HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Tour Phare in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Puteaux (Paris) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 8:09 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
It's a blob with a bad hairdo. And originality in architecture is overrated.
I can just imagine the sterile glass boxes you enjoy.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 8:35 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 9:41 PM
Bombshell Vintage

^ That's awesome. Isn't it great to have a tower that conjures so many images?

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 3:12 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't think that post was funny at all. I like the tower. It has a great design. When you move about around the tower it will look like it changes shape. Not almost any tower can do that (didn't say no tower but almost no towers). I didn't really like it at first but it's grown on me a lot. It's modern architecture, what can you do. The back side looks good too. It makes the tower not go over board with the whole twisting design. The base is cool too, specially because it looks like it floats or like it's being held by 2 legs and it can walk any minute. Besides, this is France, they're ahead in architecture design.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Well, really, the whole idea of towers is vain and silly anyway. Skylines are a sort of strange penis-envy between cities. When people get so adamant about what towers "should" look like they are overlooking the fact that towers are just human creations and change with fashion... there are no rules. The skyscraper is a typology that broke the rules. Now it seems to have become obsessed with its own rules.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:46 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well, Idk. I don't think the tower is strange or silly. I agree when you say skyscrapers are affected by fashion but that doesn't make this tower silly. The whole rule thing idk either. Skyscrapers are built to house offices or residencies, I don't think there are any rules. The fashion of this skyscraper is just over it's time like most European cities. The Gherkin is a design that too went over board and now Spain has a version and pretty soon other towers like it will be built somewhere in the world (ex. Porsche Office Point Tower). The point is that the building looks nice, and maybe we critique the building because we like architecture but what do most people is Paris think about it?

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:35 AM
Bombshell Vintage

I didn't mean this tower is silly in particular. I meant skyscrapers in general. People take them so seriously but they are only buildings. Even the wildest building that is so controversial when it is first proposed eventually fades into the backdrop because people get used to it. At any rate, a wild or innovative building is far better than something sterile and boring. When people advocate only restrained, 'proper' towers I start to gag because we've seen them a million times already and who cares if there is another one built. On this forum it's sometimes like people want towers just to have more towers... That's vanity if you ask me.

As for what people who aren't skyscraper geeks think about the building... who knows? They'll probably see it, have a WTF?! moment, and have a range of ideas about it. Since it's not in central Paris I doubt too many Parisians will raise a stink. Curiously for me, this building was designed by an American at a time when Franco-American relations are really poor. To me that shows renewed interest in American art, at least at some level, and is a very positive thing.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:04 AM

Congratulations on having an opinion and all, but I think we heard enough from the people not liking this tower...

Last edited by SHiRO; May 14, 2008 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm0854 View Post
I didn't mean this tower is silly in particular. I meant skyscrapers in general. People take them so seriously but they are only buildings. Even the wildest building that is so controversial when it is first proposed eventually fades into the backdrop because people get used to it. At any rate, a wild or innovative building is far better than something sterile and boring. When people advocate only restrained, 'proper' towers I start to gag because we've seen them a million times already and who cares if there is another one built. On this forum it's sometimes like people want towers just to have more towers... That's vanity if you ask me.

As for what people who aren't skyscraper geeks think about the building... who knows? They'll probably see it, have a WTF?! moment, and have a range of ideas about it. Since it's not in central Paris I doubt too many Parisians will raise a stink. Curiously for me, this building was designed by an American at a time when Franco-American relations are really poor. To me that shows renewed interest in American art, at least at some level, and is a very positive thing.
Hmmm.. Good point(s). Some people on this forum do want buildings to just have some. And yes, we get used to skyscrapers after a while. I don't think I would gag is a square-ish tower was being built because most skyscrapers now have good details and colors to make them look good. And well, I would take a skyscraper seriously too. Although I could not do anything to change it I would still take a design very seriously. Well, central Paris would be tough to build on. Specially at this height.

The only thing I would change is the direction the building faces. I'd rather see the blob part face outwards and the square part into downtown but it's still pretty bitchin. But if the direction was changed then you would see the square part from the Eiffel Tower, so now that I think about it, I'm not sure what direction is best. There just needs to be an infill behind the square part which I assume will come in the next decades.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:23 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Congratulations on having an opinion and all, but I think we heard enough from the people not liking this tower...
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:08 PM

The construction would be delayed, according to some rumours. I'm not surprised.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:24 PM

It really does look like some fat seal with a bad hair do

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:36 AM
arkiloko...

you know? all of you remind me of an history chapter...
yeah!! that one which have a bunch of people going crazy for the construction of a 300 meters steel tower for an universal expo... ring a bell??
I mean... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and i know isn´t the best thing i've ever seen, but, gimme a break!!
HURRAY TO PARIS!!!, because it's the only place i know people don´t ask, just act, THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ALWAYS IN THE LEAD...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:28 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

New rendering of Tour Phare.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:28 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:30 AM
Stay Thirsty.

The Tour Shmoo lives on!

That is an interesting, closer look at the cladding on this thing. At first it looked like it would just be glass, now it would appear there are strips externally placed on the cladding, like a skin or something. Maybe similar to the Agbar exterior in Barcelona?

This building keeps getting funkier and funkier! Not saying it's good or bad, just saying.

Last edited by FrancoRey; Mar 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 1:30 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

so, it's been so long with this project . Credit crunched ?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:45 AM
Desert Dweller

The back is just a flat wall, god how awful.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The back is just a flat wall, god how awful.
yeah, it's like stupid. ugh.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 7:04 AM
Paris

Phare would be built in 2015 and not in 2012 (I don't know how to post for changing the year in this page : http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=57211

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.jdf.com/etude-sectorielle/2009/01/03/04011-20090103ARTHBD00093-focus-sur-trois-foncieres-au-coeur-de-l-actualite.php
Le géant de l'immobilier avait deux projets de tours à la Défense. L'un d'eux, la tour Phare, a été décalé de 2012 à 2015, démontrant bien là les difficultés du secteur des bureaux.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive