HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 4:09 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Haven't done one of these in a long time... so here you go!

Video Link

HD/link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AXq0Mst1C0

Hope you enjoyed the drive!

Southdale suffers from chronic congestion pretty much all day long, and Southdale/Wonderland desperately needs a reconfigured intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
By the way, the last road you turned onto, was that Cheese Factory Road?
No, it's called Commerce Road. There's a crapload of industrial development on it between Wilton Grove Road and the 401 frontage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post

If the city had followed its plans, it called for Andover Dr. to be extended south to Wharncliffe which would have taken some local area traffic off Southdale and Wonderland south. Of course a few people on Andover complained about "increased hypothetical traffic" and now a retirement home has been built square in the middle of any southern extension rendering that idea dead.
From what I remember, Andover was 'planned' to go to a Bradley extension, and proposed to go all the way to Warncliffe. These plans were shelved when the Bradley extension became a stale proposal, along with negative feedback from residents like you mentioned. The failure to extend Andover Drive resulted in a new three-way intersection on Southdale between Andover and Wonderland, further increasing traffic congestion in the area.

Poor planning. As we all know, Southdale needs immediate 4-lane widening with bus bays, bike lanes and actual sidewalks. The current 2-lane road doesn't even have a sidewalk in some sections, making people walk either on private grass or the road's edge.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Poor planning.
The life story of London's road network.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:28 AM
User Registered

Chris Bentley giving a thumbs up on the new 401/Wonderland interchange.

Now when's it goona get built?

The Ministry of transpiration is about to release their 2011-2015 highway plan. Hopefully this interchange will be included in it. (It was not included in the 2010-2014 plan.)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:06 AM

Wonderland-401 Interchange will be great. One that eastbound 401 traffic can access Wonderland, but also will provide a western link south to Port Stanley.

It's suppose to be built soon, so hopefully MTO gets going on that soon.

The one that's more troubling is the VMP interchange, does anyone from the MTO realize that the Parclo will stop VMP from ever become a true freeway?! Someone's gotta call the city out on this poor planning!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:09 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post

The one that's more troubling is the VMP interchange, does anyone from the MTO realize that the Parclo will stop VMP from ever become a true freeway?! Someone's gotta call the city out on this poor planning!
I've talked to some experts, and they're reply to me was by the time the VMP actually becomes a full freeway, the 'new' (parclo) interchange that's planned will reach the end of it's design life and will need to be replaced anyway.

If the city speeds up plans, they recommend a large parclo design so that there's room for flyover ramps to be added later, converting the interchange to a cloverstack design.

---

Speaking of speeding up plans, Wellington should be continuously 6-laned from Baseline to the 401 to create a better gateway road for the city. Had a slow drive on it today. There's practically nothing in the way that's preventing them from doing it (like rail crossings, water, etc.). Adding some medians with trees/flowers like they did between Horton and the Thames River would be a nice touch too.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Chris Bentley giving a thumbs up on the new 401/Wonderland interchange.

Now when's it goona get built?

The Ministry of transpiration is about to release their 2011-2015 highway plan. Hopefully this interchange will be included in it. (It was not included in the 2010-2014 plan.)
This is desperately needed sooner than later, especially with how built up Wonderland Road South is getting. People coming from the Windsor area will love this as it's a pain getting off on CT going through Lambeth, etc

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:52 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
This is desperately needed sooner than later, especially with how built up Wonderland Road South is getting. People coming from the Windsor area will love this as it's a pain getting off on CT going through Lambeth, etc
That and the fact that the Highway 4/401 junction is one of the last cloverleaf interchanges on the 400-series, and probably the most dangerous one left due to the angle these highways intersect.

The MTO wants to make serious improvements on the 401 between Highway 4 and 402. However due to budget constraints and the fact that there's more important projects to be done, London's getting neglected again. All that's stated on their site is that they plan to resurface the pavement in 2012.

But there's a lot more work to get done than that.
-Widen 401 to 6 lanes between Highway 4 and 402.
-Reconstruct Highway 4/401 cloverleaf, including a new overpass
-New overpass at Tempo Road
-New interchange at Wonderland Road, including a new overpass
-New overpass at Westminster Drive
-Install overhead signs and high mast lighting (maybe)

So there's a lot on their plate for this relatively short section of highway, but that's what happens when you neglect it for so long.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The retardedness that is Hyde Park Road in on a Weekend has got to stop!!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:37 PM

Quote:
That and the fact that the Highway 4/401 junction is one of the last cloverleaf interchanges on the 400-series, and probably the most dangerous one left due to the angle these highways intersect.

The MTO wants to make serious improvements on the 401 between Highway 4 and 402. However due to budget constraints and the fact that there's more important projects to be done, London's getting neglected again. All that's stated on their site is that they plan to resurface the pavement in 2012.

But there's a lot more work to get done than that.
-Widen 401 to 6 lanes between Highway 4 and 402.
-Reconstruct Highway 4/401 cloverleaf, including a new overpass
-New overpass at Tempo Road
-New interchange at Wonderland Road, including a new overpass
-New overpass at Westminster Drive
-Install overhead signs and high mast lighting (maybe)

So there's a lot on their plate for this relatively short section of highway, but that's what happens when you neglect it for so long.
Let's be honest. None of the above really benefits Londoners travel within the city. Our in city transport network sucks.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:20 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Our in city transport network sucks.
No question.

Just indicating that this section of the 401 needs some serious work, and it's really an exception because the MTO usually does good upkeep on the 400-series.
-For example, I was driving on Highway 402 yesterday and they're doing resurfacing/roadwork between Highway 4 and 401... but the current asphalt is in pretty good condition.

If only London got a project like the Windsor-Essex Parkway. It would help our terrible road network and add some much needed jobs.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
No question.

Just indicating that this section of the 401 needs some serious work, and it's really an exception because the MTO usually does good upkeep on the 400-series.
-For example, I was driving on Highway 402 yesterday and they're doing resurfacing/roadwork between Highway 4 and 401... but the current asphalt is in pretty good condition.

If only London got a project like the Windsor-Essex Parkway. It would help our terrible road network and add some much needed jobs.
The province's goal isn't too ensure that inter-city traffic is looked after - rather it's to connect cities to cities. Last time I checked, the 400 series highways around London never ever had any congestion at any time, the 402 is always at a high level of Service, and I've NEVER had any problems there.

I easily believe widening the 401 between Guelph and Milton/Mississauga would serve a MUCH better benefit to more people than doing any additional work on the 401.

the roads in London could use some work, but that's not the province's fault. Yes, Airport/VMP used to be provincial, and same with Highbury, but they mainly became City roads servicing local traffic only. Blame the City for its poor upkeep more than anything.

Is the 401 between Highway 4 and the 402 REALLY that bad? Man, I wish I could steal some of the lanes you have and put them out where I live. Half the time I'm in rural areas travelling 60 - 70 km/h on the Trans Canada because there's only 2 lanes in each direction (and it easily caries more traffic than the 401 between London and Woodstock)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:38 AM
User Registered

Ok the MTO has released their 2011-2015 Southern Highways program.

It includes:
-2013-2016: Highway 401 "Colonel Talbot Rd. to Veterans Memorial Parkway, London including Wonderland Road and Veterans Memorial Pkwy New interchange / interchange improvements"

Link to project: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...-to-2015.shtml

...That is, if the Liberals are re-elected.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:06 AM

Here's some food for thought. What if there was a west-leg of the London Ring Road, and an extension of St. Thomas' Highway 3 bypass. An interchange with the 401 might look like this:

I know the dimensions might be a little off, but I like playing around with the Google Maps style.

Also here's how an extension of the Highway 3 bypass might be built, complete with interchanges. This freeway would service approximately 100,000 people if built today. However, considering it probably won't even be considered for another few decades, it will probably serve upwards to 250,000 people.

Click on image for bigger version.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:43 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Cool! Nice job.

Unfortunately I don't think that Tillsonburg, and St. Thomas really need a highway to connect them, but the western end of the ring road is needed. Seeing a stack interchange in London would be awesome! Could you do one that shows an entire ring road around the city?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

really neat concept/mockup map. Would cost a fortune (economics/need of connecting Tillsonburg/St. Thomas are thin). But some kind of expressway (at least an urban boulevard concept) is badly needed in the west end. Hyde Park is a fukin joke (a dirt road might be an improvement) and on wonderland the traffic flows at unwonderful speeds.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Ok the MTO has released their 2011-2015 Southern Highways program.

It includes:
-2013-2016: Highway 401 "Colonel Talbot Rd. to Veterans Memorial Parkway, London including Wonderland Road and Veterans Memorial Pkwy New interchange / interchange improvements"

Link to project: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...-to-2015.shtml

...That is, if the Liberals are re-elected.
Target completion date...2016 I really hope complete means for everything being the #4 new overpass, 3 lanes from #4 to 402, new Wonderland Rd S/401 overpass as well as VMP overpass completed.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:49 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Target completion date...2016 I really hope complete means for everything being the #4 new overpass, 3 lanes from #4 to 402, new Wonderland Rd S/401 overpass as well as VMP overpass completed.
From what I read this morning the MTO has identified replacing the Westminster Drive overpass sooner than later, as it's in rough shape and can only accommodate 4 lanes of Highway 401 under it.

Link: http://highway401-3bridges.ca/

So that's step in the right direction. However Tempo Road and the Highway 4 overpasses are still too narrow.
-The Highway 4 cloverleaf has a weave lane on each side and if it was converted to a diamond interchange that could become the third lane in each direction. That's how 6 lanes were squeezed onto the 401 between London and Woodstock in the early 90's.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
^Cool! Nice job.

Unfortunately I don't think that Tillsonburg, and St. Thomas really need a highway to connect them, but the western end of the ring road is needed. Seeing a stack interchange in London would be awesome! Could you do one that shows an entire ring road around the city?
The freeway through St. Thomas and Tillsonburg would support more than those two municipalities. It would continue on as the current Highway 3, servicing Simcoe, Port Colborne, Fort Erie, etc.

And the interchange I drew up is not a stack interchange. All the bridges only have to go over one other road. It would be a tight interchange, and I'm sure it's not up to MTO freeway-to-freeway interchange standards. Especially how two of the ramps branch off from the left side of the road. But still, fun to look at. (Also notice how you have no connection from WB 3 to EB 401, and WB 401 to EB 3, as those ramps would be redundant.)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
The freeway through St. Thomas and Tillsonburg would support more than those two municipalities. It would continue on as the current Highway 3, servicing Simcoe, Port Colborne, Fort Erie, etc.

And the interchange I drew up is not a stack interchange. All the bridges only have to go over one other road. It would be a tight interchange, and I'm sure it's not up to MTO freeway-to-freeway interchange standards. Especially how two of the ramps branch off from the left side of the road. But still, fun to look at. (Also notice how you have no connection from WB 3 to EB 401, and WB 401 to EB 3, as those ramps would be redundant.)
Fantastic concept. I really like the Highway 3 connection from Highway 401 east to St. Thomas. That I certainly could see working - don't see a need for the St. Thomas-Alymer-Tillsonburg section. Traffic on there heading east is generally accommodated with how Highway 3 is, and Highway 401/403/QEW works pretty good for now for connecting to the Niagara Peninsula.

do you think the MTO would want to take over the west-end ring road of London and route Highway 4 from Arva down to Westdel Bourne and avoid downtown?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 6:20 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Fdon't see a need for the St. Thomas-Alymer-Tillsonburg section.
Agreed. A Highway 3 freeway from the 401/Westdel to St. Thomas is enough.

They certainly had a big vision for the Highway 3 freeway, too bad only one portion of it was built, and only a phase one of that portion.

Quote:
do you think the MTO would want to take over the west-end ring road of London and route Highway 4 from Arva down to Westdel Bourne and avoid downtown?
Short answer: no. Technically Highway 4 doesn't exist in London except between Lambeth and the south city limits. The province downloaded many King's highways to municipalities and they don't want any of them back.

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure