HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Wasn't the Notre Dame game a sellout? Texas plays Ohio State and Michigan in Austin in the next decade. Those two could be sellouts. The USC game this season might be a sellout too.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:33 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Wasn't the Notre Dame game a sellout? Texas plays Ohio State and Michigan in Austin in the next decade. Those two could be sellouts. The USC game this season might be a sellout too.
There's no might. USC will definitely be packed.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:43 AM
World Traveler

I think Ohio State and Michigan will sell out also, largely because they have huge alumni and fan bases, and there are a lot of people in Austin (and elsewhere in Texas) who would come to see those games. The UT crowd would also be heavier than other games only because those two schools are pretty big deals in their own right.

And would this be the first time UT and USC have played each other since 2005? Either way, I agree - it will sell out, no doubt.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:57 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think Ohio State and Michigan will sell out also, largely because they have huge alumni and fan bases, and there are a lot of people in Austin (and elsewhere in Texas) who would come to see those games. The UT crowd would also be heavier than other games only because those two schools are pretty big deals in their own right.

And would this be the first time UT and USC have played each other since 2005? Either way, I agree - it will sell out, no doubt.
They played last year in LA.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:14 PM

L

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Largest Crowds at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium

1. 102,315 Notre Dame 2016
2. 101,851 West Virginia 2012
3. 101,624 Rice 2011
4. 101,474 Ole Miss 2013
5. 101,437 UCLA 2010
6. 101,357 Kansas 2009
7. 101,353 Baylor 2012
8. 101,339 Wyoming 2010
9. 101,297 Texas Tech 2009
10. 101,152 Colorado 2009
10. 101,144 UTEP 2009

The drought ends with USC this season.
That's how winning can fill the stands, even VS teams like Kansas, Colorado, and UTEP in 2009 when they went undefeated until they lost to Alabama in the National Championship game. They could have played Poughkeepsie High School and still filled the seats that year. Fickle fans only come out and support their teams when they are winning. That's probably true for other schools but its quite noticeable here in Austin. UT admin has to keep tweaking game day atmosphere to get more fair weather fans to show up for both basketball and football games. It amazes me how Texas fans will travel and fill half the Rose Bowl when UT is playing well, but won't bother to support their team during home games when they're not. ND fans show up even when their team sucks. FFFFer's. Freakin Fair weather Fickle Fans. I go there occasional with my Longhorn fan wife and brother in law just because I like watching football and always get f'ed with for wearing my Aggie cap, (which I expect and do to f with them back,) but at least they are loyal fans like my wife and her brother who should also be embarrassed by the empty seats and how quiet the stadium can get during the game. You really shouldn't need the giant jumbotron to prompt you to make noise every time your competitor has the ball. And it won't get much better when the seats are filled with newcomers who don't really give a shit about UT but like watching ANY football game...like me. Hence the constant need to enhance the game day atmosphere, and spend a shit ton more money to do just that. And yeah I know its also to make the coaches happy with new offices overlooking the field and generate more cash with high dollar box seats. That makes sense. But the most rational thought process was not expanding the seating capacity. That makes the most sense to me. Someone at UT knows about how fickle UT fans are which is why the new basketball arena is being downsized and DRK seating capacity will probably never increase by much if at all. Come to think of it, its older than the Erwin Center, maybe someday they'll tear it down and downsize it too.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 13, 2018 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:50 AM

Gameday experience / capacity aside, the thing that excites me most about this project is the prospect of finally having state-of-the-art facilities. We've had no place to build a brand new field house for years. All of these small-town rural universities have been building whatever the hell they want because they have all the space in the world and our facilities have been looking really dated in comparison.

Well, we're about to show them what big money really looks like.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:53 PM

https://texassports.com/news/2018/9/...-of-texas.aspx

"The University of Texas announced architecture firm Populous as the designers of its Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium south end zone expansion and renovation"

Seems like Populous has a monopoly on sports architecture.... the article also says groundbreaking is supposed to be summer of next year.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:02 PM

Looks good.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:40 PM

I like it. I have seen other people say it looks too modern but it matches how the rest of the new buildings on campus look.

Space for a new training facility has always been an issue but this will give us the opportunity to build one and that's much-needed in order to keep up with our competitors.

Build it!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:47 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm all for the glitz, and we definitely need new training facilities. I'm just not a fan of those tiers on either side, and that Longhorn logo is too cheesy for my tastes. It's like putting a bunch of aftermarket chrome on a pickup truck.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:49 PM
Meh

Honestly, there's probably nothing left of the original superstructure of the original stadium. It's kind of crazy to think that the stadium is closing in on 100 years old, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:15 AM

I like it. The outer section matches well with the rest of the exterior. But honestly, the best improvement to date, cosmetically, is the paint job around the outside. It hides the age of the stadium well. And it looks like BEVO Blvd is a huge success and the start of a new tradition. Your new AD was spot on with that call. Even the USC fans apparently had a good time on it. I think the huge Longhorn in the south seats is a bit too much and takes away some seating. It would look better without that. I'm not into all the Longhorn things built into the architecture either. But when its all completed, DKR will be done, put a fork in it. What else can they do to it...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Honestly, there's probably nothing left of the original superstructure of the original stadium. It's kind of crazy to think that the stadium is closing in on 100 years old, but it sure doesn't look like it.
There's still some. There are kinesiology classrooms and a gym inside the west side of the stadium that are very old...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:56 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I like it. The outer section matches well with the rest of the exterior. But honestly, the best improvement to date, cosmetically, is the paint job around the outside. It hides the age of the stadium well. And it looks like BEVO Blvd is a huge success and the start of a new tradition. Your new AD was spot on with that call. Even the USC fans apparently had a good time on it. I think the huge Longhorn in the south seats is a bit too much and takes away some seating. It would look better without that. I'm not into all the Longhorn things built into the architecture either. But when its all completed, DKR will be done, put a fork in it. What else can they do to it...

They need to paint the underside of the upper deck and light towers to match the Westside exterior.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
https://texassports.com/news/2018/9/...-of-texas.aspx

"The University of Texas announced architecture firm Populous as the designers of its Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium south end zone expansion and renovation"

Seems like Populous has a monopoly on sports architecture.... the article also says groundbreaking is supposed to be summer of next year.
Populous is one of about a half dozen firms that specialize in sports facilities. About half are based in Kansas City for some reason.

I just noticed that the balcony and player entrance form a huge Bevo symbol.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 7:10 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Looks good.

This looks AWESOME!!!

I would not be shocked if UT & Populous do not release the total seating capacity increase until the very end.

NOTE: Populous was the architect on A&M's most recent expansion.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but that's the point I was making. Who's to say that UT isn't vastly underrated this year at #22, or that USC isn't vastly overrated just the same was ND was last year? I just think we have more than a fluke chance to beat USC this year, that's all.
Just wanted to point out my accurate predictions about UT's football season here....

I'll take my award any time

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to point out my accurate predictions about UT's football season here....

I'll take my award any time
If you must say so yourself

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:39 PM

U.T. must be getting ready to start the expansion. There are new FAA permits for a 211' DKR structure and 305' crane.

Stadium:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0596368&row=99

Crane:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...773011&row=103

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin