HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:00 AM

From Trump Toronto facebook page.

Elevators in the Lobby

The hotel halls on each floor.

The condo level halls.

1000 bottle wine rack.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:08 AM
gettin' rich!

This tower is so Dubai!!

Toronto needed this tower bad. Thank you Talon and Trump International!!!!

We luv you!!!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:57 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
This tower is so Dubai!!

Toronto needed this tower bad. Thank you Talon and Trump International!!!!

We luv you!!!!
I don't know what your obsession with Dubai is, but you are sure right about this tower. It is ugly, cheap, tacky, and anti-pedestrian, just like all the towers in Dubai. You're lucky that Toronto has so many better projects going on. This tower, to me, is extremely disappointing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I don't know what your obsession with Dubai is, but you are sure right about this tower. It is ugly, cheap, tacky, and anti-pedestrian, just like all the towers in Dubai. You're lucky that Toronto has so many better projects going on. This tower, to me, is extremely disappointing.
Couldn't agree more. This tower is, like so many of other Trump's towers, so tacky. Trying to be something it's not. Whilst I appreciate the height, I wouldn't miss this tower had it not been built.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:13 PM
She needs her space

Nice buildout and Trump looks impressive at the street. I would say overall the tower is blah, the spire is awkward, it does not look as tall as it did in renderings, and the architect/developers put too much effort on the porte cochere/dropoff and not enough effort on a more pedestrian scale entrance on the sidewalk with a whitegloved doorman. Plus it would be nice to have a bar that overlooks the street scene whereby patrons can look out, and onlookers can see in at night.

The comment about the Waldorf is dead on. I was fortunate to grow up in a family that could afford and preferred to stay there over say the Plaza, the Sherry-Netherland, the Pierre, etc...and that is a grande DAME. For us, having a "large" hotel with a lot going on activity wise was always a must and the only reason we did not stay at the Plaza was because it had fallen apart (this was pre-redevelopment). The other hotels were just too quiet and stuffy. When my parents visit me here in Atlanta, they are too old to feel comfortable in a W Hotel (TOO much activity there ha), and they tried the Four Seasons, but again too stuffy. They actually prefer the Marriott Suites next door in Midtown precisely because it has a good level of activity and a street level bar that looks out (the bar in the Four Seasons is on the 2nd floor and the windows are tiny and higher up so you can't really look out - and it's dead quiet in there with nobody under the age of 50). Anyway, to each their own.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post

The comment about the Waldorf is dead on.
As agreed by the poster, the Waldorf comment was way off the mark. You could build 6 Trumps on the site of the Waldorf. The Waldorf has so much more sidewalk space to create grand pedestrian entrances. Trump has no room for that. Not to mention the Waldorf doesn't need to deal with parking ramps.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 6:32 PM
Khurram Parvaz

But is everyone happy that Toronto got some thing in the BUSINESS district that's better than what was there BEFORE (a small parking lot).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 8:51 PM
gettin' rich!

Can't have a parking lot at Bay and Adelaide. That is just not gonna work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 8:55 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Exactly. That's like saying a parking lot is available in Downtown NYC. The last parking lot to my recollection was taken by the Beekman Tower. There are some parking lots near the South Street Seaport, which will be used in the next 10 years.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:09 PM

awesome interior shots, they blow me away

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:17 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
But is everyone happy that Toronto got some thing in the BUSINESS district that's better than what was there BEFORE (a small parking lot).
The parking lot was a temporary use. That it took 15 years and several different ownerships to get this building built is the only reason the lot lasted as long. The mid-rise, mid-century building torn down to build the tower should be considered.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:45 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ You could say the same thing about the new WTC here in NYC and how by the year 2016 it will have been officially 15 years since 9/11 and finally NYC will have a FULLY built WTC. The same with the parking lot. Yes it took 15 years and a group of different ownerships, but at the end of the day people remember that there was a parking lot there for 15 years. Could something better have gone on that specific parking lot? Yes. But what went on the lot isn't too bad. So is Trump Toronto considered (Completed).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
It's not one of our best towers, but the intensification of the area is quite amazing. It was already very dense, and Trump just upped it. I'm also glad it's residential which should add much needed life to the streets after 5 pm. Another 10 tall residential towers down here would be terrific.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:28 AM

Quote:
^ You could say the same thing about the new WTC here in NYC and how by the year 2016 it will have been officially 15 years since 9/11 and finally NYC will have a FULLY built WTC. The same with the parking lot. Yes it took 15 years and a group of different ownerships, but at the end of the day people remember that there was a parking lot there for 15 years. Could something better have gone on that specific parking lot? Yes. But what went on the lot isn't too bad. So is Trump Toronto considered (Completed).
far from completed. cladding isn't even finished yet. but expect it to slow down, as they go through and furnish each of the condos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:38 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
It wouldn't be too bad in Mississauga or North York Centre but, in the CBD it is an absolute disgrace. I'd gladly would have waited another 10 years for something better.

I don't expect a stuffy condominium of international owners animating the street outside business hours.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:48 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't expect a stuffy condominium of international owners animating the street outside business hours.
This isn't Star Trek. It's not like they can hyper-space to some other location and they're not going to hop in a car to travel 2 or 3 blocks over. Stuffy or not, they will need to emerge from the building unless they're all hermits.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:02 AM
I am the law!

A. The building will undoubtably have huge vacancies most of the time. It's the nature behind "being in one place at a time".
B. Take a good look at that porte cochere and tell me again that the residents/isitors will be king through the near empty CBD to the entertainment areas of the downtown. I think not.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:07 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
It wouldn't be too bad in Mississauga or North York Centre but, in the CBD it is an absolute disgrace. I'd gladly would have waited another 10 years for something better.

Donald Trump doesn't care if you want to wait or not. What he cares about is putting money in his pocket. Now his building is complete and he will do that just like he did in Chicago, and how he does in NYC. But the building isn't that bad.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:33 AM

Quote:
A. The building will undoubtably have huge vacancies most of the time. It's the nature behind "being in one place at a time".
B. Take a good look at that porte cochere and tell me again that the residents/isitors will be king through the near empty CBD to the entertainment areas of the downtown. I think not.
You comments show how little you know about Toronto. I'm surprised you keep posting in this section. You're sounding like an ass, and not a smart one.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:53 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Donald Trump doesn't care if you want to wait or not. What he cares about is putting money in his pocket. Now his building is complete and he will do that just like he did in Chicago, and how he does in NYC. But the building isn't that bad.
For the last time, Donald Trump's is a minor partner in this development. His contribution doesn't extend much beyond managing the building which is why it bares his name; one that is easily changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive