HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:13 PM

Thanks for the tremendous update, Zep! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a extension of that could be a video is worth a thousand pictures! Or doing the math, a video is a million words.

As per said video, demolition has begun again after multi-week abatement pause. Hurray.

It has been superseded by this newer video but YouTuber video-blogger user name "Metro Vancouver Construction Projects & Buildings" has an April 30th video on this bridge work. He is a SSP user, I believe, so shout out to him and his content on this and various other Vancouver construction projects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W223SgiLG14&t=186s

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
..."Metro Vancouver Construction Projects & Buildings" has an April 30th video on this bridge work...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W223SgiLG14&t=186s
I viewed (I am subscribed/liked all) his video on tuesday night and planned on checking it out the next day but
got distracted by jollyburger's Post #1729 and made a b-line for Senawk, only to then forget about the Connector until I heard the jackhammering.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:16 PM

seems like a lost opportunity for continuous retail along Pacific that could've been achieved by rebuilding 1-2 structural bays of the bridge with columns, with maintenance access off Pacific.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
seems like a lost opportunity for continuous retail along Pacific that could've been achieved by rebuilding 1-2 structural bays of the bridge with columns, with maintenance access off Pacific.
I think they wanted to leave the possibility to install a NEU under the rebuilt bridge section. The only way retail down there would even have a chance of working is if the city gave out the space for free.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 2:10 AM

There's an abutment there where the span across Pacific is supported.
Replacing that with columns and a lintel would require a lot more work and maybe closure of Pacific.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2749...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:53 PM

^^Ah, good point - not worth extending the demo across Pacific. I just got back from Tokyo few weeks ago, and they have retail in nearly all of their underpasses haha

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^Ah, good point - not worth extending the demo across Pacific. I just got back from Tokyo few weeks ago, and they have retail in nearly all of their underpasses haha
I don't know why we don't explore this opportunity here - something under the viaducts, or extend the retail where vancouver house is. Especially where it is city owned, it could provide a lot of opportunity for more small businesses to pop up with affordable rents etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure