HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:49 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
And for the record, I do own 25 acres of open farmland just a stone’s throw from the west side of the COTA property.
Nice! Have you ever had anyone approach you to buy it? I'm not asking for myself or anyone, just curious.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:09 AM

From tonight's City Council meeting:

Economic Development Department

7. Approve a resolution to authorize the Circuit Events Local Organizing Committee to act on behalf of the City for the Texas Events Trust Fund for the purpose of conducting economic studies, submitting applications, and submitting any required funding to the Texas Office of the Governor for IndyCar events to be held at the Circuit of the Americas facility.
Approved on Consent

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Nice! Have you ever had anyone approach you to buy it? I'm not asking for myself or anyone, just curious.
Not really, just a couple of “fishing” inquiries.
Guess my kids might see it move someday, but it doesn’t cost much at all to keep it (ag expempted).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 7:02 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Not really, just a couple of “fishing” inquiries.
Guess my kids might see it move someday, but it doesn’t cost much at all to keep it (ag expempted).
Nice. I'd be interested to see when that area picks up more.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
wow!..now just NASCAR left....anyone with a strong opinion/insider info on NASCAR one day at COTA?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

WOW and YESSSS!

I'll be there! Maybe Rick Mears, Sneva, Rutherford, Andretti, Sullivan can make guest appearances in the inauguration.
Those are the drivers I followed in the 80s.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:03 PM

Overall it's been quite a good year for COTA. They didn't manage to stop MLS, but they did get a USL team. They avoided a competing US F1 race with Miami dropping off the calendar for at least another year. They landed Indycar, despite strong opposition by the TMS owner. And they somehow continue to be on the MotoGP calendar for 2019 (the original 5 year agreement ended this year, and the riders have had real problems with the track the past 2 years).

And they swapped places with Mexico for 2019, so they are not the lead-in of the two. Which I think is better spot, but not sure.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
wow!..now just NASCAR left....anyone with a strong opinion/insider info on NASCAR one day at COTA?
NASCAR would have to give up a race. They already run 39 races a year. Martinsville has 2 races, and I don't like 1/2 mile flat tracks so my hope would be they cough up a race in favor of COTA, but diehard fans crave the short tracks, (I prefer the high banked Bristol), so there would be some pushback before that happens. Dover has two races, but it is a popular venue among the drivers because it is a very fast 1 mile oval. TMS has two, but track manager, Eddie Gossage will fight tooth and nail to prevent Texas, mainly COTA, from getting a race out of fear that a venue here would cut into his two race date attendance, which may not be unfounded. TMS is an amazing facility and a fast track. They won't give up or lose any of their 2 races. But with the vast majority races run on ovals, out of the 39, only 4 races are run on something other than. Sonoma, road course, Watkins Glenn, road course, and I'll include the 2 races at Pocono because its a trioval with 3 distinct corners, love that track. So NASCAR would have to feel the need to eliminate an all left turn race for another road course. With a shrinking fan base partly due to the retirement and aging of its most popular drivers such as Earnhardt, Gordon, and Stewart to name a few, adding COTA could be a topic of discussion among the NASCAR execs as a possible way to curb fan defection. But another issue could be turn 1 at COTA. When Kurt Busch brought his stock car here a few years ago, he commented that half the field could be lost on that first turn alone, and that (joking), there may be only 3 cars racing at the end. Attrition via accidents could claim more than half the field. Over taking would be difficult with the heavy clunky stock cars. They aren't nearly as nimble as CART or F1. The race may or may not be that interesting or competitive to watch, well maybe interesting at least. It would also be expensive for the owners, many of whom will have mangled cars to bring home. For all of the obstacles in the way, the biggest positive would be the need to bring a new venue and road course to their long and sometimes boring season, and perhaps generate some new fans. For that reason, I would give COTA at least a 25% chance of getting a NASCAR race.
I get that number unscientifically by this. Minus 25% - NASCAR already has too many races, they won't add more. Minus 25% - they would have to take a race away from an existing venue and deal with fan and track owner resistance and backlash, they can't afford to lose fans. Minus 25% Eddie Gossage's influence from TMS, can't underestimate his desire NOT to see a race at COTA. Minus 25% - the track layout at COTA. It was not built for competitive Stock Car racing. Plus 25% - the need to stall the decreasing fan base, a shot in the arm COTA could bring to a sport that is losing fans every year by evidence of the ever increasing empty seats during the races and lower tv ratings.

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 4, 2018 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:12 PM

Thanks Genral.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 9:05 PM

More info was added to the COTA PUD Development Assessment. It's too early for specific building info. But the height was listed as 200' which roughly matches the renderings we've seen of the condo buildings.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3505807

The 1000+ acre PUD literally wraps around the track.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post

And they swapped places with Mexico for 2019, so they are not the lead-in of the two. Which I think is better spot, but not sure.
Basically Mexico stayed on the same weekend it's on now, and Austin was moved later at Mexico's request. They wanted to go first this time and always want the Dia de los Muertos weekend tie-in.

Last edited by turn1; Oct 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:02 PM

The USL "stadium" at COTA is officially underway.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...it-of-the.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:26 AM
World Traveler

Now, if they can fill that stadium, host an F1 race, and have a concert at the amphitheater simultaneously, I'll be impressed.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Now, if they can fill that stadium, host an F1 race, and have a concert at the amphitheater simultaneously, I'll be impressed.
Might come close. They were quoted as wanting to have a game on the same weekend as Indycar. They'll just need to book a concert.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 2:33 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
...They didn't manage to stop MLS...
I wouldn't go that far, yet. Several of COTA's investors are major funders of IndyAustin (the group trying to kill the McKalla land deal), the Laura Morrison for Mayor campaign and a few council member candidates.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 1:29 AM
World Traveler

Question: Was IndyAustin for or against the COTA track and F1 back in the day? Don't know the history of IndyAustin that well or when they started...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 2:26 PM
Love Austin

IndyAustin is the worst! They are the people behind killing land use reform, trying to kill MLS and pretty much always involved if there is a way to stop any kind of progress or anything interesting from happening.

It's Linda Curtis and Fred Lewis--two folks who LOVE seeing their name in print and are card carrying NIMBYs. They're good at pulling the wool over our eyes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 9:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Screw COTA! In fact, would it really be a huge (felt) hit on the city if F1 left? Their numbers continue to fall year-over-year & there is absolutely zero interaction with the city after year's 1 & 2 (Fan Fest Downtown - after kicking Tavo to the streets). Look what Tavo is doing now...re-establishing & managing F1's most popular race, by total attendance, in Mexico City (and he lives in Bee Cave/Spanish Oaks)!

With or without MLS, the "bold" was doomed to fail from the get-go based on location alone.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Screw COTA! In fact, would it really be a huge (felt) hit on the city if F1 left? Their numbers continue to fall year-over-year & there is absolutely zero interaction with the city after year's 1 & 2 (Fan Fest Downtown - after kicking Tavo to the streets). Look what Tavo is doing now...re-establishing & managing F1's most popular race, by total attendance, in Mexico City (and he lives in Bee Cave/Spanish Oaks)!

With or without MLS, the "bold" was doomed to fail from the get-go based on location alone.
Wow.

Yes, it would be bad. F1 loves Austin and many of us love going to the track for F1. Attendance was great this year (and every year since the 2015 flood actually).

I don't agree with any of their plans to derail an MLS team but I don't understand you hoping F1 would leave Austin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin