HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I'm liking this trend of projects coming back from the dead.
Not only that, but it seems that it's some of the better projects that are going through this rebirth. Terrific news.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Oh it is. I spent some time in their ER. Very upscale and classy.
Oddly, so have I. Woman I was with tore ligaments dancing at a dive bar. Great place to go at 2:00 on Sunday; absolutely deserted and the staff is classy.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:55 AM

Great to see that the Cedars project will fill in such a void in back of the Beverly Center on San Vicente.

What will help out EVEN MORE is the Caruso (or was it Casden?) Trader Joes project on that island between the SLS Hotel and Loehmanns.

Hopefully once these projects are completed, City of LA will have the leadership to put some green space along La Cienega, which is currently a freakin' highway in the middle of the city without any human scale to it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Oddly, so have I. Woman I was with tore ligaments dancing at a dive bar. Great place to go at 2:00 on Sunday; absolutely deserted and the staff is classy.
I'll message you privately as to why I was there.

And funny, I was also there on a Sunday past 2am.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Great to see that the Cedars project will fill in such a void in back of the Beverly Center on San Vicente.

What will help out EVEN MORE is the Caruso (or was it Casden?) Trader Joes project on that island between the SLS Hotel and Loehmanns.

Hopefully once these projects are completed, City of LA will have the leadership to put some green space along La Cienega, which is currently a freakin' highway in the middle of the city without any human scale to it.
I had forgotten about that project. Is it still alive?

Traffic is so bad in that part of town that I hate to see it slowed on San Vicente or La Cienega. But you are certainly right that that area could someday be not just walkable but part of an extended and beautiful urban zone, and to get there requires some moderation of traffic on those streets.

One of the many reasons I was a strong supporter of the "Pink" Line.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I had forgotten about that project. Is it still alive?

Traffic is so bad in that part of town that I hate to see it slowed on San Vicente or La Cienega. But you are certainly right that that area could someday be not just walkable but part of an extended and beautiful urban zone, and to get there requires some moderation of traffic on those streets.

One of the many reasons I was a strong supporter of the "Pink" Line.
What do you think the Pink Line would even do to traffic? Nothing. It provides an alternative transit method and allows for increased development. Thus, this is a great development/urban/walkable project we need to fill in the gap.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Transit makes traffic better. Somehow we have lost sight of this. It doesn't make it better in that place than iti is today, perhaps, but better than it would be if development continues without transit.

Bad as London, NY, etc., are, they would be worse without subways. And the development that coudn't go there due to congestion would go somewhere else and makes traffic worse there.

The key is to pick the places where it is truly needed (supports the relief of current congestion or mitigates expected congestion where it is likely to happen). Pink would do both.

And practically speaking, I doubt if you could get buy-in from WeHo, BH and LA residents to slow traffic on those streets without a quid pro quo.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Bad as London, NY, etc., are, they would be worse without subways. And the development that coudn't go there due to congestion would go somewhere else and makes traffic worse there.

The key is to pick the places where it is truly needed (supports the relief of current congestion or mitigates expected congestion where it is likely to happen). Pink would do both.

And practically speaking, I doubt if you could get buy-in from WeHo, BH and LA residents to slow traffic on those streets without a quid pro quo.
London, New York, Paris, etc... would not have the development it has without the subways. It would be built like............Los Angeles. High parking requirements would make a lot of their dense, infill projects impossible.

I want development...and more development. Building places where people can walk to makes more safer neighborhoods (more eyes on the street, cars move slower, etc...).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:33 PM
BANNED

London and NY were very dense before subways were built. I'll agree that the subway makes greater density possible but I suspect the demand for building them came from a desire to relieve existing congestion not to increase demand for more development. The demand for development was already there and you need to add subways just as you need to add sewers, power, schools, etc.

But in any event, WeHo and Beverly Center have plenty of demand and there is always going to be the issue of moving surface traffic without disrupting urban life. Currently San Vicente is mostly not a shopping street (hospitals, parks, institutions) so there is relatively less damage from cars. Parts of La Cienega (restaurant row) are not particularly walkable and the rest is probably just going to become like 42nd or other NY streets where pedestrian traffic and vehicles create a lot of congestion.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 3:13 AM
Ascension

What do you guys think of this?

Quote:
L.A. Sports Arena Releases Draft Environmental Impact Report
Paresh Dave | November 19, 2010
Executive Producer
Neon Tommy

The Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena could be demolished, yielding to either an amphitheater or a soccer stadium under draft plans released earlier this week to reinvigorate the publicly managed, cash-strapped and deteriorating entertainment venue that has been short on programming.

In an under-the-radar fashion recently typical of the the body that oversees the 15-acre Sports Arena campus near Exposition Park, the L.A. Memorial Coliseum Commission released a 347-page draft environmental impact report for the dueling project options on Monday. It's unclear how the demolition and redevelopment would be funded.

The soccer stadium option is the third vision for a new sports facility in Los Angeles County, following Ed Roski's plan for an NFL stadium in the City of Industry and an AEG proposal also released this week for a $725 million stadium that would be designed to house an NFL team and the World Cup.

The Sports Arena has come under scrutiny during recent weeks because its financial woes may have forced the Coliseum Commission to suprisingly rescind a ban on electronic music festivals, more commonly known as raves, at the facility. The festivals have been one of the few steady streams of revenue for the aging facility, likely bringing in a few hundred thousand dollars annually. The release of the draft environmental impact report officially brings the commission to a crossroads.

As early as January, the nine people who sit on the panel will have to decide to do one of three things: go forward with the soccer stadium idea and mount a challenge to proposals of Roski and AEG; construct an amphitheater and hope people make good use of it; or launch a smaller renovation of the existing facility while watching it sink into a deeper operating deficit.

The amphitheater option would feature an 800-square-foot stage backed by an open half-dome shell and a large grass field flanked by flag poles. Not included in the plans are any fixed seats, video boards or fencing. Concession stands and restrooms "may be provided," the report says. Events that could be held here include Farmer's Markets, rallies, festivals, exercise groups, concerts, neighborhood carnivals and special ceremonies.

A very preliminary concept drawing of what the soccer stadium may look like.The other option envisions a 22,000-seat Major League Soccer stadium, offering some competition to the Home Depot Center in Carson. The stadium plan calls for MLS games, exhibition games and USC soccer games to be played there. At the varsity level, USC only has a women's team. Local teams would be allowed to practice there as well.

The plan mentions no outisde retail or dining components--items that may ultimately be needed for financial viability.

The stadium, which would be oriented the same way as the arena is right now, would also hold concerts and rallies. If USC's team moves into this new stadium, it's current field near Hoover Street and 30th Street would likely become available for USC to develop on.

The seven-story Sports Arena opened 51 years ago amid a nationwide boom in arena construction, providing the region its first new sports venue in about 25 years.

Most of the arena's highlights came in its first few years of existence, hosting boxing, basketball, hockey, the 1960 Democratic National Convention and the 1961 Freedom Rally at which Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke.

But professional sports franchises such as the Lakers and Kings quickly moved to other location such as The Forum and Pauley Pavilion. Only the Clippers would come play at the arena from 1984 to 1999.

During the past five years, an event has been held there, on average, only once every six days. Nearly all of the events attracted less than 10,000 people. In comparison, the Staples Center held about four times as many events, according to the website of its owner, AEG.

Most of the environmental impacts mentioned in the report are routine ones that one would expect from a major construction project. Lighting and noise may anger residents living along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. But because the Sports Arena is built in a big ditch, the stadium and amphitheater would also maintain low profiles.

The parking and traffic situation would also change very little because even if the Coliseum and Sports Arena held concurrent events, overall capacity would be limited to about the same level as right now. About 20,000 parking spaces exist throughout Exposition Park and USC, and no additional ones would have to be added.

The report states the Sports Arena needs $8.2 million in upgrades--from new seats to new plumbing and heating systems--within the next five years to keep operating. Each of the past five fiscal years, however, has brought operating losses totaling nearly $4 million. Because the commission doesn't receive any taxpayer subsidies, it doesn't have the cash to pay for those fixes. The document notes that even if improvements were made, the Sports Arena would not be any more competitive with venues such as the 19,000-seat Staples Center.

The arena's present configuration allows it hold about 15,000 people for hockey, boxing and basketball events.

L.A. Coliseum Commission general manager Pat Lynch has not responded to several voicemails left by Neon Tommy during the past two weeks. Members of the Coliseum Commission, including L.A. County supervisors Mark Ridley-Thomas and Zev Yaroslavsky, L.A. City Councilman Bernard Parks and real estate developer Rick Caruso, could not be reached for comment.

The 45-day public comment period on the draft report runs until Dec. 30. It seems wise for public agencies, including the L.A. City Council and the L.A. County Board of Supervisors, to ask for an extension of that comment period since it runs right through two major holiday periods.

Either way, comments should be directed to Coliseum general manager Pat Lynch at 3939 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90037. The report is available online, at the previous address and at the Exposition Park Library. The online PDF is also "secured," so text from the document can't be copied and pasted.

Under a joint agreement between the state, city and county, the Coliseum Commission maintains and operates the Coliseum and Sports Arena. That agreement runs through 2054.

Los Angeles voters thrice rejected measures to publicly finance the construction of a Downtown sports arena. Urged on by County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn, the state Legislature eventually jumped in, authorizing in 1958 the sale of $7 million in bonds to build the present arena. Before the Exposition Park project was settled on, there were three competing visions of "world-class" arenas across Los Angeles.

The Coliseum has stood since 1923. The commission has existed since 1945.
http://www.neontommy.com/news/2010/1...opment-project

I like how the only source of income the Sports Arena generates is whenever it throws a rave. Which would make sense to turn the site into a amphitheater. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a soccer stadium there.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 4:26 AM

Raves might not be around much longer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
doubtful. If anything they are more popular than ever.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 5:04 PM
Ascension

Quote:
NEGATIVE. I've been going to raves since I was 14. If anything, they are bigger than ever and only are going to get bigger with electronic music becoming more and more mainstream.

I went to Hard Haunted Mansion at the Shrine on Halloween. 24,000 people showed up over the span of 2 days. Both inside of the Shrine and the parking lot right outside.

I even have vids.

My friends and I waiting in line (I'm the negro).
Video Link

Inside of the Shrine...
Video Link

Walking into Harder stage outside
Video Link

Few hours later....
Video Link

**Bonus**
This crackhead we filmed at the library.
Video Link

And my friends and I playing with the lights at MetLofts.
Video Link

From a personal standpoint, I would choose the amphitheater option for the simple fact that electronic music festivals are huge.

Detroit has DEMF (Detroit Electronic Music Festival).
Video Link

Miami has the WMC (Winter Music Confrence) which turns the entire city into a giant party.
Video Link

And all sorts of parties in Europe (Creamfields, Ibiza, Sensation White/Black, Awakenings) which routinely draw hundreds of thousands of people. If a huge music festival like that were to be held in Los Angeles, it would solidify itself as one of the premier music cities. I mean it is already but it'll raise it a few bars. I know that some people would say that 'well raves are a hot bed of drugs and all things untoward' which quite frankly, is nonsense. I mean it's true that people take drugs at these types of events but that's expected. Is it right? No. If you really loved music, you wouldn't have to roll your balls off (taking an extacy pills for those not familiar with the terminology) in order to feel good.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 6:06 PM
BANNED

There are already lots of theaters DT, from the Bway palaces to the Shrine, Patriotic Hall, Nokia, USC, and others in Hollywood as well. What would an amphiteater do for raves that the Coliseum can't? A greater and greater number of specialty stadiums, arenas, etc., doesn't strike me as a good use of money.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 6:22 PM
Heavy User

^I'm assuming that the Coliseum is a much larger venue and so would only be able to get really large events? In any case I didn't really like either plan (another stadium wouldn't do much for the area and while I like the idea of an amphitheater I could see it being overrun by homeless and not being as big a revenue generator). The Coliseum Commission really is in a tough spot on this one.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 10:47 PM
Paramoderator

Does anybody know what is happening to the two towers in Century City that would go with the hotel? It seemed like the developer had his act together, but I haven't heard anything about them since the revised renders came out.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Does anybody know what is happening to the two towers in Century City that would go with the hotel? It seemed like the developer had his act together, but I haven't heard anything about them since the revised renders came out.
You mean the Century Plaza Hotel Twin Towers? I'm not sure where in the approval process it is as of now, but I do know that it has gained more support when the developer recently cut the height of the towers and moved them behind the Century Plaza Hotel rather than tearing it down. It's probably searching for financing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 12:03 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
You mean the Century Plaza Hotel Twin Towers? I'm not sure where in the approval process it is as of now, but I do know that it has gained more support when the developer recently cut the height of the towers and moved them behind the Century Plaza Hotel rather than tearing it down. It's probably searching for financing.
They cut the height? Bummer. I knew that they had moved them behind the hotel, but I never thought that the height was an issue for the people of Century City. They do live, after all, in Century City.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
What do you guys think of this?
Looks like prime real estate for a space shuttle!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
In L.A. these things take a very long time- EIR's can last 18 months, lawsuits, etc often stall projects to death. I believe this is the most recent plan-

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...owers_rise.php

Last edited by Steve2726; Nov 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations