HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:21 PM

^Yeah, the city was established in 1846 but other important events pre-date that moment in history. I do think 1813 is when Hamilton became a 'police village' and then 1833 is when it was incorporated as a town and so on. I think these events should be celebrated, though it could get a little confusing, I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 11:15 PM

Hello - great thread. With regards to the location of Strongman's Road. From the top, it started on Concession St. at the very west end of Sam Lawrence Park, just east of Belvidere Ave. It went down the hill at a pretty steep incline and ended at the Claremont Road. We rode our bikes down it in the late 1960s, early '70s. I'm new here - how do I load a photo to accompany this? When I press the Attach image icon, I'm asked for a URL, and want load a JPG. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm View Post
Hello - great thread. With regards to the location of Strongman's Road. From the top, it started on Concession St. at the very west end of Sam Lawrence Park, just east of Belvidere Ave. It went down the hill at a pretty steep incline and ended at the Claremont Road. We rode our bikes down it in the late 1960s, early '70s. I'm new here - how do I load a photo to accompany this? When I press the Attach image icon, I'm asked for a URL, and want load a JPG. Thanks.
That would be great to see!

Photos need to be hosted on another website; this one doesn't support uploaded images. Hence the need for a URL.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 1:54 AM

Seven-and-a-half years since the last post! Don't think I have the energy to revive the thing...

Also, a lot has happened since 2013. Perhaps we're more forward looking now.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:04 AM

To DrAwesome and RPM. I can Confirm that photo that RPM is talking about. I may have seen it in vintage hamilton where Belvidere was accessible, and an after photo being gated off and having houses around there. I am planning to go on a hiking trip today around there to see if the strongman road is part of brucetrail on the East part of the claremont access. I grew up in Hamilton downtown, Stinson street not far from that area I know it very well. I will confirm afterwards. Cheers gentlemen

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreewayRacer View Post
To DrAwesome and RPM. I can Confirm that photo that RPM is talking about. I may have seen it in vintage hamilton where Belvidere was accessible, and an after photo being gated off and having houses around there. I am planning to go on a hiking trip today around there to see if the strongman road is part of brucetrail on the East part of the claremont access. I grew up in Hamilton downtown, Stinson street not far from that area I know it very well. I will confirm afterwards. Cheers gentlemen
To be quite frank with you all, I looked at Google maps to see where Belvidere starts to go down and how it sort of intersects with the Bruce trail. I think I mightve gone there back in 2010 ish when I was in 7th grade. I remember me and my friends would skip class sometimes to go hiking there since we had friends living in Arcadia apartments and we would hike along that trail all the way up before the sidewalk was paved through recently in 2018-19ish. It's been a long time so I'm going to check that out with a college buddy of mine to confirm with y'all

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion