HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 3:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

NS weekly wages are up a healthy 2.5% year-over-year to $832. NS is $118 below average for Canada but the gap has been narrowing.

My guess is if you corrected for urban vs. rural wages the gap would be quite small, particularly if you took out Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:54 PM
Fizzix geek

Some highlights from the email sent around this morning by the One NS Action Committee:

Quote:
The Halifax Partnership just launched The Game Changer Action Plan to encourage private-sector businesses to hire and retain youth. Local employers are answering the call;

The Province has committed to filling five per cent of new hires in the public service each year with new or recent grads with little or no experience but a great deal of skill and talent. Prior to this, most public service entry level positions required several years of experience. It begins by filling 70 public service jobs this fall with young workers;

New offshore exploration projects have been announced. Statoil Canada Ltd has committed to spending $82 million to explore two properties;

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Some highlights from the email sent around this morning by the One NS Action Committee:
Nice of them to ask private businesses to hire local while government contracts are sent elsewhere... heard an interesting sound byte from Information Morning... something to the effect of "they're not just exporting our tax dollars, they're exporting our children."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:37 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The publication that shall not be named ran a story about how BP is continuing to do exploratory drilling and is bullish on what they've seen so far. They claim there's a good chance the parcel they're looking at has about 800 million barrels of oil ($26B dollars worth at today's low prices), and that NS could eventually produce billions of barrels of oil.

I wonder if there will be a new round of offshore rig construction or if this is just a pipe dream? Would a project to extract this oil be viable given the current low prices, or is BP predicating all of this on an increase?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:54 AM

From what i understand they do need an increase in prices to make deepwater economical but nowhere near that of the oilsands. It will be interesting to hear the final findings.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
From what i understand they do need an increase in prices to make deepwater economical but nowhere near that of the oilsands. It will be interesting to hear the final findings.
That is interesting because the NS offshore was much slower to develop. Maybe there was some reason why the current parcels were not explored back in the 90's and earlier when the last generation of offshore projects was developed and there was more of a focus on natural gas.

One of the advantages NS has is water access. I guess they would be able to sell the oil for a higher price than pre-pipeline Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The publication that shall not be named ran a story about how BP is continuing to do exploratory drilling and is bullish on what they've seen so far. They claim there's a good chance the parcel they're looking at has about 800 million barrels of oil ($26B dollars worth at today's low prices), and that NS could eventually produce billions of barrels of oil.

I wonder if there will be a new round of offshore rig construction or if this is just a pipe dream? Would a project to extract this oil be viable given the current low prices, or is BP predicating all of this on an increase?
If a field is large enough they can produce to a floating production vessel/platform and load to tankers.
This is offshore Newfoundland :
http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/...ose-extension/
Construction would not take place in Canada, Korea has the experience.
The technical aspects of a discovery would determine the production cost.
Deepwater crude production offshore Africa and Brazil is not economic at the existing price but shutting in a field is costly. A floating production system cannot just be shut down until prices rise. It is a very challenging environment for offshore operators and the next 12 months will be very interesting.

http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...ffshore-brazil

http://www.epmag.com/sub-saharan-afr...h-world-838756

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
That is interesting because the NS offshore was much slower to develop. Maybe there was some reason why the current parcels were not explored back in the 90's and earlier when the last generation of offshore projects was developed and there was more of a focus on natural gas.

There was a huge amount of offshore activity here in the 1980s thanks to govt money and tax breaks for exploration. It was interesting b/c it was much like the film business used to be but on a much larger scale - lots of money floating around, people spending like they were already rich on parties, houses, booze, lush offices, expensive cars, etc. An artificial industry in many ways. Apparently they missed this one.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

New GDP growth estimates are out from the Conference Board of Canada.

Halifax's economy grew by 2.8% last year, after correcting for inflation. That is #4 of the cities that are tracked in Canada. It is expected to rise to second place for 2016 and grow by 2.9%. They're predicting 4,000 new jobs, around a 2% increase.

Statistics Canada's population estimate for 2015 meanwhile had Halifax at 417,800, up 4,200 from one year earlier. Right around 1% growth.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
New GDP growth estimates are out from the Conference Board of Canada.

Halifax's economy grew by 2.8% last year, after correcting for inflation. That is #4 of the cities that are tracked in Canada. It is expected to rise to second place for 2016 and grow by 2.9%. They're predicting 4,000 new jobs, around a 2% increase.

Statistics Canada's population estimate for 2015 meanwhile had Halifax at 417,800, up 4,200 from one year earlier. Right around 1% growth.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:35 PM

I have been following the Shell Canada offshore project for several weeks and it has been slow going, and now we know why.
CBC national news is reporting the drillship lost over 2 km of what they call 'pipe'. CBC may mean the riser rather than the pipe in the hole, the ship is drilling in 2,143 metres of water.
The CNOSPB weekly drilling reports show the following :

January 6 5510 m
January 13 5725 m
January 20 5725 m
January 27 5728 m
February 3 5805 m
February 10 6085 m
February 17 6085 m
February 24 6461 m
March 2 6672 m
http://www.cnsopb.ns.ca/offshore-act...tivity-reports

The lack of progress from January 13 - 27 may have been caused by adverse weather, drilling problems or testing. Last night I considered emailing CNSOPB to ask if winter weather had caused delays or forced the ship off the hole.
Amazing that the metro media never follow events which are out of sight.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:47 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I have been following the Shell Canada offshore project for several weeks and it has been slow going, and now we know why.
CBC national news is reporting the drillship lost over 2 km of what they call 'pipe'. CBC may mean the riser rather than the pipe in the hole, the ship is drilling in 2,143 metres of water.
The CNOSPB weekly drilling reports show the following :

January 6 5510 m
January 13 5725 m
January 20 5725 m
January 27 5728 m
February 3 5805 m
February 10 6085 m
February 17 6085 m
February 24 6461 m
March 2 6672 m
http://www.cnsopb.ns.ca/offshore-act...tivity-reports

The lack of progress from January 13 - 27 may have been caused by adverse weather, drilling problems or testing. Last night I considered emailing CNSOPB to ask if winter weather had caused delays or forced the ship off the hole.
Amazing that the metro media never follow events which are out of sight.
I had no idea that report existed. I tend to follow Coasting trade applications., but thas it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I had no idea that report existed. I tend to follow Coasting trade applications., but thas it.
Lost all the riser, 2000 metres lying on the sea floor. Quite a problem.
I no longer have the contacts in the industry that I had some years ago but I try to keep up to date.
The province is unwilling to provide details of the money they have set aside to compensate Exxon for decommissioning the Sable Offshore project and they rely on the inability/unwillingness of the press to not get out and look at costs elsewhere in the world. Even the unionised hacks at the Herald were rarely able to sniff out good stories.

Last edited by Colin May; Mar 8, 2016 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Lost all the riser, 2000 metres lying on the sea floor. Quite a problem.
I no longer have the contacts in the industry that I had some years ago but I try to keep up to date.
The province is unwilling to provide details of the money they have set aside to compensate Exxon for decommissioning the Sable Offshore project and they rely on the inability/unwillingness of the press to not get out and look at costs elsewhere in the world. Even the unionised hacks at the Herald were rarely able to sniff out good stories.
Seems like AllNS either read your post or has independently found the same information, because they have a story today about Shell losing their risers.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Seems like AllNS either read your post or has independently found the same information, because they have a story today about Shell losing their risers.
The CBC story appeared yesterday as I was writing my post, it had earlier appeared as a two sentence scroll on Channel 29.
I suspect there have been other storms which have caused Shell to temporarily cease drilling. CNSOPB is closed mouth and local media are too busy ambulance chasing.

Last edited by Colin May; Mar 8, 2016 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 2:50 AM

The riser from the drillship is approx 2,100 metres long, the same distance from the intersection of Cunard & Robie to the intersection of Inglis and Robie.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
\CNSOPB is closed mouth and local media are too busy ambulance chasing.
I can vouch for that statement. I was a witness to a car accident today and the CTV News camera showed up right after the ambulance did. Story didn't make the evening news but somewhere out there is a video of me standing on the sidewalk waiting to talk to the police.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 3:13 PM
Honored Member

I wonder about the accuracy of some of the Statistics Canada information. Their estimates indicate that the HRM has lost 3.3 thousand jobs from February 2015 to February 2016 - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...fss03a-eng.htm. However, I haven't heard of any large layoffs in the Halifax area and based on what I have read, jobs are being created for the ship-building contract and in construction.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I wonder about the accuracy of some of the Statistics Canada information. Their estimates indicate that the HRM has lost 3.3 thousand jobs from February 2015 to February 2016 - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...fss03a-eng.htm. However, I haven't heard of any large layoffs in the Halifax area and based on what I have read, jobs are being created for the ship-building contract and in construction.

This analysis helps bring some perspective:

http://www.novascotia.ca/finance/sta...&rdval=2016-03

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Unemployment is up at 6.8 percent as of February, at least half a percentage point above our usual norm. (But most cities have seen upticks in unemployment in recent months; the national labour market is pretty mediocre.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy