HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:07 AM

Canadian Rugby Star Adam Zaruba Takes Part In First Eagles Practice
David George philadelphiaeagles.com Jul 28, 2017

This has kind of flown under the radar and I'm not sure where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread.

Enter Canadian rugby sevens star Adam Zaruba.

Four days ago, the Eagles signed Zaruba to a three-year contract and watched their new tight end take the fields at the NovaCare Complex on Friday morning. After landing in Philadelphia last night around 9 p.m., the coaches are easing him into practice, working on his technique, and introducing him to the playbook. Zaruba has an opportunity to make the jump from professional rugby to the NFL.

“It’s been a dream of mine to do this for quite some time. Rugby has been my focus for the last four years, but I’ve always wanted to come back and give football a shot and this opportunity is awesome,” Zaruba said. “I’m thankful for it and it was a lot of fun. Today was a good day.”

The Eagles’ newcomer will have his hands full making some adjustments. For starters, he’ll have to adapt to the NFL field size which measures 30 feet longer and 70 feet narrower than a rugby field. The rugby sevens’ two seven-minute halves become four NFL 15 minute quarters along with an additional eight more players on the field. To make matters more intriguing, Zaruba will have to quickly familiarize himself with the Eagles’ playbook.

“Athletically, I know I can shape up and do it. It’s going to be getting in the book and learning everything and making sure that I can adapt to all of the systems,” Zaruba said. ”But I’m feeling good, every day keep getting better and see what happens.”

In addition, Zaruba will be asked to do something he wasn’t required at all to do in rugby. Blocking.

“I have played football before so I do know somewhat about blocking," Zaruba said. "The techniques are a lot different and it’s going to be more complex, but the coaches are going to work with me every day. I just have to work on the technique but I think I’ll be able to pick it up.”

On the flip side, there are parts of Zaruba’s game he believes will translate and maybe even give him an upper hand. His athleticism in high school allowed him to play at multiple positions on both sides of the football, at tight end, slot receiver, defensive end, and kick returner. He has the experience of playing professional rugby for the past four years. But most of all, Zaruba is accustomed to the innate physicality that sets rugby apart.

“It’s a different kind of game and it is a different movement set, but physically it’s helped prepare me and I think that’s a big one,” Zaruba said. “I’m not worried as much physically about being able to go out there and do the job. It’s about the technical aspect of it.”

Zaruba will even have to make minor adjustments catching the ball given that the dimensions of a football are slightly slimmer and longer than a rugby ball. He intends on spending extra time after practice but remains confident in his catching ability.

“I have big hands and I think that I can catch the ball,” he indicated. “The ball is coming at you at a different velocity and it’s different than rugby, so I’m going to have to get used to that, but I think the ball skills and the handling skills are something that will be an attribute of mine.”

Video Link

During his first practice, Zaruba was getting to know his teammates on the fly, briefly introducing himself on the sidelines in between drills. When asked about the other Eagles tight ends, Zaruba stated he has yet to have the chance to catch up with veterans Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, and Trey Burton.

“I just met them today, like this morning,” Zaruba stated. “We just had our first session so I haven’t really got a chance to sit with them in a meeting or do anything like that, but I’ve been talking to Billy (Brown) a little bit so he’s going to help me out, but I’ve just got to get settled in and meet the guys.”

The 6-5, 265-pound Vancouver native initially had another workout set up with the Seahawks next week, but once Philadelphia gave him a call he immediately changed his mind.

“I had a good conversation with (the Eagles) on the phone and they were pretty quick to bring me out so I was really excited about that,” Zaruba commented. “I came out here and then they wanted to sign me right away and I did it and I wasn’t going to turn it down. Absolutely not. I got a really good vibe coming here, I liked it here, everyone was really friendly and I just felt like this was the place I wanted to be.”

Fans will be able to catch Zaruba in action this Sunday, July 30 as the Eagles will have their first Open Practice at Lincoln Financial Field.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:19 PM

A Day In The Life of a Football

This football's life changed when it became a candidate for Catch of the Year.

Video Link

It was then hand delivered to a 12 year old cancer survivor.

And then retired for the night to its new safe place

Last edited by elly63; Jul 31, 2017 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:29 PM

^ Aww

What a crazy catch. As impressive as any that I've ever seen.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:15 PM

^^^ Glad to see he redeemed himself after his ridiculously stupid "what did your daddy ever do" trash talk. Needs to grow up but nice to see he has SOME class.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Facebook, fantasy & flag: How the CFL's new boss plans to woo young fans

The Canadian Football League's new commissioner says he's determined to attract more young fans by improving the 'fan experience'. Randy Ambrosie speaks to BNN's Paige Ellis about building the brand, stadium renovations and developing new talent.
Wonder what the plan is for Calgary. The attendance hasn't been that bad but had 4 tickets for Saturdays game and literally could not give them away. My son and his friends had zero interest in going to McMahon Stadium which they call bush league. I can hardly argue with them. Personally I'd love to see them blow it up and build something like Regina has but not gonna happen - at least not in this lifetime.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
^^^ Glad to see he redeemed himself after his ridiculously stupid "what did your daddy ever do" trash talk. Needs to grow up but nice to see he has SOME class.
In fairness to Carter, who for a moment thinks that he doesn't routinely get taunted about something involving his dad?

Quote:
Personally I'd love to see them blow it up and build something like Regina has but not gonna happen - at least not in this lifetime.
Whatever happened to that Calgary can-do spirit? There was a time when you guys would have showed the rest of the country how it was done.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In fairness to Carter, who for a moment thinks that he doesn't routinely get taunted about something involving his dad?

Whatever happened to that Calgary can-do spirit? There was a time when you guys would have showed the rest of the country how it was done.
I know! I really miss those days. Things have really changed here over the years though and the type of folks who had that attitude seem to be long gone :-(

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Personally I'd love to see them blow it up and build something like Regina has but not gonna happen - at least not in this lifetime.
I don't believe that. You are there and would know better than me but aside from a hostile mayor, politicians and needs and wants come and go.

I can't see such a "can do" place as Calgary (or at least it once was) remain as the "poor sister" facility wise of the CFL. I think Ottawa had far more hostility (from many angles) against the new stadium plan and look how things turned out there. I'm confident Calgary will get something done and in a big way.

Remember, on average, it takes about eight years before the talk of a new stadium becomes a completed stadium. Regina was able to do it a little quicker.

You need good new facilities as a recruiting tool and the ownership is smart enough to know that. They just don't want to have to foot the bill and are playing the game like everybody does.

Regina proved you can have a beautiful facility for a reasonable price and the structure in Calgary is getting near 60 years old (although it may still be in good shape). It may not be long before they get to the point (like Hamilton) where they will be forced to get a new building.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:01 PM

^^^ I would LOVE for you to be right Elly - I really would. However, the Stamps are second class citizens in Calgary and with the Flames wanting a new arena, the best football fans here can expect will be renos to mcmahon which will do nothing to attract new/younger fans IMO. I took the family to Regina to see Riders play and it was off the charts great as you already know. You can't get that with renos to a 60 years + old facility, especially when its basically just cheap grandstands on both sides. All the season ticket holders I know at least - feel pretty much the same way but feels like the Flames and the city as a whole don't really care what happens, as long as we get that arena. And that's been a never ending soap opera on its own.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:10 PM

^ Winnipeg went through far worse (our hockey team even left, for pete's sake) but in the end we got the new rink and the new stadium. And this is a city with far fewer resources than Calgary. And "rank" doesn't mean much... the Goldeyes have a tiny fanbase compared to the Jets and Bombers and they were the very first ones to get a new generation facility here with their beautiful ballpark.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that. You are there and would know better than me but aside from a hostile mayor, politicians and needs and wants come and go.

I can't see such a "can do" place as Calgary (or at least it once was) remain as the "poor sister" facility wise of the CFL. I think Ottawa had far more hostility (from many angles) against the new stadium plan and look how things turned out there. I'm confident Calgary will get something done and in a big way.

Remember, on average, it takes about eight years before the talk of a new stadium becomes a completed stadium. Regina was able to do it a little quicker.

You need good new facilities as a recruiting tool and the ownership is smart enough to know that. They just don't want to have to foot the bill and are playing the game like everybody does.

Regina proved you can have a beautiful facility for a reasonable price and the structure in Calgary is getting near 60 years old (although it may still be in good shape). It may not be long before they get to the point (like Hamilton) where they will be forced to get a new building.
The hostility came mostly from the local NIMBYs in Ottawa. Most of the city was on-board with the plan and were anxious to bring football back to Ottawa. Lansdowne Park had become mostly a decrepit parking lot with a few run down buildings, so there was an appetite for something new on the site. The ownership group did a lot of things right with the marketing of the team, and the redevelopment of the area (that was part of the project) was part of the success. The new Lansdowne development actually makes summer games the place to be. Who wouldn't want to be at an outdoor patio with your friends before and after the game on a warm summer's evening? The transportation plan also supports it with buses arriving and departing up to 90 minutes before and after the game to all parts of the city. The party atmosphere around the stadium has gone a long way to attracting a new generation of fans. The design of the stadium itself also encourages socializing with your friends even while not at your seat and you can still watch the game from many locations while picking up your beverages or snacks of choice.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
You can't get that with renos to a 60 years + old facility, especially when its basically just cheap grandstands on both sides. All the season ticket holders I know at least - feel pretty much the same way but feels like the Flames and the city as a whole don't really care what happens, as long as we get that arena. And that's been a never ending soap opera on its own.
Oh, I agree with that, the only "reno" that will suffice is to basically knock it down and build it up again on the same site.

The arena will come first to keep up with the Jones' (read YEG) but the city will need a new stadium for other events aside from football and the Stamps do have powerful ownership so it's not like the olden days in the CFL.

It will happen, as it has in nearly every other place in Canada, it's just a matter of timing. And I think the situation in Calgary is far more amenable than the situation in some other cities where there was far more opposition.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The hostility came mostly from the local NIMBYs in Ottawa.
Who were pretty active and vocal. Also the naysayers with the old three time losers argument. But it got done and look at them now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, I agree with that, the only "reno" that will suffice is to basically knock it down and build it up again on the same site.

The arena will come first to keep up with the Jones' (read YEG) but the city will need a new stadium for other events aside from football and the Stamps do have powerful ownership so it's not like the olden days in the CFL.

It will happen, as it has in nearly every other place in Canada, it's just a matter of timing. And I think the situation in Calgary is far more amenable than the situation in some other cities where there was far more opposition.
Would you like to be our mayor elly?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Who were pretty active and vocal. Also the naysayers with the old three time losers argument. But it got done and look at them now.
The loser mentality that it was bound to fail again in Ottawa did come out, but mostly from the same NIMBYs as part of their argument. What sold it all was that many of Ottawa's major developers were part of OSEG and their reputations were on the line. They were patient with the NIMBY issue and they were determined to make it a success.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
The loser mentality that it was bound to fail again in Ottawa did come out, but mostly from the same NIMBYs as part of their argument. What sold it all was that many of Ottawa's major developers were part of OSEG and their reputations were on the line. They were patient with the NIMBY issue and they were determined to make it a success.
And did and that's what's needed.

And speaking of ownership, haven't seen much here about the rumours of the Lions being sold at the end of the year to Canucks Sports & Entertainment and prominent local businessman and former CFLer David Sidoo. More good news if it comes to fruition, another rich former CFLer businessman to come out of the woodwork and try and grow something he loves, a la the Commish.

Funny I've never read an article about Commish Ambrosie that basically said that he was a guy who didn't need the job, he wanted it. A good spot for the league as I was leery about Orridge from the beginning (as my posts would show) as CBC Sports pretty much died under his watch.

Last edited by elly63; Jul 31, 2017 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Would you like to be our mayor elly?
You might need one. I've always found that the people who complain about such construction are a very vocal minority and most people will approve of these projects if they are reasonable. And if you can get reasonable (like Hamilton) and reasonable and fantastic (like Regina) people will be cool with it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Just wondering what your thoughts are about the stadium itself. Aside from the veil there doesn't seem to be too much that is out of the ordinary, but is the layout and the ability of people to roam about the big attraction?

Curious, because it seems to be the place to be and I'm wondering what is in the stadium itself that helps with that end.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
You might need one. I've always found that the people who complain about such construction are a very vocal minority and most people will approve of these projects if they are reasonable. And if you can get reasonable (like Hamilton) and reasonable and fantastic (like Regina) people will be cool with it.
Or do it like Ottawa. Make it part of a mixed use redevelopment so that the profits from the redevelopment will help subsidize the rebuild of the stadium. Calgary has an advantage over Ottawa in that the McMahon site has a LRT station close by. Like Ottawa, the McMahon site is a giant parking lot. Push parking underground and turn it into a mixed use community. The RedBlacks have thrived without parking on site (underground parking is reserved for residents and other businesses on site) and with an effective transportation plan.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:07 PM

It was always kind of hard to find numbers on what the actual cost for the stadium itself was (excluding the Civic Centre). Was it 110 million? Or did that include the refurb to the arena?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada