal) roofs that are a problem.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 6:36 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

it also depends what material slanted roofs are made from as well. a slanted metal roof will clear snow faster than a slanted shingled roof

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley