HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:52 AM
The City

The facade is better than that of Elysian, at least.

This facade at least has some ornamentation. Elysian should have had some.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:33 PM
Content provider

it's flying up now. maybe 3/4 of height?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:18 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
Look buddy. They're building crap and they're gonna make a killing on their investment and that's all they care about. Do you think this developer really cares that his building is fake or cheap or a false representation of a legitimate classic style. No way! All these guys care about is their bottom line and that's what they'll tell you coming out of the board room. Math is very simple and architecture doesn't always enter the conversation of math, balance sheets, budgets, and profits.

It's a damned world we live in and we no longer live in 1880 or 1920. So, if they are building crap in our cities, there's a calculated reason for that. It's the most profitable way the investors have come up with of making their profit, a return on their investment. Rare is it in this day and age that you can get a developer to build a masterpiece, an architectural marvel. That can take hoards of money and an enormous amount of refined and good taste.

Well, and given that we're humans and we can't agree on what good taste is, you'll never really get enough like-minded people to agree on what a beautiful structure looks like. But, if you ask most people, they will tell you Haussmanian architecture in Paris, Beaux-Arts buildings in New York and the John Hancock building in Chicago are beautiful All I know is history repeats itself and we are due for a true renaissance God willing
...And on that note...

For anyone here who's in the real estate industry in whatever capacity, is there room for a developer or an architect to upsell a client on high quality design (yeah, i know it's subjective), the idea being that their property will ultimately be more desireable and therefore more profitable in the long run? Or is that just naive?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
BANNED

^^^ There is always room for that, the problem is not everyone recognizes that. Not everyone is a visionary like Herb Greenwald. But some people spend years building schlock and then suddenly "get it" like Lowenburg who is suddenly extremely interested in good design ever since he stumbled across Jeanne Gang and made bank by taking a more progressive, risky approach to one of his towers...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametz View Post
...And on that note...

For anyone here who's in the real estate industry in whatever capacity, is there room for a developer or an architect to upsell a client on high quality design (yeah, i know it's subjective), the idea being that their property will ultimately be more desireable and therefore more profitable in the long run? Or is that just naive?
Yes it's possible...incrementally. But an entire exterior? Should have been able to sell traditional high end facade from the get-go or not go that route at all. We know the architect is a traditionalist, but I doubt a limestone facade was proposed, then VE-ed out. The previous experience of all the other projects leads me to believe he had been planning to specify a precast clad exterior all along.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 1:24 PM

Feb 10

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 11:30 PM

Today on the Ohio off ramp

Are they topped out now?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Le Cantilever

Has anyone else noticed this building has what looks to be a pretty interesting cantilever over the roof of the Farwell portion on the south side?

urbanturf.com

Its too bad this design sucks or the cantilever could have been an interesting element of a striking design...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 11:54 PM
dream fast

3-16

Last edited by george; Mar 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 2:32 AM

Looks like 4 or 5 more regular floors to go before they hit mechanical/penthouse/mansard, whatever.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 4:15 AM

I never really cared for Omni, now I wish it wasn't blocked by this "thing."

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 2:50 PM
dream fast

I'd say the Ritz and the Omni deserve each other. The crown of the Ritz is tacky.
I am looking forward to the return of the old "Landmark Farwell Building" limestone panels.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:00 PM

http://www.theresidenceschicago.com/

There is 3 dimensional tour of sorts at this website.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:22 PM
BANNED

The Omni has always been one of my architectural guilty pleasures. I know I should hate it so much for being nasty pomo, but I still like it. I think its because its "pomo done right" with quality materials and a ridiculous overblown characature of traditional styles.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametz View Post
...And on that note...

They don't look at their returns on a long-term enough perspective for it. Unless you get a client looking to make a statement, which in developer-speak means the client is putting their own money on the line to "upgrade" to a higher level of design, you're getting cheap developer-schlock because it's the highest impact to their own immediate bottom line.

On a smaller scale, for instance, a developer will budget for say, a million dollar core & shell building. This might be four block walls with face brick, a roof, and whatever glass is required by code. If the tenant wants to have an interesting storefront, an allowance is created in the lease and the tenant has to kick in its own money. Maybe they split the difference in cost as part of the negotiations.

If the tenant wants to make a statement at a location, and alter the building, the developer says, "Here's my million dollar box, how different do you want it?"

The tenant comes in with their own design concept, and that gets budgeted accordingly, let's say to $1.6 million. Then everyone freaks out and says it's way too much and it gets VE'd and the cost differences get negotiated, and somewhere there's a middling design that's way better than the original nothing box, but not as good as what could have been, and it's like $1.3 million. The developer and the tenant figure out some way to divvy up that $300K so that either the tenant kicks it all in up front, or so that the developer will recoup the "extra" $300K he spent up front within a short period in the lease rates.

Generally, the developer always wants his profit as high as possible, and as fast as possible. Few of them could seem to care less about how things actually look at the end of the day.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 5:00 PM

March 2

View from NMH

March 15

From Wabash

Mich ave.

Embed plates in action

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 4:40 PM
dream fast

^Nice shots, harry. Thanks for the glimpses and details.^

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 9:03 PM

Weldings on Embed Plates

Hello harryc

Thank you for the new photos.

This one you took is interesting as it captures some very UGLY weldings.

Embed plates in action

Close up of welds captured by harryc, with comments added.

Hence, curious about the finite element analysis (FEA) modeling that was performed on this steel structure. In particular, the location, number and size of weld points that were called out and specified in the FEA model and how that model changes, if any, with the welds being how they are in harryc's photograph.

Last edited by seadragon; Mar 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 9:46 AM

Eyeballing those photos, probably T/O by Memorial Day or so.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:23 PM
dream fast

3-24

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive